Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
"The quality of mercy is not strained. It dropped as the gentle rain from heaven." Fair comment is not just critical comments although they need to be said and placed in context. Nylander is more good than bad right now and seems to be improving. Guhle for all his merits just does not seem to have "it" Never a point producer, never picked for Canada juniors. It just does not look like he can put it all together.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The fact Olafsson and Pilut are having such a seamless transition to NA bodes well, both along with Nylander will be up soon. Asplund might not be up this year, they probably want to develop his offensive game.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Maybe Guhle's confidence got shot by something from camp? His dev camp was stellar.

You just don't lose skills.

But even AHL scrubs can look good against never will be's. Seeing how people go in dev camp and rookie tournies only means so much. Several years ago a just turned 18 Baptiste went into the Traverse City rookie tourny and was the best player in the tourney, the whole tourney not just for Buffalo, and look where he is today.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
With both Nylander and Olofsson playing LW so far, I'm interested to see which of the two gets the first call-up if they send Thompson to Rochester during or after the Sabres' west coast trip. Nylander had the better NHL preseason, and Olofsson is gangbusters right now in the AHL - two straight games as the #1 star, and the #2 star in their win on Wednesday night.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
With both Nylander and Olofsson playing LW so far, I'm interested to see which of the two gets the first call-up if they send Thompson to Rochester during or after the Sabres' west coast trip. Nylander had the better NHL preseason, and Olofsson is gangbusters right now in the AHL - two straight games as the #1 star, and the #2 star in their win on Wednesday night.

I think Olofsson can play on his off wing effectively. Might even be better. He slotted there sometimes in the SHL.

Reactions: Son of Petter

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Probably Nylander. While he still plays a lazy game, and likely always will, he’s done more when he has the puck this season than last. I think he’s done enough so far in the regular season to justify the first call up.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
Probably Nylander. While he still plays a lazy game, and likely always will, he’s done more when he has the puck this season than last. I think he’s done enough so far in the regular season to justify the first call up.

I'm not trying to come across as rude or ignorant, and i appreciate your insight as someone who follows the Amerks, but you said in the Nylander thread two days ago he "isn't anywhere close to being ready for the NHL", now you feel a call-up is justifiable?

Just curious why your tune has changed the past 48 hours.

Thanks!

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm not trying to come across as rude or ignorant, and i appreciate your insight as someone who follows the Amerks, but you said in the Nylander thread two days ago he "isn't anywhere close to being ready for the NHL", now you feel a call-up is justifiable?

Just curious why your tune has changed the past 48 hours.

Thanks!
My opinion is that he’s not NHL ready as a whole. But he had a good camp and has played decent enough. I’m saying what I think the Sabres do, independent of my own thoughts.

Reactions: Weaves

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Wasnt olofsson bad in camp? Nylander is still the more talented of them two.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
How has Borgen looked?

He’s looking like a defenseman trying to adjust to pro hockey. He hasn’t been great but his mistakes are things that are very fixable and come with time at the pro level. In particular his gap control is something that needs work. He was responsible for a goal against because he simply intentionally gave the forward too much space on the rush and he snapped it. He’ll learn that pro shots are way to lethal for that.

With that said he doesn’t look out of his depth or anything. Just going to take some time. He’s been paired with MacWilliams since he came back from suspension and I think that’s a good spot for him. They’ll get some heavy defensive minutes and he can learn a lot from him.

Reactions: kundahlini

SwedeDreams

Oct 15, 2018
I am guessing you are Swedish and excitement is awesome but that really didn't answer the question.
Ya i know, but i still think Olofsson is more ready to contribute and deliver something from first game. He Will score goals. Simple as that. He Will bring more to the table.
Sorry just excited! I guess time Will tell (if he gets a real chance)

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
My opinion is that he’s not NHL ready as a whole. But he had a good camp and has played decent enough. I’m saying what I think the Sabres do, independent of my own thoughts.

I know Olofsson is producing. Separate from the numbers, how has he looked? Likewise, Asplund hasn't done much offensively. Is he playing well in spite of that?

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I know Olofsson is producing. Separate from the numbers, how has he looked? Likewise, Asplund hasn't done much offensively. Is he playing well in spite of that?

Olofsson needs to round out his game 5v5 in his own zone. He’s never going to be a great two way guy but it needs improvement before he can hold down an NHL roster spot.

Asplund is certainly going through an adjustment period but is getting better game by game. Thought he looked very dangerous in the third period of the last game. Only a matter of time until the points follow.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I haven’t watched much of the last few games. Opening weekend Olofsson was alright. I honestly didn’t notice him much. But it looks like he’s found his game. He’s going to score a lot goals with that shot regardless of how his overall game is. People probably need to tone down the calls for a recall already.

Asplund I haven’t been overly impressed with. A couple nice rushes here and there. He’s solid defensively. He’s going to need most of the season. I would bet by Christmas he’ll look considerably better and push for a callup in 2019.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Wasnt olofsson bad in camp? Nylander is still the more talented of them two.

To answer your question, he was just "there". He didn't wow, and he sometimes struggled vs other teams' prospects in areas in his overall game, but that shot is deadly, and he showcased it a few times.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC

Aslpund needs more time, and I wouldn't be surprised if he spends the entire season in the AHL. That honestly wouldn't be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad