Value of: Robby Fabbri at the TDL

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hypothetically, say Fabbri puts up 35-40 points between now and the trade deadline, what could his potential return be?

He would seemingly shed the criticisms of what his injuries have done to him, and would still be RFA in July.

Why would Detroit trade him under those circumstances?

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
That’s a lot to ask for..whose to say they’ll all be around...wishful thinking

Not that big of a stretch, Svech is out of waiver exemption and all 3 are doing well in GR. It's possible Yzerman could trade one of them instead of Fabbri but either way room is going to have to be made at some point in the near future.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Not that big of a stretch, Svech is out of waiver exemption and all 3 are doing well in GR. It's possible Yzerman could trade one of them instead of Fabbri but either way room is going to have to be made at some point in the near future.

Not the worst problem to have. No point in trading one of them now before they all are showing they deserve a top 9 spot and there aren’t enough spots.

Our offensive depth is pitiful.

Reactions: Steeler23

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

if you have someone that is producing in your system there is no reason to trade him in hopes that 4 of your prospects will turn out better regardless of pick position.

I get that it looks appealing but honestly if it’s not broke don’t fix it. Detroit should be looking to solidify defense in this next draft or at least offseason. Trading someone who is producing well enough for a top 6 role just isn’t a smart move if you’re living on prayers that someone else will be better.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
if you have someone that is producing in your system there is no reason to trade him in hopes that 4 of your prospects will turn out better regardless of pick position.

I get that it looks appealing but honestly if it’s not broke don’t fix it. Detroit should be looking to solidify defense in this next draft or at least offseason. Trading someone who is producing well enough for a top 6 role just isn’t a smart move if you’re living on prayers that someone else will be better.

Exactly. Trading a young top 6 forward when you only have 3 or 4 other ones because you might have 3 more too 9 forwards in a few years in beyond dumb. Let’s maybe let it become a position of strength before we start dealing from it.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Exactly. Trading a young top 6 forward when you only have 3 or 4 other ones because you might have 3 more too 9 forwards in a few years in beyond dumb. Let’s maybe let it become a position of strength before we start dealing from it.

This. Plus even if you do hit with all of your prospects and Fabbri becomes expendable, you’ll get a lot more for him if he’s proven that he can stay healthy and productive for a couple seasons. Trade him now and teams will understandably be wary of his injury history, and his value will suffer accordingly.

There are simply so many reasons not to trade him now that attempting to do so would send a clear message to other teams that Yzerman & Co. don’t think he can keep this up; if they don’t think he can do so then why would any GM with a functioning cerebrum pay for him as though he will?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

If there's one place we're strong, it's wing.
Bertuzzi. Mantha. Athanasiou.
Still coming: Zadina. Svechnikov.
Maybe Rasmussen (if he's a winger, as I suspect, and not a center).
Maybe Givani Smith. Jonatan Berggren.
That's 8 potential top 9 wingers. We need six. We already have 3. I think it's a real good bet we have 3 more.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
If there's one place we're strong, it's wing.
Bertuzzi. Mantha. Athanasiou.
Still coming: Zadina. Svechnikov.
Maybe Rasmussen (if he's a winger, as I suspect, and not a center).
Maybe Givani Smith. Jonatan Berggren.
That's 8 potential top 9 wingers. We need six. We already have 3. I think it's a real good bet we have 3 more.

So we have ~2 top line wingers, 1 top 6 winger, and then 5 guys coming up for 3 spots. Smith looks like a 4th liner to me so I’d say 4 guys coming up. They’re not going to graduate 4 guys in one season so we have at least 2 years before this is a problem.

Why not wait the 2 seasons and then trade one? The wing spot looks solid for the future but it isn’t yet, so it would be silly to trade one before it’s actually a strength. Fabbri could end up a 1st liner. Why would we trade him while his value is still low?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So we have ~2 top line wingers, 1 top 6 winger, and then 5 guys coming up for 3 spots. Smith looks like a 4th liner to me so I’d say 4 guys coming up. They’re not going to graduate 4 guys in one season so we have at least 2 years before this is a problem.

Why not wait the 2 seasons and then trade one? The wing spot looks solid for the future but it isn’t yet, so it would be silly to trade one before it’s actually a strength. Fabbri could end up a 1st liner. Why would we trade him while his value is still low?

Why?
There are lots of reasons why.
1) Svech is already 23 - same age as Fabbri. Should be up now anyway.
2) If you trade Fabbri at this year's deadline, you've got 3-4 more years of cost control on him. If you wait two years, you're getting closer to UFA age and his trade value declines.
3) Svech, Ras, Zadina don't need two years. Svech should be in our top 9 right now. Ras and Zadina should start next year.

Nobody is talking about trading Fabbri now (as you say), they're talking about moving him at the deadline if he produces.

Personally, if I was Stevie, I'd be listening to offers whenever they come in.

I think Fabbri is pretty small and weak. I could see him sticking as a third line winger.
But it's all about how that value works with the cap hit.

Playing him on the first PP unit... is a good way to jack up his asking price beyond what he's really worth. And if you're gonna do that - trade him.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Why?
2) If you trade Fabbri at this year's deadline, you've got 3-4 more years of cost control on him. If you wait two years, you're getting closer to UFA age and his trade value declines.
3) Svech, Ras, Zadina don't need two years. Svech should be in our top 9 right now. Ras and Zadina should start next year.

Nobody is talking about trading Fabbri now (as you say), they're talking about moving him at the deadline if he produces.

I think Fabbri is pretty small and weak. I could see him sticking as a third line winger.

Playing him on the first PP unit... is a good way to jack up his asking price beyond what he's really worth. And if you're gonna do that - trade him.

1. Svech hasn’t shown enough to deserve to be up yet imo. I’d rather keep him away from this tire fire anyway.

2. If he keeps producing teams will call and I’m all for listening to offers but a player who’s struggled heavily with injuries is going to have far more value after nearly 2 seasons of being healthy and producing, rather 1.

3. At least one of them will be playing 4th line or have Ras at C.

Fabbri is small but we have plenty of size. Let’s not forget he’s sparked our secondary scoring since joining the team. Pretty much any line with him is producing chances and he’s helped the power play as well.

I understand we both want to see the kids up next season and getting good opportunities, but we might have what we want them to become in Fabbri already. Once they are up and showing that Fabbri is expendable, I’m all for it. But for now I think we should just enjoy the free top six winger we were gifted from St. Louis.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Why?

I think you’re missing the point a bit though. There is no guarantee that 1 let alone 4 of those prospects become a top 6 player. Is it likely? Sure. But if someone is producing in your system it would be nieve to trade him unless there is an extenuating circumstance causing you to do so.

I get that you guys are rebuilding but the goal should be building for the future and trying to get back to winning as soon as possible. Trading a young guy who has experience and success in the system is the best way to keep prolonging a rebuild and allowing yourself to stay in the rebuild cycle as opposed to making him one of your core.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think you’re missing the point a bit though. There is no guarantee that 1 let alone 4 of those prospects become a top 6 player. Is it likely? Sure. But if someone is producing in your system it would be nieve to trade him unless there is an extenuating circumstance causing you to do so.

I get that you guys are rebuilding but the goal should be building for the future and trying to get back to winning as soon as possible. Trading a young guy who has experience and success in the system is the best way to keep prolonging a rebuild and allowing yourself to stay in the rebuild cycle as opposed to making him one of your core.

I see our top 9 wingers like so:
Bertuzzi-Mantha-AA-Svechnikov-Zadina-Rasmussen
Beyond that, I want some grit/PK for line 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad