Music: Rock bands where the "star" was not the lead singer?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Plus, Robbie Robertson paid Martin Scorsese to put him front and center in the Last Waltz film.
If you find the bootleg version, you’ll get see Neil Young with a huge streaks of cocaine under his nostrils before it scrubbed for comercial release.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If you find the bootleg version, you’ll get see Neil Young with a huge streaks of cocaine under his nostrils before it scrubbed for comercial release.

Yeah, a "big blob of cocaine" apparently.

Apparently they were all blitzed, including Scorsese.

Reactions: koyvoo

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’d argue Bonham over Plant, not Paige
It’s an acceptable argument to suggest Bonzo was the most integral or important member of the band, but he was never perceived as the biggest star in the band. Those are two different things. It was always Plant and Page who were on the magazine covers, were requested to do the interviews and had the adoration of the female fans etc.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s an acceptable argument to suggest Bonzo was the most integral or important member of the band, but he was never perceived as the biggest star in the band. Those are two different things. It was always Plant and Oage who wetevon the magazine covers, were requested to do the interviews and had the adoration of the female fans etc.

If anything, he was chronically underrated and apparently took it very hard when he was never given the props that someone like Keith Moon got.

I saw Jason Bonham play in Ottawa a ways back and he was telling a story about wanting to go see Stuart Copeland because he was his favourite drummer, and John brought him backstage after a Police concert to meet him. He said he was just a kid, but he never thought of how it might have made his Dad feel until he'd gotten older.

Reactions: koyvoo

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
the cars are such an odd band and it's always surprised me that ocasek got so much more of the attention over orr. both ocasek and orr put out an equal amount of hits (although i'd give orr the slight edge in regards to who sang the better songs)

Orr (just what i needed, let's go, drive, bye bye love, let's go)
Ocasek (magic, you might think, good times roll, shake it up, since you're gone, best friend's girlfriend)

its surprising why orr wasn't marketed more. he had the voice, the looks, and that whole 80s rock star persona. ocasek was far more reserved and didn't have that onstage persona/energy orr did. yet like you said it was ocasek who got all the fame and attention. orr was the far better vocalist in my opinion and even ocasek admitted (rather reluctantly) in their last interview together before orr's death that he would give the more difficult songs to orr

Orr shunned the spotlight and lived in Vermont for a while. He and Ocasek both in essence were anti-rock star rock stars. Orr's personality and disposition was unique at the time. He was well-spoken and had a remarkable voice and the presence of a front man. Equal amount of hits could be debated but overall I would say Ocasek sang roughly 55-60% of the songs. In the video era, Ocasek was the dynamic figure and it was known as his band. The band was tight but the desire to separate was apparent. Ocasek did a touching tribute to Orr on the Nexterday CD called "Silver." The hideous cancer that devoured Orr is evident in the reunion discussion with the five members. He was a talent.

Reactions: plank and mmalady

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Jaki Liebezeit is the strongest component of the band, Can, and he's the drummer. If not him, then it's Holger Czukay, the bassist, who seems to be the leader of the band.

Can's probably one of the few bands where the lead vocalist AND the lead guitarist are arguably the least involved members of the band (although Damo Suzuki is ****ing awesome in his specified role).

Agreed. But the real question now becomes, Mooney or Suzuki? I tend to lean towards Suzuki, and think his voice would fit more seamlessly with the earlier recordings than Mooney's would following the progression in Can's music, but Mooney at his best is probably more distinct/powerful than Suzuki, albeit less pretty.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
There are a ton, because any major rock band that has any focus on musicianship is going to have a well-known musician that's at least on equal footing as the singer. And several singers are also known for playing their instruments in their own right (think Megadeth or Green Day, etc), which equates to the same thing. What's more important to Megadeth... Dave Mustaine's voice or Dave Mustaine's guitar playing? I'd argue the latter all day long.
Mustaine's songwriting >>>>> Mustaine's vocals > Mustaine's guitar playing

There's a reason he always brings in a vastly superior guitarist. His skill hasn't really been outstanding since the early to mid 80s.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Dream Theater is a good one, both Portnoy and Petrucci have always been at the forefront.

One I'm more curious about than anything: how were Ann and Nancy Wilson perceived back in the day? I wasn't alive then and I'm not too familiar with Heart's history but I've always felt Nancy was the standout performer for them.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Dream Theater is a good one, both Portnoy and Petrucci have always been at the forefront.

One I'm more curious about than anything: how were Ann and Nancy Wilson perceived back in the day? I wasn't alive then and I'm not too familiar with Heart's history but I've always felt Nancy was the standout performer for them.

yeah, Nancy got pushed to the front more so in the 80s in their videos. Especially with Ann "growing"

Korn you can argue Fieldy was the bigger star than Davis, especially around the time of Follow the Leader

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Mustaine's songwriting >>>>> Mustaine's vocals > Mustaine's guitar playing

There's a reason he always brings in a vastly superior guitarist. His skill hasn't really been outstanding since the early to mid 80s.

He brings in a vastly superior lead player, but his rhythm stuff is really what I'm talking about and, IMO, what really made the band. At least that is until he damaged his radial nerve.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Also Travis from Blink 182 over Tom and Mark

Perhaps this is the case now. But unless you were into the underground scene no one knew who Travis Barker was prior to joining Blink 182. Back then Blink 182 was already established not only in the underground and achieved significant success in the mainstream with Dude Ranch. Personally that was also the last time I listened to these guys.

Their next record obviously took them to another level and beyond.

nudie

Feb 26, 2010
How would Oasis be judged? Obviously Noel was the genius but Liam had a bar none rock star personality.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
the cars are such an odd band and it's always surprised me that ocasek got so much more of the attention over orr. both ocasek and orr put out an equal amount of hits (although i'd give orr the slight edge in regards to who sang the better songs)

Orr (just what i needed, let's go, drive, bye bye love, let's go)
Ocasek (magic, you might think, good times roll, shake it up, since you're gone, best friend's girlfriend)

Ocasek wrote almost all of the hits. Not sure why you're giving Orr credit for songs Ocasek wrote.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
yes i know

i was talking about how it seems like they both sang on an equal number of the band's hits

I see, but that's pretty much why Ocasek is more well known. He was the brains behind the operation, did a lot of the legwork and marketing and people knew about it.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
King Crimson.

That was/is Robert Fripp's band with a rotating cast of other musicians and vocalists.

Oh I notice someone has already mentioned Crimson. Well, I second this.

Adrian Belew did stick around as lead singer for a long time. More than a decade, I think and was very creatively involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad