Player Discussion Robin Lehner – Part 1

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres -

Correction: According to Rip Simonick, this is a mask from Paul Harrison who played for the #Sabres in 1981-82.

Robin Lehner says he hopes to wear the Harrison mask. “At least for warmups.” He says he’s borrowing it for a bit.

Desjardins did briefly wear a Paul Harrison styled mask, but it was painted. Most of his Sabres tenure he wore a white mask. After his eye injury he went with the cage.

645fe1bb8ce0e14cfc846030f3a800d0.jpg

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Desjardins did briefly wear a Paul Harrison styled mask, but it was painted. Most of his Sabres tenure he wore a white mask. After his eye injury he went with the cage.

View attachment 101679
christ, it's been so long... I think his his white mask was made by Ernie Higgins; same guy that did Ed Giacomin's and so many others in that style. Paul Harrison did some in that same style as well.
It's the same style mask I wore playing in the 70s and into the 80s.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Is a straight up goalie mask even allowed to be worn if a crazy goalie wanted to?
Good question. I wonder if there’s rules in the equipment area that specify a cage has to be worn... with today’s masks, I don’t recall seeing any goalies get really hurt like they did back in the day. Those fiberglass masks were molded to your face, and they fit so close that taking a shot in one often caused impact cuts that split the skin, stitches, etc.
There’s vendors out there that sell reproductions of these old masks. Back when goalies didn’t all look like clones. ;)

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Also players had sticks without a curve up until the mid 60s and never shot the puck 100 mph.

The first player with a curve stick Bathgate hit Plante in the face.(1959)

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
christ, it's been so long... I think his his white mask was made by Ernie Higgins; same guy that did Ed Giacomin's and so many others in that style. Paul Harrison did some in that same style as well.
It's the same style mask I wore playing in the 70s and into the 80s.

Very good oldgoalie, I did not know that.

I believe Rocky Farr used the same mask during his brief stints in Buffalo. I remember Norman getting injured near the eye with that mask too...

000105672.jpg

Remember this briefly worn Dave Dryden mask?

dryden.jpg

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Very good oldgoalie, I did not know that.

I believe Rocky Farr used the same mask during his brief stints in Buffalo. I remember Norman getting injured near the eye with that mask too...

View attachment 101973

Remember this briefly worn Dave Dryden mask?

View attachment 101975
I loved watching Rocky Farr play. Guy could do a full split and you couldn't see daylight under him, he got that flat to the ice. My mask was exactly like that.
That mask Dave is wearing is his own. He was very much into making his own masks. Somewhere in the sands of time I lost both the instructions I got from him when I was in high school for making your own masks, and my signed copy of "Playing the Shot at Both Ends"; the book his dad wrote on Dave and Ken. Dave was a super nice guy.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm hoping he plays better down these last few weeks so that some team with perennially bad goaltending judgement is willing to part with something this summer for him. Not hopeful.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad