Rochester Americans: 2016-2017 Season - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
If Griffith does make the Sabres, which appears to be a realistic scenario, I do think it creates a big hole offensively. The Amerks have a loaded defense and some good offensive pieces, but it would hurt. With Sexton and Botterill, I think they may try to replace that lost offense. Spencer Abbott has some nice AHL numbers and is still a free agent. I would think they'd probably first see what they have in the first month, and then re-evaluate. But he'll sign someone soon enough.

I would also suggest Gionta, but I don't know his mindset. I know he wants to keep playing, but doesn't want to move his family. He could play for the Amerks and give himself a great chance at playing in the Olympics.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Rochester Americans General Manager Randy Sexton announced today that the team will open its 2017 Training Camp on Monday, September 25 at The Blue Cross Arena with the team led by new Amerks head coach Chris Taylor taking the ice starting at 12:30 pm ET. Practice sessions for the remainder of the week will begin at 10:30 am ET at the Blue Cross Arena with the exception of Friday, September 29 and Saturday, September 30 as the team will hold morning skates beginning at 10:00 am ET. The week-long camp is both free and open to the public.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Any thoughts as to why?

The things that come to mind would be added time at BCA is a part of the tug of war about running BCA and a sign that the Sabres/Amerks have even more pull than in the past.

BGRI isn't busy during the weekday daytime, so I doubt the issue is on BGRI's end.

Or, BGRI tried to jack up the cost for the Amerks and they said see ya!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Griffith does make the Sabres, which appears to be a realistic scenario, I do think it creates a big hole offensively. The Amerks have a loaded defense and some good offensive pieces, but it would hurt. With Sexton and Botterill, I think they may try to replace that lost offense. Spencer Abbott has some nice AHL numbers and is still a free agent. I would think they'd probably first see what they have in the first month, and then re-evaluate. But he'll sign someone soon enough.

I would also suggest Gionta, but I don't know his mindset. I know he wants to keep playing, but doesn't want to move his family. He could play for the Amerks and give himself a great chance at playing in the Olympics.

I would think that they probably have that in mind. Perhaps that explains the Ross signing? Perhaps we are all to conditioned from two decades of Darcy and Tim To give the new guys the benefit of the doubt. I would expect that they'll figure out a way to get some offense and the Amerks lineup. Abbott seems like a possible choice, that's for sure.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

BUFFALO, N.Y. (September 23, 2017) The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has assigned forwards Eric Cornel, Vaclav Karabacek, Stevie Moses and Kevin Porter, defensemen Brycen Martin, Casey Nelson and Devante Stephens, and goaltenders Jason Kasdorf, Jonas Johansson and Adam Wilcox, to the Rochester Americans (AHL).

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
What's the vet status/limit looking like? Des, and possibly Moulson, look like potential waivers. Is there room? I'm guessing Griffith will stay up until Rodrigues is back at least.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
What's the vet status/limit looking like? Des, and possibly Moulson, look like potential waivers. Is there room? I'm guessing Griffith will stay up until Rodrigues is back at least.
Moulson isn’t getting waived. Deslauriers might. If Griffith and Deslauriers both get waived, they’ll be over the limit. I don’t expect them to waive both. Hopefully just Griffith.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Any thoughts as to why?

It's interesting that they are practicing at BCA and not BGRI.

My intel is that they'll still hold practices at BGRIP once the season begins. The Amerks still have a functional locker room between Rink 1 and 2/3 and there hasn't been any signs of a move out. Ice in Rochester is at a premium right now and adult leagues are being pushed late in to the night. It's not unusual to have games starting 10:30PM or later this year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My intel is that they'll still hold practices at BGRIP once the season begins. The Amerks still have a functional locker room between Rink 1 and 2/3 and there hasn't been any signs of a move out. Ice in Rochester is at a premium right now and adult leagues are being pushed late in to the night. It's not unusual to have games starting 10:30PM or later this year.

Ice is not at a premium at BGRI during the daytime when school is in session.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad