Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Question for regular watchers: Is the team really in a bad state as the Jason guy/sabresfan27 says?

They went into a downswing after leading their division by a pretty healthy margin, nothing too crazy. Boston did pretty much the same thing in our division except they had already built such an insurmountable lead that it didn't matter. The Amerks are now in second place in their division, 4 points back of the leader with two games in hand on them. Still in pretty good shape especially after winning 3 in a row, how they end up depends on how the rest of the season plays out. Remember that the AHL does playoffs differently, Top 4 teams from each division duke it out first. So as long as the Amerks finish top 4, they're in.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
depending on how you are layering your draft picks...I kid...

I feel he will develop just like other prospects we have gotten rid of, he’ll turn into a bottom 6 player with pedestrian numbers without coming close to the potential he had.
I am not sure he is even an NHL player if he doesn't make it as top6/9.
He is not a fast skater/ not physical/ very bad in the dzone.
If he doesnt put up the numbers I see not much of a future.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I am not sure he is even an NHL player if he doesn't make it as top6/9.
He is not a fast skater/ not physical/ very bad in the dzone.
If he doesnt put up the numbers I see not much of a future.

that’s fair.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Utica fan coming in good faith.

Raised in the South Wedge of Rochester and lived there until college graduation brought me to the Utica area in 1972 for my lifelong employment. Retired in 2005. The Comets came here in 2013 and I have been a season ticket holder ever since. Love the AHL. So many NHL players come out of this league and so many hyped wannabees get their comeuppance here as well.

Was a huge Amerks fan growing up. Started in 1959-60 season and lived through a lot of Calder Cup thrills especially from 1964-68. They won 3 cups in that 4 year span and have only won 3 more in the 51 years since. Those teams were loaded with so many historic hockey names. Bronco Horvath, Gerry Cheevers, and Al Arbour just to drop a couple names.What a special time my high school years produced. Not many fans get to experience that kind of joy in so short a span in time.

Off the topic But the Red Wings were also a huge hit during my youth, especially after they changed affiliations from the St. Louis Cardinals to the Baltimore Orioles in 1961. Man some great players went through their in the '60's. A very large number of them ended up on the Orioles' rosters: Paul Blair, Andy Etchebarren, Mark Belanger, Don Baylor, Bobby Grich, Davey Johnson, Terry Crowley, etc.

Seeking some Info on Justin Bailey.

What line was he on? Was that line 1st, 2nd, etc.

Did he play on the #1 Power Play and if so what spot did he occupy.

In Utica he is on the 2nd line.
He plays 1st unit PP and is stationed at the net front in the 1-3-1 umbrella attack.
Currently tied for 2nd in the AHL with 24 goals. He has 40 total points in 45 GP.
Did anyone see this coming when he played for the Amerks?

Thanks for the info if you respond.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
No they didn’t. Honestly this nonsense should have died awhile back. They were never expecting Mitts to be the 2C in his rookie season to replace ROR.

The **** up with Mitts was thinking he was NHL ready. It starts and ends there. We don’t need to make up things to make it worse than it already is.
But they kinda saw him as 3C which is equally bad given the result and persistence for nearly all his time in the NHL.
What is true and from which this misconception might stem from is that some users here especially the anti RoR crowd (many of those didn't even see RoR as a 2C at the time of a trade more as a glorified hyped 3C) on the other hand a few of them argued that he would be or offensive 2C while Berglund/Sobotka would carry 3C/ defensive loads.
I knew that Berglund/Sob were cap dumps but I didn't expected Mitts to be as bad as he was coming into camp that year.

Last edited:

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Raised in the South Wedge of Rochester and lived there until college graduation brought me to the Utica area in 1972 for my lifelong employment. Retired in 2005. The Comets came here in 2013 and I have been a season ticket holder ever since. Love the AHL. So many NHL players come out of this league and so many hyped wannabees get their comeuppance here as well.

Was a huge Amerks fan growing up. Started in 1959-60 season and lived through a lot of Calder Cup thrills especially from 1964-68. They won 3 cups in that 4 year span and have only won 3 more in the 51 years since. Those teams were loaded with so many historic hockey names. Bronco Horvath, Gerry Cheevers, and Al Arbour just to drop a couple names.What a special time my high school years produced. Not many fans get to experience that kind of joy in so short a span in time.

Off the topic But the Red Wings were also a huge hit during my youth, especially after they changed affiliations from the St. Louis Cardinals to the Baltimore Orioles in 1961. Man some great players went through their in the '60's. A very large number of them ended up on the Orioles' rosters: Paul Blair, Andy Etchebarren, Mark Belanger, Don Baylor, Bobby Grich, Davey Johnson, Terry Crowley, etc.

He plays 1st unit PP and is stationed at the net front in the 1-3-1 umbrella attack.
Currently tied for 2nd in the AHL with 24 goals. He has 40 total points in 45 GP.

I'm in Hamilton, about 20 minutes away from Utica and pay attention to the Comets, listen to their games and follow their news.

Did anyone foresee Bailey going on a hat trick streak? No, safe to say. With that, I was always a fan of his athleticism although not much of a mean streak. His final OHL season he was traded, if memory serves, and broke out some, giving us some hope. He was always touted as a raw prospect, starting hockey a little late.

Not great edges but good straight away speed and the big frame. A Buffalo born prospect which always garners some extra attention. He was a good (not great) young AHLer but in his call-ups, looked pretty lost at times, even in stretches of several games. The cupboard was pretty bare at the time so he was given a relatively lengthy opportunity.

