Rob Scuderi to Penguins (4 Year Deal)

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
At least these guys are off to the East and we only have to see Scuds twice next season...barring of course a cup run. *cough*

Sydor25

LA Kings
It's sad that he would waste DL's time when it really seems like the only way he would resign here is if he got absolutely no offers from the eastern conference. Should have told DL that he wanted to move east at the trade deadline. We probably wouldn't have traded him but it would be nice to explore the options.

How do you know he didn't? Dean re-signed Regehr during the playoffs, I'm sure Scuderi told Dean he was leaning towards the Eastern conference. Dean just did his job and tried to make the decision tougher and maybe get him to stay in LA.

Once Pittsburgh told his agent they were interested, he was gone for sure. The Kings re-signed Ellerby for depth a day later.

KingKopitar11*

Scuds is going to do terrible in Pittsburgh though. He can't handle minutes. He's gonna choke in their system imo. There's no hal gill or any defense there. He's gonna be there go to guy and he's not gonna be able to handle that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There's so much untruth in what you've said about him today I don't know where to start.

He's going to be fine.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Scuds is going to do terrible in Pittsburgh though. He can't handle minutes. He's gonna choke in their system imo. There's no hal gill or any defense there. He's gonna be there go to guy and he's not gonna be able to handle that.

daryl-sutter.jpg

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
Sorry to hear of Scuds leaving, as he played his best for the Kings. However, I totally understand his reasoning of wanting to return to the east.
Pens look to be trying to buy selves right into the playoffs again this coming season. Will be interesting to keep track of.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He's always been a money guy.

The way you say "money guy" is not fair, Scuds always honored his contracts and never whined to the media over money. He has every right to sign with whoever offers the most, it's his life and career, and he was a good soldier here.

Don't lump him in with guys like Blake and Smyth.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm happy for him. It sounds like his heart was in the east but he was still thinking of staying with the Kings. Nothing wrong with that and at the end of the day, it's a business. I don't blame him for taking that contract, it's near his family members and I am glad he wasn't going to stay with the Kings for 4 years. He was great in the playoff run last year but this past season he didn't look good. Maybe it's the lack of prep time with training camp but if it's the beginning of the end for him, it's better that he's Pittsburgh's problem.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He may have struggled to start the year but he was really good in the playoffs, especially in the SJ series. If Mitchell comes back healthy the Kings are fine, if he can't come back we are in trouble defensively, neither Greene nor Regehr can replace what Scuds brought.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Is this the first time Deano lost a free agent that he wanted to keep since becoming the Kings GM? And no, he did not want to keep Frolov.

Perhaps. We were going to sign Rob Blake before he bolted to San Jose, but you could probably argue that Dean didn't really want to keep him, but who knows. Have to wait for Dean's tell all book.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I don't buy that for a second. I'm not mad that he left, it's his right to choose where he wants to finish his career, but don't lie about it. He was going back to the east coast all along.

I want to move someplace closer to a major centre. That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed my time in this town, enjoyed the people I've come to be friends with, and don't think of this place as a good community to live in.

It actually can be a good situation and still be something you want to leave, likely because you're looking for something better.

Four years, in a city you're very familiar with, closer to home, and also a very good cup contender with (arguably) the leagues best two players and a Norris nominee on it. Hard to say it's not a better situation.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I want to move someplace closer to a major centre. That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed my time in this town, enjoyed the people I've come to be friends with, and don't think of this place as a good community to live in.

It actually can be a good situation and still be something you want to leave, likely because you're looking for something better.

Four years, in a city you're very familiar with, closer to home, and also a very good cup contender with (arguably) the leagues best two players and a Norris nominee on it. Hard to say it's not a better situation.

I don't disagree with any of that, and i'm certainly not discrediting anything he brought to this organization during his time here, and again I don't blame him for going, but I just don't buy that he was ever seriously considering coming back.

Last edited:

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Sucks to lose him but the writing was on the wall on this one. Willie Mitchell better be healthy. Good luck Scuds, a huge part in making a contender out of the terrible Kings team of the past.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Sucks to lose him but the writing was on the wall on this one. Willie Mitchell better be healthy. Good luck Scuds, a huge part in making a contender out of the terrible Kings team of the past.

Yeah, almost too much is being banked on Mitchell being healthy. Our D is going to suffer big time if he's out. We're going to be missing a lotta those shots blocked and stick checked pucks from Scuds...

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I don't disagree with any of that, and i'm certainly not discrediting anything he brought to this organization during his time here, and again I don't blame him for going, but I just don't buy that he was ever seriously considering coming back.

Based on what? Gut feeling?

Yeah, almost too much is being banked on Mitchell being healthy. Our D is going to suffer big time if he's out. We're going to be missing a lotta those shots blocked and stick checked pucks from Scuds...

MEhh, they've said the same last year when we were without Greene and Mitchell. We held up. We'll suffer, but not as much as everyone says. The system itself is the biggest key to our success.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Based on what? Gut feeling?

All of his quotes about "family decision" he's from the east coast, that's where most of his family lives, dead giveaway. So unless the Kings blew his mind and offered him 4-5 years @ $4.5M or more, he was gone.

All of that being said, I wish Scuds the best in the future.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
He would have been stupid not to listen to the Kings' offers. I don't have any problems with him doing this the way he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad