Player Discussion Robin Lehner – Part 1

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
The Sabres are 1-6 in the shootout. 5 of those games, they only scored 1 goal in regulation. The shooters are 3 for 17. IT IS NOT GOALTENDING. He could be at 50% save percentage and they could still be 1-6. They need to score in regulation.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It has to be be done 100% mental at this point. I'm frustrated too but until he makes a couple of saves it is going to haunt him.

On the other side, it's tough to blame a guy for losing a game when he only let in one goal in 65 minutes.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
The Sabres are 1-6 in the shootout. 5 of those games, they only scored 1 goal in regulation. The shooters are 3 for 17. IT IS NOT GOALTENDING. He could be at 50% save percentage and they could still be 1-6. They need to score in regulation.

Still doesn't make any less alarming.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Are Lehner's SO problems fixable with better goaltending coaching?

If they are, then get the right coach in here to work with him. It doesn't mean Lehner can't be the long term answer.

If the issues aren't fixable, that's when it becomes a problem.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Lehner is an average to below average starter who is awful in shootouts.

Time to look at some upgrade options this summer.

Agreed. He is horrifyingly bad on breakaways, has terrible rebound control, his 5-hole is flawed, and his temper gets the best of him a lot. His size and reflexes are what makes him a passable goalie, but I wouldn't trust him in the playoffs.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Agreed. He is horrifyingly bad on breakaways, has terrible rebound control, his 5-hole is flawed, and his temper gets the best of him a lot. His size and reflexes are what makes him a passable goalie, but I wouldn't trust him in the playoffs.

Other than that he's great.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think with a better team in front of him, he would be above average. Like most goalies. :dunno:

On the list of NEEDS for the team .... a better goalie isn't in the top five.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think Lehner will be leaky until the season ends. This is the most he's played at the NHL level in one season. He's had other seasons where's had slightly fewer minutes, but that was spread over an entire season - he's where he is now with 20% of the season remaining. Last night, he looked like Miller did when Miller was fatigued from being run into the ground by Ruff and the lack of a decent backup in some seasons.

I hope this season adjusts Lehner to the workload he'll be expected to carry as a NHL starter, and he can adapt to the workload in future seasons.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I wish we had Colin White or Samsonov right now instead of this schlub. It's going to be funny when Lehner wants 4+ mil per this summer. Thanks Murray for helping out uncle Bryan by overpaying for Lehner and taking a cap dump :clap:

Murray is just a winner folks, so is Robin Lehner. They won a calder cup 6 years ago :thumbu:

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
I think goaltending is fine. Lehner is serviceable. It all depends on his contract. We can't be spending top dollar at that position and expect to compete.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Your starter needs to be able to make a save in the shootout. He needs to see that sports psychologist Miller saw and get that addressed. It's not a skill issue.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
New starting goalie is the biggest need this offseason. Lehner isn't starting caliber. It was ridiculous to gift the starting job to him.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Your starter needs to be able to make a save in the shootout. He needs to see that sports psychologist Miller saw and get that addressed. It's not a skill issue.

I would say at this point he needs the mental help. Nothing unusual about that, but this is as classic of a mental block as you could script.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I did not like the deal for Lehner but every GM in history has more than one trade they would like back. If Lehner wants more than a couple million and more than 2 years I will chip in for his bus ticket back to Ottawa. Making a mistake is not always the worst thing--not recognizing it, not fixing it, making the same mistake--those are the really bad things.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I think with a better team in front of him, he would be above average. Like most goalies. :dunno:

On the list of NEEDS for the team .... a better goalie isn't in the top five.

Agreed put him in front of LA or Chicago's blue line people would be calling him elite. Instead he faces 30+ shots night after night.

Edit: I just looked it up LA gives up 26 shots per game, buffalo 34. That's 8 shots per game. Even for a good goalie that's between .5 and 1 goal against depending on the game

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I did not like the deal for Lehner but every GM in history has more than one trade they would like back. If Lehner wants more than a couple million and more than 2 years I will chip in for his bus ticket back to Ottawa. Making a mistake is not always the worst thing--not recognizing it, not fixing it, making the same mistake--those are the really bad things.

This all day. Mistakes happen, he made the trade that he thought was best, Lehner has been serviceable to good in many games, others he looks like an AHLer. At this point the shootout thing is mental, and that goal in Tampa Bay might be the one that saves him and makes him double down so as not to be embarrassed again, or it could totally have him in shambles. Either way the trades done, no use rehashing people's objections to it, but Murray has to figure out the problem and either fix it or remove it, it doesn't matter how much he paid. If he wants to hold out hope just because Lehner cost us a first, that's far more scary then the original overpayment.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think Lehner will be leaky until the season ends. This is the most he's played at the NHL level in one season. He's had other seasons where's had slightly fewer minutes, but that was spread over an entire season - he's where he is now with 20% of the season remaining. Last night, he looked like Miller did when Miller was fatigued from being run into the ground by Ruff and the lack of a decent backup in some seasons.

I hope this season adjusts Lehner to the workload he'll be expected to carry as a NHL starter, and he can adapt to the workload in future seasons.

C'mon. This is his 7th pro season. This isn't some kid we just called up. He's either ready to be a 60 game a year starter or he isn't.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
C'mon. This is his 7th pro season. This isn't some kid we just called up. He's either ready to be a 60 game a year starter or he isn't.

He isn't, and he never was. He's definitely not the Sabres starter because he ever earned it. Watching the Sabres throw away the season on Lehner reminds me of watching the Bills throw away the season on Collins, Losman, Edwards, Holcomb, Orton, Manuel, and whoever else they misguidedly anointed starter over the years.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Can't believe we traded a first rounder in one of the best drafts in the last two decades for Lehner. Ottawa is laughing that they swindled Buffalo out of a first and a guaranteed top end prospect for a goalie who wasn't even in their plans anymore. Edmonton offered 16 for Lehner and 18 and laughed when Edmonton asked for #16 straight up. They moved on to Talbot for cheaper and are doing great. Thank you Murray for this dime a dozen goalie. You think any team would give up a 2017 1st for Lehner today? Hell no they wouldn't and the 2017 draft is far far worse then 2015.

Unbelievable that we couldn't draft Samsonov and traded for a Nilsson type goalie two summers ago until Samsonov is ready. Lehner is turning this summer. He has no more "potential". Mediocre goalie who can play slightly above average for stretches. Top 20 goalie at best, more like 20-30 range.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Can't believe we traded a first rounder in one of the best drafts in the last two decades for Lehner. Ottawa is laughing that they swindled Buffalo out of a first and a guaranteed top end prospect for a goalie who wasn't even in their plans anymore. Edmonton offered 16 for Lehner and 18 and laughed when Edmonton asked for #16 straight up. They moved on to Talbot for cheaper and are doing great. Thank you Murray for this dime a dozen goalie. You think any team would give up a 2017 1st for Lehner today? Hell no they wouldn't and the 2017 draft is far far worse then 2015.

Unbelievable that we couldn't draft Samsonov and traded for a Nilsson type goalie two summers ago until Samsonov is ready. Lehner is turning this summer. He has no more "potential". Mediocre goalie who can play slightly above average for stretches. Top 20 goalie at best, more like 20-30 range. Sad

Fixed it

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
Put me in the camp of this team gives up the most shots in the league per average and yes, that doesn't excuse Lehner from the goals he gives up, but aside from Hasek and a few other elite goalies, most goalies would have subpar stats on this team.

Your D needs an extensive upgrade.

Your coaching as well.

Then the PK.

Fix these before you head into the goaltending department. Getting a better one will not cover up the many defensive breakdowns and blemishes this team gives up on a nightly basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad