Rochester Americans: 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Tonight's Game - The Rochester Americans (1-0-0-0) go for their second straight win of the weekend tonight in a rematch with the Syracuse Crunch (0-1-0-0) in the back-end of a home-and-home series at the War Memorial Arena. Tonight’s 7:00 pm matchup will be carried LIVE on the Sports Leader 95.7 FM/950 AM ESPN Rochester.

Last Time Out - The Amerks opened their 62nd American Hockey League season with a 3-1 win over the defending Eastern Conference Champion Crunch last night at The Blue Cross Arena. Third-year forward Justin Bailey notched a pair of goals and four shots, both of which led all Amerks, while newcomer Steve Moses capped of the scoring for Rochester. Goaltender Linus Ullmark made 28 of 29 saves in the victory, coming within just 2:26 of his second career shutout.

Rest Of The Game Preview - http://www.amerks.com/preview/20171007

Game Notes - Amerks at Crunch - Saturday, October 7 - https://lsadmin.hockeytech.com/download.php?file_path=new-pdf/1017137-57.pdf&client_code=ahl

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

@amymoritz - Justin Bailey has a wicked shot. Now it's time to work on the details of his game.

He took the puck and snapped a wicked wrist shot, hard and accurate, at the Syracuse net. It was so hard, it bounced right back out in the blink of an eye forcing the officials to the replay to confirm that the puck, indeed, did cross the goal line. With that he let out a scream, full of passion for the moment and the game. That's Justin Bailey at his best.

"I think all of us want to have a good start from both a team standpoint and personally, but I mean I haven't scored in a long time," Bailey said. "It's been a few months and a long summer so I let that emotion out when I scored, for sure."

He ended up with two goals on Friday night as the Rochester Americans opened the season with a 3-1 win over the Syracuse Crunch in Blue Cross Arena. Bailey's stat sheet looked pretty good - two goals, four shots and a plus-2 rating.

But for head coach Chris Taylor, that's just the tip of what he expects from the third-year pro.

"I liked his game in some parts," Taylor said. "I still think he has details and little things that he has to improve on. But that's not going to change overnight. That's not going to change in one game. It's a process and he knows it. We talk about it on the bench. But when he wants to go and wants to play, he's really good. He can skate. He can beat defensemen one-on-one and he's got a great shot. But there's other aspects of his game that he's got to pick up."

Rest Of The Article - http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/06/focused-task-hand-justin-bailey-starts-season-pair-goals/ game.

Reactions: hizzoner

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Smith 1+1 and Criscuolo with the other, Amerks hanging on 2-1 in the third. Shots are 22-13 for Syracuse.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Good to see a pair of wins.

But also notice that they didn't get many shots in either game...hopefully that doesn't become a regular thing.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Good to see a pair of wins.

But also notice that they didn't get many shots in either game...hopefully that doesn't become a regular thing.
Same thing as last year. No offensive pressure. I hope this isn’t a trend. The offense is a major concern, despite getting two wins.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@AmerksHockey -
Tonight’s Goalie Matchup: #RCH - Wilcox - 0-0-0 - n/a GAA - n/a SV% vs
#SYR - Ingram - 0-0-0 - n/a GAA - n/a SV%
#AmerksGOAL C.J. Smith with a power-play marker with 9:33 left to play in the opening stanza.
@tfedun88 and Zach Redmond with the helpers on Smith's first professional goal.
End First Period - #Amerks 1 #Crunch 1 - Shots On Goal - 10-6 #RCH
#AmerksGOAL @_KC11_ from C.J Smith and @cNelly8 just 1:49 into the frame to regain the #ROC lead.
End Second Period - #Amerks 2 #Crunch 1 - Shots On Goal - 17-12 #SYR
End Third Period - After third period: #Amerks 2 #Crunch 2 - Shots On Goal - 26-16 #SYR
#AmerksGOAL Kevin Porter wins in OT just 39 seconds into the extra session!
End Game - #Amerks 3 #Crunch 2 - Amerks sweep the home/home - one win reg - one win ot.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The Rochester Americans (2-0-0-0) closed out their opening weekend of the 2017-2018 season with a thrilling 3-2 overtime victory against the Syracuse Crunch (0-1-1-0) at the War Memorial Arena Saturday night.

Rookie C.J. Smith notched his first-career professional multi-point effort with a goal and assist to pace the Amerks to the win while second-year forward Kyle Criscuolo and team-captain Kevin Porter, who appeared in his 100th career game as an Amerk, each bagged their first markers of the slate for Rochester. Goaltender Adam Wilcox, who made his Amerks debut, earned his first victory of the season as he stopped 24 of the 26 shots he faced on the night.

On the opening shift into the extra session, Porter tracked down a wide Syracuse shot that rolled the length of the ice and into the left corner. The wisely-veteran picked up the puck and used Justin Bailey as a decoy before firing the puck off the right post and into the net to give the Amerks a 3-2 victory.

The victory marks the first-time Rochester has opened the season with two consecutive wins since the 2006-07 campaign, when the Amerks began the slate a perfect 7-0-0-0.

Next Game - The Amerks return to action Friday October 13 as they host the Utica Comets at The Blue Cross Arena and will look for their third straight win to begin the season for the first time since the 2006-2007 campaign. The contest will have a 7:05 pm opening puck drop and will be carried LIVE on The Sports Leader 95.7 FM/950 AM ESPN Rochester.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.amerks.com/recap/20171007

Game-Sheet - Amerks 3 Crunch 2 (OT) - https://lscluster.hockeytech.com/ga...php?lang_id=1&client_code=ahl&game_id=1017137

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Same thing as last year. No offensive pressure. I hope this isn’t a trend. The offense is a major concern, despite getting two wins.
Let's just hope that if it ends up a problem, Botterill is quicker to respond to it than Murray was.

Deleted member 27798

The Amerks could start 20-0, and you'd still find something to nit pilots about. Keep up the good work. You never disappoint.
:thumbu::thumbu:
That’s why I’m not really overly concerned. I think they’ll address it if it continues. Rodrigues should help.
I'm surprised you're not killing JB already, because Seth Griffith is not down in Rochester. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
The Amerks could start 20-0, and you'd still find something to nit pi about. Keep up the good work. Yu never disappoint.
:thumbu::thumbu:

I'm surprised you're not killing JB already, because Seth Griffith is not down in Rochester. LOL
Original response, haven’t seen one of these in a while.

Also, the sheer amount of bitching and moaning about the Sabres over the most minute things on this board is astounding. But god forbid I bring up a legitimate and good point. I’ve heaped praise on Botterill and Sexton all summer along. So get lost with your issues with what I have to say.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
They should be adding ERod, Nylander, Malone, and one of Falk, Gorges, or Tennyson in the coming weeks. Those guys will help, and knock decent players down the lineup to more suitable roles and lesser players to the press box or Cincinnati. I also don't expect Fasching and Baptiste to be as quiet as they've been. For now, it's a pretty good sign that they are 2-0 against a solid club from an organization that typically ices good AHL teams.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
They should be adding ERod, Nylander, Malone, and one of Falk, Gorges, or Tennyson in the coming weeks. Those guys will help, and knock decent players down the lineup to more suitable roles and lesser players to the press box or Cincinnati. I also don't expect Fasching and Baptiste to be as quiet as they've been. For now, it's a pretty good sign that they are 2-0 against a solid club from an organization that typically ices good AHL teams.
As I said, my concern level is pretty low overall. But they do lack high end talent and finishers on offense, even with these guys. They won’t be a high scoring team. They’ll win with good defense and I’m fine with that. But if there is a concern, it’s definitely a lack of offensive depth/talent when the call ups come.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's good that they have figured out how to manufacture a couple of wins in these early games. These seem like the sort of games they would have found a way to lose in recent seasons.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Any word on Malone? Was looking forward to following him in Rochester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad