Music: Rock bands where the "star" was not the lead singer?

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
The Ramones. It's pretty even between Joey, Johnny and Dee Dee.

The Rolling Stones. Mick is probably the biggest star, but fans of the band would probably go with Keef.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The Ramones. It's pretty even between Joey, Johnny and Dee Dee.

The Rolling Stones. Mick is probably the biggest star, but fans of the band would probably go with Keef.
Who the hell is Keef? :laugh:

giphy.gif

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Do people think Page was a bigger star than Plant? Kind of seems like they're 1A and 1B.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. But the real question now becomes, Mooney or Suzuki? I tend to lean towards Suzuki, and think his voice would fit more seamlessly with the earlier recordings than Mooney's would following the progression in Can's music, but Mooney at his best is probably more distinct/powerful than Suzuki, albeit less pretty.
I think Suzuki wins by default just by virtue of contributing to significantly stronger material. Mooney's awesome too, though.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think Suzuki wins by default just by virtue of contributing to significantly stronger material. Mooney's awesome too, though.

I have a hard time deciding which I like better, Suzuki's performance on Oh Yeah, or Mooney's on The Thief. Vocals only, I'm tempted to go with the latter, and while The Thief is one of their stronger songs, Oh Yeah is simply one of the greatest tracks of all-time.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
You could make the argument for Brian Eno being the star of Roxy Music early on. Ferry was the main guy doing the writing and everything, and was pushed to be the true frontman of the group, but everywhere they went it was Eno that everyone wanted to interview. Ferry has said himself that he didn't like doing interviews and just felt awkward talking to people, while Eno was very charismatic and just looked weird as well, so he often got all the attention from fans and critics.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
How is it not Steve Harris?

I love Bruce, but they've had 4 albums (2 of them even good!) Without Bruce.

I think most serious fans of the band realize that Harris is the band's leader and most important member, but Dickinson is probably more famous among casual fans, so I don't think Maiden qualifies here.

(Unpopular opinion - "The X Factor" was one of the best albums they've ever done).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think most serious fans of the band realize that Harris is the band's leader and most important member, but Dickinson is probably more famous among casual fans, so I don't think Maiden qualifies here.

(Unpopular opinion - "The X Factor" was one of the best albums they've ever done).
I would like X Factor if it was a different band, I think.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Pink Floyd?

David Gilmour may be more famous than Roger Waters.

I guess they are sort of co-lead singers.
I always considered Gilmour and Waters to be on equal ground in terms of contributions to the group, personally.

(Except for the Final Cut and the Wall, obviously)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Iron Maiden : Dickinson is the really, really, really obvious star here, despite not being the band's leader (that's Steve Harris).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm trying to come up with an answer for Nightwish :

You have a Face (whoever is the lead singer at the moment - now Floor Jansen), a Lead (keyboardist Tuomas Holopalainen) and a Star (at this point, it's probably bassist-male/back vocalist-huge ham Marko Hietala).

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Chikenfoot? Could be argued that guitarist Joe Satriani is a bigger draw than Sammy Haggard. I mean he is the reason I bought their albums, just to listen to Satch's guitar playing.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

I dont know if the album as a whole is one of their best. But sign of the cross is a top 10 maiden song.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Tommy Lee of Motley Crüe and Travis Barker of Blink 182 are good examples of the drummers being the most prominent members of the band.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad