Prospect Info: Robert Thomas (20th overall in 2017)

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Honestly, he sounds more like a young Stastny than Schwartz. Really gifted playmaker, not a great shot, sees the ice really well...great work ethic, good skater (probably better in this dept than Stas).

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Honestly, he sounds more like a young Stastny than Schwartz. Really gifted playmaker, not a great shot, sees the ice really well...great work ethic, good skater (probably better in this dept than Stas).

Very good comparison as well. I'd love another stastny with more footspeed and finesse.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Depending on his usage next year, I wouldn't be surprised if he scores upwards of 100 points. His ability to make impossible plays can be reminiscent of Marner at times. Unbelievable vision.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Depending on his usage next year, I wouldn't be surprised if he scores upwards of 100 points. His ability to make impossible plays can be reminiscent of Marner at times. Unbelievable vision.

Yup just watched his shifts in one of their games against windsor recently. So much vision, can thread the needle, especially working the half wall on the PP, he fed kukkonen for a 1-t through a maze. Can't imagine how this guy would play in between tararasenko.

Extremely excited for thomas. He seems to be the whole package on and off the ice. Just need to work on that release, but the hockey sense, the hands, the speed, the vision are all there.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Excellent pick for the Blues!!
He has high end skill.
Great work habits and attitude towards his Coaching Staff and Team-Mates.
Also:
He trained with Matthew Tkachuk in St. Louis last summer.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
This was a great pick for the Blues. Liked him a decent amount better than Poehling.

I can't wait to see the difference between the two 3-5 years from now. I think thomas could be our stastny replacement(assuming stas signs a 2 yr deal after this year) and end up being an upgrade on what stastny has provided for us(not bashing stas, i'm high on thomas)

I think Poehling has a very limited ceiling with a fantastic chance to reach it, i think robert thomas has a giroux-esque ceiling tho obviously doubtful he hits THAT level.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I've read that he has a good shot though not an ultra-quick release.

Game seems exceptionally well rounded...only thing again is that he probably needs to shoot once in a while to keep the D honest. He apparently thinks pass first, pass second and pass third.

His passes and vision are undeniably elite...think he will need decent wingers...he might develop into the best playmaker we have had in a very long time.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I've read that he has a good shot though not an ultra-quick release.

Game seems exceptionally well rounded...only thing again is that he probably needs to shoot once in a while to keep the D honest. He apparently thinks pass first, pass second and pass third.

His passes and vision are undeniably elite...think he will need decent wingers...he might develop into the best playmaker we have had in a very long time.

One's shot can be improved upon - hockey IQ and the ability to make passes in traffic is one of the hardest things to work on or improve. I'm sure he's aware that his shot will need to improve. He could be an exciting player for us in 2-3 years.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
One's shot can be improved upon - hockey IQ and the ability to make passes in traffic is one of the hardest things to work on or improve. I'm sure he's aware that his shot will need to improve. He could be an exciting player for us in 2-3 years.

Totally agree....the playmaking and vision are elite. Honestly, I don;t care whether he ever develops an elite shot b/c the rest of the package is so attractive.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I'm very high on Thomas. I think he has potential playmaking 1C ability, and can also hold his own in a 200-ft game. I think he has an average ceiling of a 2C, and outside of a few of the centers in the top of the draft, this guy was my choice center regardless of position.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I'm very high on Thomas. I think he has potential playmaking 1C ability, and can also hold his own in a 200-ft game. I think he has an average ceiling of a 2C, and outside of a few of the centers in the top of the draft, this guy was my choice center regardless of position.

He flew under my radar, but after watching videos of him, i am really impressed with his vision and playmaking abilities. Looking forward to watching him develop

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Who's a good comp? Mike Ribeiro?

I don't watch enough to feel comfortable making a comparison to anyone outside my immediate knowledge, but I would say he is a more universal passer than Stastny (Stastny likes to get set in the O-zone and then dish from behind the net), is faster, and plays a more cerebral defensive game. He won't be as imposing as Stastny physically, but he is more creative than Paul. I think he will end up a better match for top talent than Paul is, but I don't want to say that Thomas will necessarily put up more points, either.

Stastny is better down low, and plays a grindier defensive style. Thomas is more cerebral and highlight-reel passing is his forte.

These are just my thoughts from what I would describe as limited viewing (never live, never full-shifts, and limited to highlight-reels within the past month).

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Who's a good comp? Mike Ribeiro?

He's not like Ribeiro at all.

Think Derek Stepan. That's the first guy that comes to mind. He may be a better playmaker (and Stepan the better goal scorer) but they play pretty similarly.

He's gonna need to use his shot more (shot isn't great but IMO better than perceived).

Hopefully him and Kyrou don't play together cause then only 1 player on that line would shoot the damn puck :laugh:.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He's not like Ribeiro at all.

Think Derek Stepan. That's the first guy that comes to mind. He may be a better playmaker (and Stepan the better goal scorer) but they play pretty similarly.

He's gonna need to use his shot more (shot isn't great but IMO better than perceived).

Hopefully him and Kyrou don't play together cause then only 1 player on that line would shoot the damn puck :laugh:.

I'd say stepan is a pretty realistic comparable. My ceiling comparable (him if he hits is max ceiling) would be giroux. Giroux especially a couple seasons ago when he was not only an elite point producing setup man but a very good 200ft player as well. That's my hopeful comparison for thomas and I'd say a stepan is a more realistic ceiling.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
The kid has GREAT vision and hands! I think his ability to create opportunities and see the ice is something you cannot teach. Which gives him a great base to develop off of, and could be a very solid #2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad