Rochester Americans: 2016-17 Season - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Haven't been able to see the games but Baker tweeted that Estephan has looked very good. Scored his first pro goal a few minutes ago.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Game Recap - Wilson/Estephan First Goals/Makarov Shutout Leads Amerks To 2-0 Win Over Monsters - Sunday, April 10 - Amerks.com

A pair of second-period goals from two of the newest additions and a 30-save shutout from goaltender Andrey Makarov was all that was needed for the Rochester Americans to claim a 2-0 victory over the Lake Erie Monsters Sunday at Quicken Loans Arena.

The Amerks and Monsters, who took last night’s get-together in Rochester, earn a split of the weekend set, as well as the four-game season series. The win snaps a three-game skid for the Amerks and improves them to 34-35-3-1 on the season heading into their final three games of the year.

It was truly a night of firsts for the Amerks with Stu Wilson and Giorgio Estephan, both of whom joined the team earlier this week on Amateur Tryouts, scoring their first professional goals while Makarov stopped all 30 shots he faced to pick up his first shutout of the year. The goals from Wilson and Estephan came within exactly 5:30 of one another against a solid Lake Erie netminder in Joonas Korpisalo, who rejoined the Monsters this morning after playing in 31 games for the parent Columbus Blue Jackets this season.

Eric Cornel, Alex Guptill, Matt Donovan and Cole Schneider, back from a two-game stint with the Buffalo Sabres, also recorded assists in the win for Rochester, which closed out the weekend with points in two straight. Makarov has now won two of his last three starts, which includes a season-high 42 saves at Syracuse on Apr. 2, and owns a 1.67 goals-against average with a .955 save percentage over that span.

Newcomer Zach Werenski, the overtime hero for the Monsters in last night’s win in Rochester, finished with a team-high five shots for Lake Erie while Korpisalo made 13 saves while holding the Amerks to their second-fewest shot total all season - 15 shots.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.amerks.com/recap/20160410

Game-Sheet - Amerks 2 Monsters 0 - TheAHL.com - http://theahl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1015763

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@AmerksHockey -
Stu Wilson's first pro goal gives the #Amerks a 1-0 lead!
Wilson grabbed a loose puck at center ice, drove the Lake Erie zone, cut towards the slot and picked the upper right corner over Koprisalo.
Eric Cornel and Alex Guptill garner the assists on the goal from Stu Wilson.

@kevinoDandC -
Pittsford's Stu Wilson has scored his 1st pro goal, giving the #Amerks a 1-0 lead at Lake Erie.
The goal by Stu Wilson will be a nice little present for his grandfather, who will be undergoing open heart surgery soon.
The goal was also scored in Quicken Loans Arena. His sister, Stephanie, works in event services for Cavs/QLA.

@SabresProspects -
Stu Wilson scores his first professional goal with a short side shot past Korpisalo. Amerks lead Monsters 1-0.
Giorgio Estephan with the back door tap-in for his first professional goal. Amerks lead Monsters 2-0.
Had the feeling Estephan was going to get one sooner or later. He's been playing some very good hockey on ATO. Creative, responsible.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
I know both players are very likely to spend another year in juniors, but would Estephan and Guhle theoretically be AHL-eligible next season? As far as I see Estephan would and Guhle wouldn't, is that correct?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know both players are very likely to spend another year in juniors, but would Estephan and Guhle theoretically be AHL-eligible next season? As far as I see Estephan would and Guhle wouldn't, is that correct?

Neither will be 20 by December 31st, so neither will be eligible to start the season in Rochester. It's back to the WHL or Buffalo for either until their seasons' end.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Great to see Estephan putting an exclamation point on a terrific season. I haven't been able to see him live in ROC. Anyone have a scouting report from the past couple games?

SamsonReinFart

Mar 15, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I know that the list of players to have terrific CHL careers and never take the next step is extremely long, but I just have a weird feeling about Estephan. You just watch him and he seems to "get it". Still a long way to go, I just think he's going to be good.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Game Preview - Amerks Host Devils In Home Finale Tonight - Friday, April 15 - Amerks.com

Tonight’s Game - The Rochester Americans take the ice for their final home game of the 2015-2016 regular season tonight as they host the North Division rival Albany Devils on Fan Appreciation Night at The Blue Cross Arena. The 7:05 pm ET contest will be the sixth and final meeting between the two teams this season, as well as the first of three straight on the weekend for the Amerks and will be carried LIVE on 107.3 FM The Bull.

Rest Of The Game Preview - http://www.amerks.com/preview/20160415

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Rochester Americans Team Award Winners - 2015-2016 Season.

Tim Schaller - Most Valuable Player - Most Improved Player - Most Popular Player.
Justin Bailey - Rookie Of The Year - Fairland/O'Neil Sportsmanship Award.
Patrick Kaleta - AHL Amerks Man Of The Year - McCulloch Trophy For Humanitarian Service.
Brady Austin - Rob Zabelny Unsung Hero Award.
Dan Catenacci - Most Game Winning Goals Award.
Cole Schneider - Scoring Champion.
Joe Capellupo - 7th Man Award - Fan Of The Year.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Schaller gets team MVP. He needs to be back next year in some capacity.

Give him a 1 way deal. Compete for the #13/14 F position, but guaranteed an NHL salary if they have to send him down to Rochester. For a guy like him, that should be very appealing--and for a guy like Pegula, it shouldn't be an issue.

Or try the old 2 year deal, 2-way first year and 1-way 2nd year type thing we've seen in past years.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Amerks Get Shutout In Home Finale - Friday, April 15 - Amerks.com

After jumping out to a 1-0 lead on a first-period goal from Jim O’Brien, the Albany Devils added four more in the third on their way to a 5-0 victory over the Rochester Americans Friday in the regular season home finale at The Blue Cross Arena.

Ryan Kujawinski (1+1) and Vojtech Mozik (0+2) led the Devils with two points each while Ben Thomson, Joseph Blandisi and Pavel Zacha rounded out the scoring for the Albany.
Yann Danis stopped all 27 shots he faced to pick up his 28th win of the season while earning his eighth shutout of the year.

Tim Schaller, named this year's Team MVP prior to the game - returned to the lineup after the missing the last 15 games due to injury - finished with a team-high three shots.
Linus Ullmark made 38 saves in the losing effort.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.amerks.com/recap/20160415

Game-Sheet - Devils 5 Amerks 0 - TheAHL.com - http://theahl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1015786

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm beyond happy I'll never have to watch this sorry group ever again. No progress all season and they mailed it in at the end. Can't point fingers because the players and coaching staff all look terrible here.

Need wholesale changes for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad