Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Maybe. There’s talent there, but it’s very unproven. Young talented players don’t always pan out, even in the AHL. The only one listed that has proven he can score in the AHL is Smith.

Agree...very skilled group there. I don't see them as the top 6 right now, I meant they're just the 6 most skilled on the team. A couple more physically/defensively oriented guys are gonna have to play up there. Maybe Malone/Porter/Simpson.

Still though, it makes me optimistic for the future to see a lot of talent in the pipeline. Let's all hope a few of them actually pan out.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
This is great. I will spend the 79 bucks. Now the next step is for the AHL to make teams install TV lighting and get HD cameras. The quality of video and camera work in the AHL varies from 80s cable access TV to pretty good, Rochester's unfortunately is the former.

ForsakenSabre

Save Us MIttelstadt
Jan 31, 2013
Buffalo
This is great. I will spend the 79 bucks. Now the next step is for the AHL to make teams install TV lighting and get HD cameras. The quality of video and camera work in the AHL varies from 80s cable access TV to pretty good, Rochester's unfortunately is the former.

I could be wrong but I think i saw somewhere that they are forcing the teams to get HD cameras.

Reactions: AustonsNostrils

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think Asplund, Oloffson and Borgen sold some of these subscriptions tonight.

Reactions: Digable5

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Asplund wins a job. Olofsson is going to the AHL, though. Same with Borgen.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Asplund wins a job. Olofsson is going to the AHL, though. Same with Borgen.
I think they want Asplund to get top 6 minutes in all situations in Rochester. I think this management group is very patient development wise and, especially based on previous comments, would want to see him excel in the AHL first. But with injuries anything is possible.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I think it will take a hell of a camp from any young kid to force the way on to the Sabres roster barring injuries.

Forwards (13): Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Okposo, Sheary, Rodrigues, Berglund, Pominville, Girgensons, Wilson, Larsson, Sobotka.

Assuming we keep 13 forwards only as normal. The bottom half of that list is nothing special but they are established vet NHLers who I think have a spot on the team unless they really start to fall apart.

That really leaves Rochester quite loaded if so, no?

Forwards (13): Smith, Porter, Thompson, Olofsson, Nylander, Asplund, Simpson, Criscuolo, Malone, Baptiste, Bailey, Oglevie, O'Regan

That is over 4 rows deep of quality guys. It wouldn't surprise me to see almost all of them get NHL looks throughout the season, but I think that is the way it starts if no injuries occur.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
So keep players who might be ready away from the NHL because Botterill might have to waive players like Larsson and Sobotka?
Well Botterill absolutely isn’t waiving Sobotka, that’s ridiculous. And I maintain this management group is smart enough not to rush prospects for no reason at all.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Well Botterill absolutely isn’t waiving Sobotka, that’s ridiculous. And I maintain this management group is smart enough not to rush prospects for no reason at all.

The best 21 players should make the roster. If the player was thought to be a Rochester player, but plays into the best 21, so be it. If they can't make it during the first few weeks, they get sent down.

There's reasons why I said Olofsson and Asplund specifically. They've played in a men's league. One that the scoring rate translates into NHL scoring at a higher rate than the AHL. One is the SHL's leading scorer. The other is a puck hound who does all the little things which a successful 2-way NHL does.

Again, I won't be surprised if both make it out of camp.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Aware. It shouldn't govern who makes the team.
But it does in many cases, you can’t ignore that. I think both players in question are very promising, which is why I think they want them in the AHL getting a ton of minutes as opposed to a more limited role in the NHL. Both will see NHL time this season. It doesn’t need to be in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna