Prospect Info: Robert Thomas (20th overall in 2017)

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I think Thomas is due for a real breakout season in the OHL. I could see him (like Kyrou) really jumping out and leading his team. I think he'll make the Canadian WJC team, and maybe crack 100 points.

Thomas may spend 2 years in the OHL, but I think, if not by 2018, by September 2019 he'll be wearing a Note on his chest. London Knights program is fantastic so I'm extremely confident hell develop well.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Went back and watched the top prospect game and wow i came away impressed. He didnt get quite as much time as some of the other lines, but when the puck is on his stick he ALWAYS finds the open man. He also was great with constant defensive pressure when the other team had the puck and caused a few turn overs.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Via Redline:

20. St. Louis Blues — C Robert Thomas. Smooth playmaking center improved dramatically over the course of season and by playoff time was one of London’s best players. Moves the puck with ease, using his slick hands to dance around defenders. Has good speed and skates with his head up looking to make plays — good vision and soft passing touch. Thinks pass-first, but has a sneaky-fast release and should shoot more. Very intelligent with good hockey sense in all three zones. Gained the trust of demanding coach Dale Hunter, and saw duty on both special teams. There was a huge up-tick in his tenacity and battle levels, making a lot of second effort plays to maintain pressure in the offensive end. Versatile and can be effective in any role. Lots of growth left in his lean frame. Plays a solid two-way game, but can still be caught out of position at times.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
This kid checks a lot of key boxes:

1: Good hockey sense
2: Solid skater.
3: Plays a 200 foot game

Those are the big three to make it in the NHL(if you don't shoot like Tank). However, then you add in the offensive skills like vision and passing ability and you've got a very exciting center prospect here.

He really does seem like another Paul Stastny. Right down to the "he needs to shoot more";)

It doesn't seem like there is much that could hold him back from at least being a Sobotka type 3rd line center. I know that isn't exciting in the least for this club that is awash with 3rd line centers. However, I'm just talking NHL floor. The upside, as mentioned, is a top 6 center with Stastny-like potential.

Exciting pick.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

I keep thinking about this picture. Thomas stuck around on the second day just to watch who the Blues would pick. In the video when Noel is walking around the Blues' box, meeting Jax and Brodeur and everyone else, there's Thomas too. Idk, it's a small thing, but I think it shows he has a love for the game, and is committed to the team. That kind of leadership/dedication will make him a good locker room guy.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I keep thinking about this picture. Thomas stuck around on the second day just to watch who the Blues would pick. In the video when Noel is walking around the Blues' box, meeting Jax and Brodeur and everyone else, there's Thomas too. Idk, it's a small thing, but I think it shows he has a love for the game, and is committed to the team. That kind of leadership/dedication will make him a good locker room guy.

I am pretty sure the caption means his London Knights "teammates". Formenton went in the 2nd, Crawley in the 4th and Golden in the 5th. I would assume wanting to know where his friends with whom he has spent the past season would get drafted was more on his mind than who the Blues drafted that might play with him years down the road.

My thought when looking at that picture: do they throw the names on the jerseys super-fast, did we know we'd take Thomas, or did we have jerseys for our top 20 choices?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, either way, I think it shows positive things about his character. I guess I'd be curious of how many do similar things. and hang out to watch until their teammates from juniors are drafted or their NHL team is finished.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Is that unusual though? For kids to stick around for the second day? Could also have some of his friends/teammates there and wanted to see them drafted. Or had the hotel for another night because nobody knew if he would go in the first or early second round with how all over the place this draft is. Maybe you're right and he stuck around just to watch who the Blues picked, but I doubt it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yeah, either way, I think it shows positive things about his character.

Killers and drug-dealers don't rat on their friends. Sticking around the draft where you are treated special and get to hang with hockey greats while hoping to know where your teammates landed does not make him a saint. Maybe he stuck around to rub it in their faces that he got drafted first. Who knows? I think assuming anything reading too much into it. Shiny new toy syndrome. We take every scrap of detail we here and use it to craft them out to be this tremendous person and athlete. One comment can set speculation running rampant, so much so that it becomes fact. "I can't believe the rumors he is selfish, remember how he wouldn't leave the arena until his friends were drafted" or "Oshie is a locker-room cancer because someone speculated that once way back when" or any of 100 other examples. It probably is a positive thing and he probably is a good guy. But we can't really judge from one pic and caption.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Killers and drug-dealers don't rat on their friends. Sticking around the draft where you are treated special and get to hang with hockey greats while hoping to know where your teammates landed does not make him a saint. Maybe he stuck around to rub it in their faces that he got drafted first. Who knows? I think assuming anything reading too much into it. Shiny new toy syndrome. We take every scrap of detail we here and use it to craft them out to be this tremendous person and athlete. One comment can set speculation running rampant, so much so that it becomes fact. "I can't believe the rumors he is selfish, remember how he wouldn't leave the arena until his friends were drafted" or "Oshie is a locker-room cancer because someone speculated that once way back when" or any of 100 other examples. It probably is a positive thing and he probably is a good guy. But we can't really judge from one pic and caption.

Yeah, what an ******* Thomas is.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
My thought when looking at that picture: do they throw the names on the jerseys super-fast, did we know we'd take Thomas, or did we have jerseys for our top 20 choices?

The nameplates are velcro instead of sewn on. So they probably had a decent number of Velcro nameplates put together but I'd suspect most later round picks just got a blank '17 jersey.

As for Thomas, he seems like a good character kid but yeah, we probably shouldn't read too much into this one pic/caption.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Is that unusual though? For kids to stick around for the second day? Could also have some of his friends/teammates there and wanted to see them drafted. Or had the hotel for another night because nobody knew if he would go in the first or early second round with how all over the place this draft is. Maybe you're right and he stuck around just to watch who the Blues picked, but I doubt it.

I thought he was sticking around to see which London Knights were drafted, not Blues picks.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I hope he turns out better than Lars Eller, who was touted as a great 2 way center.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I hope he turns out better than Lars Eller, who was touted as a great 2 way center.

I remember Jarmo bragging on that pick about how Lars was 'like a Viking'. As much enthusiasm as I had for Jarmo at the time, in hindsight not many of his European scout picks turned out that great. I guess at least Lars turned into an NHL player, but not what we hoped. It was pretty early on that the team gave up on him in the trade for Halak, but it ended up not being a bad decision to part with him.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Thomas may end up as the great feeder for Tarasenko. We can hope. In the meantime, we need to find another player to do that job. I don't think we can count on Barbashev to be that guy this season.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Thomas may end up as the great feeder for Tarasenko. We can hope. In the meantime, we need to find another player to do that job. I don't think we can count on Barbashev to be that guy this season.

I agree we can't count on Barbashev in that capacity, but he's definitely proven he's an NHL-level player who can both be responsible and looks good with skilled players. I'm a little afraid that he's going to get edged out and kept in the minors for most of this season and he won't be better for it.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

5720156a77f73.image.jpg

Also a former Rams 1st round bust.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I agree we can't count on Barbashev in that capacity, but he's definitely proven he's an NHL-level player who can both be responsible and looks good with skilled players. I'm a little afraid that he's going to get edged out and kept in the minors for most of this season and he won't be better for it.

That would be a huge mistake. The kid is ready for a top 9 spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad