Rochester Americans: 2016-17 Season - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Meh, I saw this curb-stomping weekend coming a mile away. COR, Cornel, Estephan, and Guhle were Rochester's late reinforcements in a year where there's already like a 30- or 40-point difference between them, Albany, and Toronto. Next, factor in that the Devils got reinforcements like Blandisi, Boucher, Severson, Zacha, etc. for Friday night, while the Marlies get Soshnikov, Kapanen, Nylander, Lindberg, Brennan, Carrick, Sparks, Gauthier, etc. for these next two weekend games, and idk why I should expect two Eastern Conference contenders to remotely struggle with a non-playoff Amerks team. :dunno:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Guhle Scores First Goal In Amerks Loss To Marlies - Saturday, April 16 - Amerks.com

Newcomer Brendan Guhle became the third different player to score his first professional goal this week for the Rochester Americans, but it wasn’t enough as the Amerks dropped the first of two meetings against the league-leading Toronto Marlies by a 3-1 score Saturday at Ricoh Coliseum. Rochester falls to 34-37-3-1 heading into Sunday’s regular season finale against the Marlies.

Guhle’s first pro goal was assisted by Justin Bailey and team captain Cal O’Reilly, who recorded the 400th point of his AHL career, while Nathan Lieuwen made 21 saves in the loss.
Toronto scored once in each period on goals from Matt Frattin, T.J. Brennan and Rinat Valiev while Connor Brown, last year’s top scoring rookie, contributed two assists for the Marlies. Antoine Bibeau stopped all but one of the 34 shots he faced for Toronto, earning his eighth win over his last nine starts while improving to 28-9-1 overall.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.amerks.com/recap/20160416

Game-Sheet - Marlies 3 Amerks 1 - TheAHL.com - http://theahl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1015803

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Amerks Lose Season Finale To Marlies 4-2 - Sunday, April 17 - Amerks.com

Despite recording 47 shots on goal, the Rochester Americans fell to the Toronto Marlies by a 4-2 score at Ricoh Coliseum on Sunday afternoon to close out the 2015-2016 season.
The Amerks finish the year with a record of 34-38-3-1.
Cole Schneider scored a power-play goal in the game for his 21st of the season and finishes as Rochester’s leading scorer with 56 points (21+35).
He had 14 points (4+10) in 19 games with the Amerks following a late-season trade with Ottawa.
Jean Dupuy also scored a goal while Evan Rodrigues tallied two assists. Chad Ruhwedel and Nick Baptiste each recorded an assist.
Goaltender Linus Ullmark stopped 38 of 41 shots in the game. Justin Bailey was one of three Amerks (Schneider, Brady Austin-the other two) to record a game-high six shots.
Marlies goalie Garret Sparks turned in a career-high 45-save performance to earn the win.
Eric Faille scored twice and Jordan Hickmott and Tony Cameranesi rounded out the scoring for Toronto.

Rest Of Game Recap - http://amerks.com/recap/20160417

Game-Sheet - Marlies 4 Amerks 2 - TheAHL.com - http://theahl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1015810

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Is Cunneyworth safe? I know it's just been one year, and he's a Rochester legend, and he didn't stock the team, but they seemed to really fade at the end. Some guys seemed to develop like Bailey, but still. I'm sure they give him another year and better players next year but there needs to be much better results.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is Cunneyworth safe? I know it's just been one year, and he's a Rochester legend, and he didn't stock the team, but they seemed to really fade at the end. Some guys seemed to develop like Bailey, but still. I'm sure they give him another year and better players next year but there needs to be much better results.

I've never been a fan of Cunneyworth.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Speaking of which....

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/04/18/more-changes-in-ottawa-as-luke-richardson-departs/

The Senators continued to shake things up on Monday, announcing that veteran AHL Binghamton bench boss Luke Richardson would be leaving the organization “to pursue a new opportunity.â€

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Cunneyworth - We wanted to be a fast team with prolific scorers but we forgot about the defending part of it.
Cunneyworth - On a positive note, we had some call-ups that helped the Sabres cause.

@BuffNewsVogl - Cunneyworth - "I don’t know if we enjoyed the physical play as much as we should have. I think it was uncomfortable for some guys."

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Cal O'Reilly - "We definitely had a team that could have made the playoffs and could have done some damage.
We just didn't come together as a team and play together as a team most nights.
And when you don't do that, you're going to win some games and go on losing streaks and that's basically why we're not in the post-season."

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Ottawa does not need a new coach in training. 7 coaching changes in ten years, only one of which had previous head coaching experience in the previous ten or so years, and the last two were flat out rookie coaches.

They need to ante up and get an experienced coach. Unfortunately Richardosn does not fit the bill. Word it is was his for the taking last year, he turned it down for personal reasons and it went to Cameron. At this point they need to go in a different direction.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So lets start looking at next year's likely roster:

Signed -
Cal O'Reilly, C
Justin Bailey, RW
Hudson Fasching, RW
Nic Baptiste, RW
Evan Rodriguez, RW/LW
Eric Cornel, RW/C
William Carrier, LW
Jean Dupuy, C/LW
Justin Kea, C

Brady Austin, LD

Linus Ullmark, G
Jason Kasdorf, G

RFA's who might get qualifiers would include:
Dan Catenacci, LW/C

Unsigned but potential contracts:
Brycen Martin, LD

The blueline has nothing set for next season, although Casey Nelson might be down depending on what happens in Buffalo. The vets were not all that good and none of them have contracts past this season, making a bunch of them Group VI UFA's. Similarly, team MVP Tim Schaller is also Group VI and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a few sniffs from other teams now that he's shown some ability at the AHL level. Opportunity for scoring line minutes on RW seem like they will be at a premium. It seems like a great time to pull the proverbial plug on most of the Group VI guys, pick a smaller number of quality vets, and ice a different looking group next season.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Didn't know where to put this in our forum, but the Springfield Falcons have been bought by the Cyotees and will move to Tuscon. This is really sad for us who love and appreciate history. Problem is Springfield is just dead at this point, maybe they get a team in the E but I can't see how they succeed.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
So lets start looking at next year's likely roster:

Signed -
Cal O'Reilly, C
Justin Bailey, RW
Hudson Fasching, RW
Nic Baptiste, RW
Evan Rodriguez, RW/LW
Eric Cornel, RW/C
William Carrier, LW
Jean Dupuy, C/LW
Justin Kea, C

Brady Austin, LD

Linus Ullmark, G
Jason Kasdorf, G

RFA's who might get qualifiers would include:
Dan Catenacci, LW/C

Unsigned but potential contracts:
Brycen Martin, LD

The blueline has nothing set for next season, although Casey Nelson might be down depending on what happens in Buffalo. The vets were not all that good and none of them have contracts past this season, making a bunch of them Group VI UFA's. Similarly, team MVP Tim Schaller is also Group VI and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a few sniffs from other teams now that he's shown some ability at the AHL level. Opportunity for scoring line minutes on RW seem like they will be at a premium. It seems like a great time to pull the proverbial plug on most of the Group VI guys, pick a smaller number of quality vets, and ice a different looking group next season.

What about Karabacek????? He, like Martin is due to be signed. I see Catenacci getting resigned.

Nelson likely starts in Rochester

This team will need to bring in a center.

Other potential prospect signings---Johansson (G) Florention (D)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What about Karabacek????? He, like Martin is due to be signed. I see Catenacci getting resigned.

Nelson likely starts in Rochester

This team will need to bring in a center.

Other potential prospect signings---Johansson (G) Florention (D)

Florentino looks like he's going back for one more year with the Friars. Johansson doesn't need to be signed as they already have their two (Ullmark, Kasdorf) netminders in place.

As for Karabacek... yes. If they decide to sign him, he would be another winger in the mix.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Florentino looks like he's going back for one more year with the Friars. Johansson doesn't need to be signed as they already have their two (Ullmark, Kasdorf) netminders in place.

As for Karabacek... yes. If they decide to sign him, he would be another winger in the mix.

In terms of full contracts I'm thinking

23 on the sabres
Then in Rochester/Elmira

13 forwards
6 Dmen
3 goalies

Total of 45 contracts.

On top of that there are 2-3 sliding contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events