None the less, he wasn't contributing much at all in Buffalo and was moved soon after. Looks like the Comets found a good niche for him and glad to see he's having some success but you probably won't hear too much praises around here. Cheers

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm in Hamilton, about 20 minutes away from Utica and pay attention to the Comets, listen to their games and follow their news.

Did anyone foresee Bailey going on a hat trick streak? No, safe to say. With that, I was always a fan of his athleticism although not much of a mean streak. His final OHL season he was traded, if memory serves, and broke out some, giving us some hope. He was always touted as a raw prospect, starting hockey a little late.

Not great edges but good straight away speed and the big frame. A Buffalo born prospect which always garners some extra attention. He was a good (not great) young AHLer but in his call-ups, looked pretty lost at times, even in stretches of several games. The cupboard was pretty bare at the time so he was given a relatively lengthy opportunity.

None the less, he wasn't contributing much at all in Buffalo and was moved soon after. Looks like the Comets found a good niche for him and glad to see he's having some success but you probably won't hear too much praises around here. Cheers

To add on to what you said, he was one of those guys who got called up and seemed like he was either with Eichel or he was on the 4th line. With him and Baptiste, they had two straight-line fast guys who had some finish in the OHL that they never translated. He was used on both wings in Rochester at times. The engagement was a problem, but the mess that has been the Sabres development system could be a contributing factor there. He most definitely had PP time and scoring line deployment in Rochester. That he's had a run of good luck in Utica is nice - good for the local guy and more power to him.

A few years ago, he was their best player in one of their 3-and-out playoff series, but hurt himself in it. It just never all came together, got tabbed as someone who has to be in an offensive role and didn't bring it every night, rightly or wrongly. If he's worked through that and using his tools consistently, maybe he'll get another NHL chance.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

Not really surprised. It's about the same scoring pace he had for the Amerks a few years ago.

People will question his ability to play at the NHL level but they're also forgetting him, Baptiste, and Smith were usually getting 8 minutes a night playing with the great :sarcasm: Jordan Nolan.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Thanks for the response, but you didn't answer my questions which were the original reason for my post. Do you know the answers.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not really surprised. It's about the same scoring pace he had for the Amerks a few years ago.

People will question his ability to play at the NHL level but they're also forgetting him, Baptiste, and Smith were usually getting 8 minutes a night playing with the great :sarcasm: Jordan Nolan.

Thanks for your response but you did not answer the questions which were the original reason for my post. Do you have the answers?

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Thanks for the response, but you didn't answer my questions which were the original reason for my post. Do you know the answers.

I could only comment on whether or not I was surprised by his production, which I wasn't since I feel like he could still fill a role in the NHL even. I thought others covered the rest and I didn't comment on that part because I don't remember. Lineup charts say he started the season as 1st line RWer and he was on PP1. Previous seasons I think him and Baptiste rotated into the top line as RWers.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I could only comment on whether or not I was surprised by his production, which I wasn't since I feel like he could still fill a role in the NHL even. I thought others covered the rest and I didn't comment on that part because I don't remember. Lineup charts say he started the season as 1st line RWer and he was on PP1. Previous seasons I think him and Baptiste rotated into the top line as RWers.

That's the stuff I was interested in learning. He is 2nd line here and early on was actually 3rd line!
He is 1st PP, but plays the net front. Was he out on the wing on the Amerks PP?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
To add on to what you said, he was one of those guys who got called up and seemed like he was either with Eichel or he was on the 4th line. With him and Baptiste, they had two straight-line fast guys who had some finish in the OHL that they never translated. He was used on both wings in Rochester at times. The engagement was a problem, but the mess that has been the Sabres development system could be a contributing factor there. He most definitely had PP time and scoring line deployment in Rochester. That he's had a run of good luck in Utica is nice - good for the local guy and more power to him.

A few years ago, he was their best player in one of their 3-and-out playoff series, but hurt himself in it. It just never all came together, got tabbed as someone who has to be in an offensive role and didn't bring it every night, rightly or wrongly. If he's worked through that and using his tools consistently, maybe he'll get another NHL chance.

Thanks, even though you didn't post that comment to me. I just found it reading through this thread. It was helpful. One more question. You say he was on the 1st PP. Did he play the net front position or was he a set up wing or a shooting wing from either either half boards to the dot.

He has played both wings here also, but seems to more often be the LW. Was that his most successful spot for the Amerks or was RW his more prominent spot.

Not trying to be a jerk here. I'm just very interested to see the comparison between how Rochester deployed him vs how the Comets are doing it. He is having the best offensive season of his pro career and I'm trying to figure out just why 2 other franchises quit on this guy. I know it's not the coaching here that has created his upswing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I recall his final season he was playing LW with Nylander on RW a bit, before they then put Nylander on LW. This is probably more a question for STH's like @keithLGA or @Tsyolin

keithLGA

Jun 2, 2009
Rochester, NY
www.letsgoamerks.com

Bailey was a first/second line player in Rochester. Playing time was equal on those lines, so, for arguments sake could say he was a first line player.
He played on the power play. I don't recall if he was 1st or 2nd unit. Similar to 1st/2nd lines, pretty equal times. Not like anyone was lights out above the rest.

His performance this season is what everyone hoped would happen in Rochester but it never did. In a way could've seen this coming. Never wrote him off as a total bust with a dead end career. He has the speed and skills, was just a matter of putting it all together. Many said the speed of an NHL player and hands of a beer league player. Seems like it's all come together! Like many players in any organization, they reach a plateau and need a fresh start. He has that with Utica this season and it's cool to watch. He's such a genuine guy it's great to see him having success.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nice feed from my adopted son to Wilson to spring a breakaway:

Son... we need to talk:

And Mitts just scored to make it 2-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events