Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I think the only compelling argument for not playing UPL is that it could hurt his development and confidence. It's definitely a compelling reason.

Wedgewood is already bombing.

The problem with 6k is that he isn't a known quantity. I'm not against starting him but I gotta at least be devil's advocate for a bit because I don't think it's as black and white as people may think.

Reactions: vcv

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
The problem with 6k is that he isn't a known quantity. I'm not against starting him but I gotta at least be devil's advocate for a bit because I don't think it's as black and white as people may think.
I mean he was arguably the best goalie in junior hockey this year, and there's a lot of skill and speed in the OHL. He looked pretty good in his one game at the end of the AHL season. Wedgewood has been the worse goaltender in both games so I don't see a huge risk in sitting him for the kid.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I mean he was arguably the best goalie in junior hockey this year, and there's a lot of skill and speed in the OHL. He looked pretty good in his one game at the end of the AHL season. Wedgewood has been the worse goaltender in both games so I don't see a huge risk in sitting him for the kid.

There is a huge talent disparity between the OHL and the AHL, just ask Alex Nylander.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

It’s not black and white, rather who gives a crap. It’s the AHL and we are down 2-0. Give him a whirl. I’d be more against throwing him into game 80 of a garbage Sabres squad

Reactions: Buffaloed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
"It's the AHL"

I love that type of response.

Drives me f***ing nuts, but then again, I'm not a Rochester native, only an Amerk fan by proxy of attending school at SUNY Geneseo in the '80's. I don't get the idea -- especially from Buffalonians -- that somehow Amerk fans should just accept bad hockey or silly risks because it's not the NHL. Fans want to be entertained. Give them wins. Win f***ing games. It's what all sports fans want and the idea that one set of fans has to sublimate their own desire to be part of their team winning for the sake of another rubs me the wrong way. There is no reason that the Amerks shouldn't be a good, nay powerful, team every season. Others manage it, it's not rocket science to have a strong core of veterans and a good AHL goalie that can then be filled in around with the development projects, hot shot prospects, and the rest of the parent club's depth. That goes for any league that sifts players up to higher tiers of competition -- just because they may be a feeder does not mean they should be shit on.

"It's just the..." ability to watch a team actually compete and win. "It's just the..." hard earned money of people who continue to stick with the team even when the on-ice product has been shitty for almost 15 years. "It's just the..." frustration of constantly being brushed off as unimportant simply based on the structure of the mutual relationship as view purely from a taker perspective.

f*** me.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
At this point, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, unless the Amerks win.

Scenario A: Wedgewood Starts:
Amerks win: Props to the players and/or Wedgewood for rebounding.
Marlies win: Taylor sucks for starting an ice cold goalie.

Scenario B: Wilcox Starts:
Amerks win: Props to the players for rebounding and Wilcox for stepping up. Props to Taylor for shaking things up.
Marlies win: Taylor sucks for starting the terrible backup.

Scenario C: UPL Starts:
Amerks win: Props to the players for rebounding and UPL for being up to the challenge. Props to Taylor for being ballsy.
Marlies win: Taylor sucks for throwing UPL to the wolves.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
"It's the AHL"

I love that type of response.
As someone who spent a decade in Rochester and is an Amerks fan, ya it’s the AHL. That matters when you talk about Pilut playing half a season in Buffalo or losing players when Buffalo hits bad injuries, not so much about who the goalie is in an elimination game. Getting jacked like this is a big f in the a to an otherwise inspiring season and makes everyone look bad.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Drives me ****ing nuts, but then again, I'm not a Rochester native, only an Amerk fan by proxy of attending school at SUNY Geneseo in the '80's. I don't get the idea -- especially from Buffalonians -- that somehow Amerk fans should just accept bad hockey or silly risks because it's not the NHL. Fans want to be entertained. Give them wins. Win ****ing games. It's what all sports fans want and the idea that one set of fans has to sublimate their own desire to be part of their team winning for the sake of another rubs me the wrong way. There is no reason that the Amerks shouldn't be a good, nay powerful, team every season. Others manage it, it's not rocket science to have a strong core of veterans and a good AHL goalie that can then be filled in around with the development projects, hot shot prospects, and the rest of the parent club's depth. That goes for any league that sifts players up to higher tiers of competition -- just because they may be a feeder does not mean they should be **** on.

"It's just the..." ability to watch a team actually compete and win. "It's just the..." hard earned money of people who continue to stick with the team even when the on-ice product has been ****ty for almost 15 years. "It's just the..." frustration of constantly being brushed off as unimportant simply based on the structure of the mutual relationship as view purely from a taker perspective.

**** me.

No shit eh. I live in Geneseo, drive by the college every day to go to work.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No **** eh. I live in Geneseo, drive by the college every day to go to work.

I proudly can state the only rink I've ever been thrown out of is the Broome County Arena due to the antics of myself and other Amerk fans from the school who were there to watch Ray-Metcalfe-Kerr line. My memory is hazy, but I think that was the game Kerr got a gross misconduct for biting one of the Whalers.

keithLGA

Jun 2, 2009
Rochester, NY
www.letsgoamerks.com
At this point, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, unless the Amerks win.

Scenario A: Wedgewood Starts:
Amerks win: Props to the players and/or Wedgewood for rebounding.
Marlies win: Taylor sucks for starting an ice cold goalie.

Scenario B: Wilcox Starts:
Amerks win: Props to the players for rebounding and Wilcox for stepping up. Props to Taylor for shaking things up.
Marlies win: Taylor sucks for starting the terrible backup.

Scenario C: UPL Starts:
Amerks win: Props to the players for rebounding and UPL for being up to the challenge. Props to Taylor for being ballsy.
Marlies win: Taylor sucks for throwing UPL to the wolves.
Those are extremes. Anyone who says Taylor sucks is the extreme minority. Yes, I know there's a couple people out there but every fan base of every team has those. They shouldn't lead a discussion.

No matter what, you summed up any playoff series. Lose, there's questions. Win, there's praises.

Reactions: Chainshot

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
With the Leafs being eliminated, I wonder if Hutchinson is back and if he goes into the Marlies net.
Assuming that he doesn't need to pass through waivers again (which I'm not sure he would need to. He definitely wouldn't if all of his recalls previous to his current one were emergency recalls), I'm not sure they stick him in tomorrow. If Kaskisuo struggles, sure, but otherwise I'm not sure they have any particular reason to deviate from what's working now. Obviously if Hutchinson does need to go through waivers to be sent down, then he wouldn't be available tomorrow.

keithLGA

Jun 2, 2009
Rochester, NY
www.letsgoamerks.com
When Hutchinson was called up everything said he'd have to clear waivers to go back. Maybe that'd be a benefit for Rochester since they can't score on Kaskisuo at all. I'd be more concerned about Calle Rosen and Trevor Moore being sent back.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Hutchinson cleared waivers back in September. For that to expire (that is, for the player to require waivers again), he must either 1) be on the NHL roster for 30 days (including across multiple recalls) or play 10 NHL games, while on a non-emergency recall (or not being loaned following clearing waivers), or 2) play 10 games while on emergency recall (games played while on regular recall do not count towards this total).

In Hutchinson's case, he's played in 9 NHL games this season, which means he does not hit the games played requirement under either criteria. So we have to look at the 30 days on the NHL roster requirement. In that case, any days spent on an NHL roster while under an emergency recall do not count. I certainly don't know whether all of Hutchinson's recalls prior to his most recent one (to replace Sparks) were emergency recalls, and I'm not sure there is really any way to find out since such things aren't always published. That said, we can look at the lengths of Hutchinson's recalls and certainly conclude that at least some of them must have been emergency recalls (as Hutchinson only cleared waivers once this season, which means that his original clearing of waivers did not expire prior to the most recent time he was loaned to the AHL).

Hutchinson was first recalled on 10/7, and was subsequently returned on 11/5. He was recalled again on 11/24 and loaned again on 12/4. Following his trade to Toronto, he was recalled again 1/3 and loaned back on 1/14. His most recent recall began 4/5.
Clearly his first 3 recalls must have totaled more than 30 days, meaning that some (or all) of those three must have been emergency recalls. It isn't unreasonable to assume that they all were. Even with his most recent recall being a regular recall (as I do not think that sending a player away from the team to work on his game can create an emergency condition), that would give him fewer than 30 days spent on the NHL roster while on a regular recall. If any one of his previous recalls was not an emergency recall, then he would require waivers to be sent back down. But I see no reason to assume that is the case, and not knowing any of the specifics I would assume all of his previous recalls were emergency recalls. If that is the case, he should not require waivers to be sent back down.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Those are extremes. Anyone who says Taylor sucks is the extreme minority. Yes, I know there's a couple people out there but every fan base of every team has those. They shouldn't lead a discussion.

No matter what, you summed up any playoff series. Lose, there's questions. Win, there's praises.

So some of your twitter followers can be a bit extreme huh. :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
@Chainshot
@Tsyolin

Geneseo, eh? He - he, quite the party school from what I (vaguely) remember late 70's, early 80's....

Former UB team mate of mine was/is the soccer coach and AD there....

They cleaned up their act and had academic props by the time I got there.

So... disappointing. Getting swept again after showing a lot of promise is the same sort of bitter taste that the big club left fans with too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad