Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Man some of the reactions here are puzzling. Gotta be honest, I know Wedgewood is struggling but if this team actually finishes on it's many MANY chances then it isn't an issue. Don't expect 6K to start Wednesday, I don't know if there's a coach in the league that would take their chances on a fresh rookie out of juniors in an elimination game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Man some of the reactions here are puzzling. Gotta be honest, I know Wedgewood is struggling but if this team actually finishes on it's many MANY chances then it isn't an issue. Don't expect 6K to start Wednesday, I don't know if there's a coach in the league that would take their chances on a fresh rookie out of juniors in an elimination game.

I don’t expect 6K to get the start. This would be a different series if half the shots that hit iron went in. It is on the shooters. Yet Wedgewood has struggled and could be better.

Reactions: joshjull

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Play UPL. Why not? It’s hero season. Let’s see what the kid’s made of.

Exactly, I really think Montreal should back and review its decision to start a rookie in the playoffs in 1970-71. To hell with him winning the Conn Smythe! You can’t throw someone into that situation after six NHL games!

Reactions: Der Jaeger

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Exactly, I really think Montreal should back and review its decision to start a rookie in the playoffs in 1970-71. To hell with him winning the Conn Smythe! You can’t throw someone into that situation after six NHL games!

Or the Canadians letting Carey Price start over Yann Denis in the Calder Cup playoffs.

Reactions: HogtownSabresfan

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The dumb thing is that people keep referring to Roy and Price in regards to starting a young up-and-coming goalie as some sort of evidence of it being a proven solution. Just a heads up guys, 2 players pulling it off in 40 years is not the sign of a pattern, it's an exception.

Agree, but I still think Taylor should give UPL a shot. If he flops, so be it. But maybe he rises to the challenge. He’s done so everywhere he’s been.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
How much more evidence does one need that Wedgewood is off? He’s got two quality starts in his last 11, and a sub-.870 SV%. He also looks uncomfortable in his movements in net - very mechanical. I wouldn’t be calling for UPL if Rochester’s backup wasn’t also a turd.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
The dumb thing is that people keep referring to Roy and Price in regards to starting a young up-and-coming goalie as some sort of evidence of it being a proven solution. Just a heads up guys, 2 players pulling it off in 40 years is not the sign of a pattern, it's an exception.
Youre right we should just keep everything the same and get swept 2 years in a row. What a success Rochester has become.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Youre right we should just keep everything the same and get swept 2 years in a row. What a success Rochester has become.

Nice strawman, come on dude. You should know I'm not happy with Wedgewood, I just think people need to temper their expectations with 6K.

It's also worth noting that the Amerks have been leagues better on the road than at home all season long.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Even with how badly Wedgewood has played, if half of the times they hit the metal had gone in, this series could be two nothing Rochester. I don’t like the tandem they installed for the Americans. It seems to be biting them in the ass at the absolute worst time. And by the same token the idea of someone riding in to save the day in the way that Montréal’s teo modern era most storied net-minders have would be amazing and yet so very unlikely. If the dynamics of the series were that it was a best-of-seven and they were down two games to one, I could see them trying it. But these guys are dyed in the wool traditionalists. They are going to do it and the battle cry will continue to be that the shooters need to be better. And they do. And so does the goaltending.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Goaltending is definitely an issue for the the team right now, scoring is an even bigger issue. If we have to rely on a goalie to stand on his head every game then we're not going very far.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Nice strawman, come on dude. You should know I'm not happy with Wedgewood, I just think people need to temper their expectations with 6K.

It's also worth noting that the Amerks have been leagues better on the road than at home all season long.
Its nothing about tempering expectations Wedgewood will never be an NHL goalie and nobody even has faith he could get us a Calder. Its gonna be Ullmarks 6 ga all over again and not only will the whole Sabres season be a waste but the amerks as well . Not to mention the spark players get having an awesome goalie in net.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Its nothing about tempering expectations Wedgewood will never be an NHL goalie and nobody even has faith he could get us a Calder. Its gonna be Ullmarks 6 ga all over again and not only will the whole Sabres season be a waste but the amerks as well . Not to mention the spark players get having an awesome goalie in net.

And what if he bombs? I'm not sure putting in a rookie goaltender creates a spark in the lineup, rather it appears desperate. These players barely know the kid, he just came to the team 2 weeks ago. It's not an easy situation, because if the Amerks lose on 6K's account it's not gonna look good for Taylor.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
How much more evidence does one need that Wedgewood is off? He’s got two quality starts in his last 11, and a sub-.870 SV%. He also looks uncomfortable in his movements in net - very mechanical. I wouldn’t be calling for UPL if Rochester’s backup wasn’t also a turd.

Wedgewood hasn't been good lately---and Wilcox has never been good---but the Amerks could still easily be up 2-0 in this series if the skaters were finishing. They need their scorers to start scoring more than anything.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The parallels between Pilut’s early-season play and Guhle’s early-season play last season, their treatment in Buffalo, and their struggles upon returning to the farm club are too similar to ignore.

Maybe the Housley’s are looking for a butler, opening a door seems to be about the only thing that Tennyson is good at.
Maybe they can lend them Sobotka to walk their dog offensivly aka not getting out of the house at all

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
And what if he bombs? I'm not sure putting in a rookie goaltender creates a spark in the lineup, rather it appears desperate. These players barely know the kid, he just came to the team 2 weeks ago. It's not an easy situation, because if the Amerks lose on 6K's account it's not gonna look good for Taylor.
I think the only compelling argument for not playing UPL is that it could hurt his development and confidence. It's definitely a compelling reason.

Wedgewood is already bombing.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Let me preface this by saying I agree with you, and UPL shouldn't/won't start, but it happens more often than that.

For an example closer to home, my hometown AHL team in Binghamton won the Calder Cup thanks to Robin Lehner getting the start in game 5 of the opening round, down 3-1 (back when the opening round was 7 games).

Lehner stood on his head the rest of the playoffs and won MVP. Veteran Barry Brust never played another game in the playoffs.

Granted, Lehner had about 20 games of pro experience before the playoffs, so not exactly the same as UPL, but it happens.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I don't want a coach who does the same things everybody else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->