Confirmed with Link: Robertson signed to ELC

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Dubas got two studs with picks #29 (Sandin) and (Robertson) #53

With the way our team is structured, drafting is going to be extremely important for sustained success.

Awesome to see the drafting is off to a great start.

Reactions: Nylander88

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Your right, but I prefer Dubas' approach over Hunter's. Hunter picked many tall guys and all of them didn't work out.
Hunter deserves credit for hitting on Marner and potentially Lilly, but aside from Dermott and maybe Bracco, outside the 1st round he didn't do well. Woll and Scott are pretty solid and Lindgren has potential too though.
Thats fair but you just listed 5-6 guys who Could very well turn into NHLers for us. Getting 2 nhl players out of a draft is what people would consider good.

For Dubas he has Sandin, Kral as guys that look good

2019 has Robertson and maybe one or two others.

Dubas is our GM so it makes sense to support him. However we should not discredit the hard work put in by Hunter, Lou etc to help rebuild our organization development stream. Not saying your a blatant Hunter hater but some people on these boards seem to forget about how this team went from Salute Gate leafs to where we are now. Dubas, Babcock, Shanny, Hunter, Lou all played big roles. Here's hoping the guys left can close it put and make the original dream come true.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thats fair but you just listed 5-6 guys who Could very well turn into NHLers for us. Getting 2 nhl players out of a draft is what people would consider good.

Dubas is our GM so it makes sense to support him. However we should not discredit the hard work put in by Hunter, Lou etc to help rebuild our organization development stream. Not saying your a blatant Hunter hater but some people on these boards seem to forget about how this team went from Salute Gate leafs to where we are now. Dubas, Babcock, Shanny, Hunter, Lou all played big roles. Here's hoping the guys left can close it put and make the original dream come true.
If Hunter hit on 3 of his 5 2nd rounders, that would be far above average. Dermott is a clear hit, Grundstrom looks to be one, and Bracco could be one. Korshkov and Rasanen are lottery tickets at this point, I don't expect either to make it. But, 2nd rounders become a player of value maybe 20% to 30% of the time. Matthews was a fairly easy choice. Although, I've heard there was at least one person in the org in a decently high position who wanted Laine, and before everyone starts accusing me of hinting its Dubas as some sort of agenda, it wasn't him. I have no idea who Dubas wanted or preferred but I'll just assume it was Matthews. Marner was not a difficult choice, but Hanifin was ranked higher by Bob's 10 scouts, and to the best of my knowledge, he was 3rd on our board which reflects well on the staff, even if he isn't the clear 3rd best player in the draft (you could spend weeks debating Marner, Aho, Rantanen, and even Barzal). Liljegren is the first real test in the 1st round. If Liljegren can be a reliable top 4 D, that would beat the average of picks in the 16-20 range.

Reactions: hamzarocks

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Thats fair, but again I was only talking about the drafting.
If we are talking about changing the organization, then yes all 4 played a factor.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Grundstrom could have been a young, skilled Komarov for us :(

Which a very tough decision would have to be made about next year if we still had him since he's a RF next year. But in the meantime the leafs can pick up the likes of Moore, Agostino and Mikheyev so its not as though similar players can't be had who can fill similar roles available all the time.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Hunter hit on 3 of his 5 2nd rounders, that would be far above average. Dermott is a clear hit, Grundstrom looks to be one, and Bracco could be one. Korshkov and Rasanen are lottery tickets at this point, I don't expect either to make it. But, 2nd rounders become a player of value maybe 20% to 30% of the time. Matthews was a fairly easy choice. Although, I've heard there was at least one person in the org in a decently high position who wanted Laine, and before everyone starts accusing me of hinting its Dubas as some sort of agenda, it wasn't him. I have no idea who Dubas wanted or preferred but I'll just assume it was Matthews. Marner was not a difficult choice, but Hanifin was ranked higher by Bob's 10 scouts, and to the best of my knowledge, he was 3rd on our board which reflects well on the staff, even if he isn't the clear 3rd best player in the draft (you could spend weeks debating Marner, Aho, Rantanen, and even Barzal). Liljegren is the first real test in the 1st round. If Liljegren can be a reliable top 4 D, that would beat the average of picks in the 16-20 range.

Its worth noting however that 2015 entry draft was considered the strongest of the last decade and rivaling among the deepest in the past 20 years. The majority of the 2nd round has already played games in the NHL from that draft class.

Leafs took Dermott at #34 and Carolina took Aho at #35 for example.. So its not only about hitting but hitting on the best players as that is the goal at each draft spot best player available. So is that a hit or a miss relative to his draft class rather than draft round?

So far Robertson looks good (round 2 #53 overall) , but a lot of teams passed on him in his draft class as his average draft ranking was higher than his actual draft position by almost all main agencies.

2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #34 by ISS Hockey
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #35 by Future Considerations
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #48 by Hockeyprospect.com
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #40 by McKeen's Hockey
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #42 by TSN/McKenzie
2019 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #17 by NHL Central Scouting

His size at 5-9 the likely reason he fell as he has the skill level to have gone higher.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Its worth noting however that 2015 entry draft was considered the strongest of the last decade and rivaling among the deepest in the past 20 years. The majority of the 2nd round has already played games in the NHL from that draft class.

Leafs took Dermott at #34 and Carolina took Aho at #35 for example.. So its not only about hitting but hitting on the best players as that is the goal at each draft spot best player available. So is that a hit or a miss relative to his draft class rather than draft round?

So far Robertson looks good (round 2 #53 overall) , but a lot of teams passed on him in his draft class as his average draft ranking was higher than his actual draft position by almost all main agencies.

His size at 5-9 the likely reason he fell as he has the skill level to have gone higher.

Aho is a perfect example of why draft pedigree becomes absolutely meaningless the second after the player is drafted.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If Hunter ever gets another NHL job it'll be interesting to see how that team drafts.

I really wasn't a fan of the '16, and '17 selections beyond the first round (a few exceptions of course). But there seemed a fairly deep diversion in draft philosophy in those years vs 2015. So from an outsider's pov seems hard to see where Hunters views falls vs the influence of Lou

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

If you get a top 4 d man in the 2nd round it’s a hit regardless of who was drafted after.

Reactions: TimeZone

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
One thing that the primitive Hunter fans and Dubas draft detractors must finally accept is both people did better with drafting SMALL PLAYERS than they did big ones.(outside the first round obviously before someone cites Matthews)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
One thing that the primitive Hunter fans and Dubas draft detractors must finally accept is both people did better with drafting SMALL PLAYERS than they did big ones.(outside the first round obviously before someone cites Matthews)
Grundstrom and Dermott aren’t particularly small. Both are pretty built.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder if he ever plays for the Leafs mostly before they asre in full win now mode and will be for the foreseeable future which means the Leafs will be moving prosperous out to strengthen the roster

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Another 2 points for Robertson last night in Windsor.

Also, SDA with 7 assists through 2 games.

These 2 should continue to wreak havoc on the OHL this year.

Reactions: ToneBone03

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm a little surprised that Robertson was signed to his ELC to show how impressed the Leafs are with him and then not get him some exhibition work but sent him back to junior early.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'm a little surprised that Robertson was signed to his ELC to show how impressed the Leafs are with him and then not get him some exhibition work but sent him back to junior early.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

How many games did SDA get last year?

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I think there might be reason to believe that sticking around Leafs camp didn't do SDA any favors last year, to come over late and not have the opportunity to build chemistry with his linemates, makes it more difficult to find your footing midseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad