Rochester Americans: 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I had assumed that Johansson would be backing Ullmark up, but it looks like it'll be Wilcox instead. Is that to get Johansson starter time in the ECHL rather than riding the bench?
Partly that, partly to have a guy with some AHL experience backing up. I took it for a given Johansson would be heading down as soon as Wilcox signed.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The Cincinnati Cyclones, proud ECHL affiliate of the American Hockey League’s (AHL) Rochester Americans and the National Hockey League’s (NHL) Buffalo Sabres, have announced their 2017 Training Camp roster.

This year’s roster is made up of 29 players, including 14 forwards, 11 defensemen, and four goaltenders. The Cyclones training camp roster is as follows:

Forwards (14): Mike Barrett, Justin Danforth, Winston Day Chief, Rob De Fulviis, Dylan Denomme, Shane Heffernan*, Alex Kile, Brandon McNally, Dylan Nowakowski, Stephen Pietrobon*, Andrew Radjenovic, Jesse Schultz, Shane Walsh, Dominic Zombo.

Defensemen (11): Arvin Atwal, Anthony Florentino, Matt Geurts*, Jordan Henderson, Eric Knodel, Chris Leone, Brycen Martin, Cory Melkert*, Spencer Metcalfe*, Nick Neville*, Devante Stephens.

Goaltenders (4): Jonas Johansson, Davis Jones, Jason Kasdorf, Anthony Peters.

BOLD = Indicates Player on AHL or NHL Contract - *= Indicates Player on Tryout Contract.

The Cyclones will skate in the first of two preseason games against the Wheeling Nailers on Friday night at 7:00 pm.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
May or may not mean anything, but Criscuolo and Conor Allen wearing A's in the below pic. I imagine Paetsch, who's also pictured but without a letter, or Porter will captain the team.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Assuming Nylander and Malone are healthy, and setting aside perfect line construction, is this a fair (and vet-compliant) approximation of Rochester's opening night lineup?

Bailey-Porter-Moses
Nylander-Criscuolo-Baptiste
Smith-Malone-Fasching
Ross-Blackwell-Krause

Guhle-MacWilliam
Paetsch-Nelson
Allen-Goers

Ullmark
Wilcox

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Assuming Nylander and Malone are healthy, and setting aside perfect line construction, is this a fair (and vet-compliant) approximation of Rochester's opening night lineup?

Bailey-Porter-Moses
Smith-Malone-Fasching
Ross-Blackwell-Krause

Guhle-MacWilliam
Paetsch-Nelson
Allen-Goers

Ullmark
Wilcox

Gotta think Des is going to be in the lineup, no? Also missing their likely top-D in Fedun here.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Gotta think Des is going to be in the lineup, no? Also missing their likely top-D in Fedun here.

Ah, Fedun. Can't believe I forgot him. I was working off their initial camp roster, which was before he was reassigned, but I should've remembered him. And I agree that Des will be in the lineup, even if in a 4th line role - I wouldn't play him ahead of those other LW's.

Guhle-Fedun
Paetsch-MacWilliam
Allen-Nelson

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Ah, Fedun. Can't believe I forgot him. I was working off their initial camp roster, which was before he was reassigned, but I should've remembered him. And I agree that Des will be in the lineup, even if in a 4th line role - I wouldn't play him ahead of those other LW's.

Guhle-Fedun
Paetsch-MacWilliam
Allen-Nelson
I hope that the Amerks fans are getting an entertaining playoff team at last.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I hope that the Amerks fans are getting an entertaining playoff team at last.

They're a little thin down the middle - which could be remedied if Griffith makes it back to ROC, or ERod is assigned once healthy - but I expect Sexton and Botterill are aware of that, and won't let that issue fester too long if the results aren't there. Otherwise, that's a pretty strong AHL lineup. I particularly like that they're not counting on unready kids to man bottom-6 and 3rd pairing roles; they have actual vets who have demonstrated capability of handling such duties.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Bailey-Porter-Moses
Smith-Malone-Fasching
Ross-Blackwell-Krause

Guhle-MacWilliam
Paetsch-Nelson
Allen-Goers

Ullmark
Wilcox

Has there been any official word on that? Or maybe a better way to ask is ... can they been sent down if they are not?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Has there been any official word on that? Or maybe a better way to ask is ... can they been sent down if they are not?

I think dotcomm is the go-to on that question. Like you, my understanding has always been that you can't assign injured players.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresPR - The Sabres have acquired defenseman Zach Redmond from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for forward Nicolas Deslauriers.

@BuffaloSabres - Redmond will report to @AmerksHockey.

The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has acquired defenseman Zach Redmond from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for forward Nicolas Deslauriers. Redmond will report to the Rochester Americans (AHL).

Redmond (6'2", 212 lbs., 7/26/1988) split time between Montreal and the St. John's IceCaps (AHL) in his first season with the Canadiens organization in 2016-17, posting five assists in 16 NHL games and 18 points (4+14) in 26 games with the IceCaps.

Selected by the Atlanta Thrashers in the seventh round (184th overall) of the 2008 NHL Draft, Redmond has appeared in parts of five NHL seasons, totaling 38 points (9+29) and a plus-11 rating in 130 games with Montreal, the Colorado Avalanche and the Winnipeg Jets. He has recorded 100 points (29+71) in 190 career regular-season AHL games, adding 19 points (4+15) in 35 AHL postseason contests.

A native of Traverse City, Michigan, Redmond also represented the United States at the 2015 IIHF World Hockey Championship, helping the team earn a bronze medal.

Last edited:

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Doesn't the Des --> Redmond move REALLY stack the D?

Assuming the Sabres had the 7 D up most people expect (when healthy)...

Guhle, Fedun, Redmond, Falk, Tennysson, Paestch, Nelson, MacWilliam, Allen, Goers all solid/good/great AHL D, right?

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It's at least 7D who have had NHL time in some capacity in the past.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
The depth Rochester has compared to last two season is really something... I liked a lot what Murray did, but it's obvious that he could have handled the depth situation a lot better in Rochester as we have now seen.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The depth Rochester has compared to last two season is really something... I liked a lot what Murray did, but it's obvious that he could have handled the depth situation a lot better in Rochester as we have now seen.

The irony is that we thought that Murray would prioritize depth in Rochester.

Botts is delivering on the talk.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
The irony is that we thought that Murray would prioritize depth in Rochester.

Botts is delivering on the talk.

Indeed. Considering he had been the GM of Binghamton it made sense.

Not sure was his idea to give opportunities to all the prospect and since not bringing that much non-NHL potential depht.

Anyway, I like this approach a lot more.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
When injuries hit the Sabres d corps and you call up a Falk or a Fedun or now a Redmond, that is still a very good AHL D corps. If Guhle plays lights out for 35-40 games and earns a promotion ful time this D corps will not miss a beat.

Even with Griffith and Tennyson starting in Buffalo this team looks very competitive. If they are both sent down or ERod when healthy then this team looks like it could be very competitive.

Happy for the likes of Sabresfan27 and other fans of the team that have suffered for the past few years. Looks like it will be a fun year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Rochester's defense should be worlds better than last year's, even when the Sabres have to recall guys. With everyone healthy (assuming Gorges is the #7 in that scenario), Rochester gets: Guhle, Falk, Fedun, Tennyson, Redmond, Paetsch, Nelson, etc. Organizational depth there is looking pretty great even if our NHL starters aren't the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->