Confirmed with Link: Robertson signed to ELC

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
dubas overpays again

While you're being sarcastic, there is some truth in that point.

Robertson as a late 2nd rounder got full rookie max $925k allowable the same as Auston Matthews on his ELC, whereas Marner & Nylander only got $894k without full available bonuses both as top 10 overall picks.

So perhaps Robertson used Auston Matthews as his comparable, or Darren Ferris is also his agent. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lots of Leafs fans sleeping on this kid.

He + Sandin have a chance at becoming some of the best Leafs prospects taken beyond the first round in years.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I don't understand the urgency to sign prospects. We have two years why not give a draft +1 season then sign them?

Because in the case of younger ones like Robertson and SDA their ELC can slide for more years than the older ones, and therefore, should they blossom, they'll be cheaper for longer. And they don't count against the 50 man limit, so why not?

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Nice deal. Hopefully he develops on a nice, linear path the next 2 years. Would like to see him on the Leafs roster 3 years from now. Great pick, really looks like a steal as of now.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Unfortunate, as I would love to accelerate the process with
1 OHL
1 AHL
2021-22 NHL.

Have always hated that OHL- NHL agreement.

They're working on it, but it was an agreement the NHL never should have signed on for without thinking it through a little more. I agree it's a really important thing for junior teams to have star players (or at least stars in the making) but not at the cost of hurting their development.

I think a compromise is certain players will get an exemption ... but those will be the players the CHL wants most to stick around for another year. Hopefully they'll find a solution soon.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm thinking Robertson has a real shot at a top six role in the years to come.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Unfortunate, as I would love to accelerate the process with
1 OHL
1 AHL
2021-22 NHL.

Have always hated that OHL- NHL agreement.
I like it. To be honest I'd rather have the draft pushed back to 19 years old. Helps the stability of junior teams and allows guys to be more physically ready for the NHL game. Would also give scouts an extra year to evaluate and you would have fewer busts high in the draft.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I’m happy we signed this kid up. I hope he has a big year of development in junior this year.

He just has that spark. I believe when he makes it as a rookie he will be a real breath of fresh air for the team.

Reactions: Jeypic

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Robertson held out for more bonuses. It looked like he was going to go the distance but dubas folded, again!
:sarcasm:
Dubas caved. Stop defending Dubas and join the senseless bashing, friend.

Can't believe Dubas gave him 3 years! He hasn't even played 3 years in the OHL!!! Shanahan should seriously look at hiring every single player agent to do the negotiating for Dubas, I bet he doesn't even know what an NHL contract is! :sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't understand the urgency to sign prospects. We have two years why not give a draft +1 season then sign them?

The CBA is intentionally written so that you have 2 years to evaluate a player after draft year, because there is still a lot of uncertainty with how they develop post draft when most are taken at 18/19 and years old and you want them highly motivated to try and earn that contract. With the limitation of 50 contracts you want teams to be more certain about a player who they hand these 3 year guaranteed ELC contracts out to.

The CBA also created the slide rule, as a get out of jail free card for GMs to allow that player drafted when returned to junior and not count until he turns pro, which was intended originally for high draft picks to sign early and attempt to make the NHL out of their draft years and if now after a 10 game trial period, could be returned to junior teams for more seasoning and NHL teams getting that contract back among their max allowable.

So you're correct there is no urgency here.

However Robertson has impressed the Leafs management enough this summer to this point that they feel he is worthy of a his entry level $925k/year rookie max contract, so maybe they believe he is making the NHL sooner rather than later based on their assessment of his current level of play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad