Waived: Rob Klinkhammer

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Seriously, this. I like Gazdic a lot as a person but how he keeps managing to avoid the axe is beyond me.

McDavid must REALLY like his cooking.

As for Klinkhammer, the writing was on the wall. Iiro Pakarinen stole his job.

yeah i would love to hear how gazdic is a better player to have than klink.... i can't see a logical argument that supports this idea

either way its shuffling deck chairs IMO.... the difference between klink and gazdic, or klink and kassian for that matter, isn't really very great in the grand scheme of things.... its likely not even worth a win in the standings over an entire season to be honest

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Klinkhammer's probably the worst forward on the team outside of Gazdic, but he played a lot more than Gaz did.

The forwards are starting to fill out a little bit, I think they'll look a bit better the next few games.

and none of it will matter a lick as long as justin freaking schultz is playing serious minutes on this team.... the purge starts with schultz... i don't know where it ends, but i know it starts with schultz... he is a summarization of everything that is wrong with this team and organization

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
yeah i would love to hear how gazdic is a better player to have than klink.... i can't see a logical argument that supports this idea

either way its shuffling deck chairs IMO.... the difference between klink and gazdic, or klink and kassian for that matter, isn't really very great in the grand scheme of things.... its likely not even worth a win in the standings over an entire season to be honest

Exactly. You could replace half the blueline and most of the bottom six with any AHL player right now and see no difference.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Fighting

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Klink is the worst or second worst player on the team in almost every single advanced stat.

Worst: Scoring Chance%, GF/60, GA/60, GF%

Second Worst: High-Danger Chance%, Corsi%, Fenwick%

(Korpikoski is the worst in all the categories where Klink is second worst)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Add another one to the MacT acquisition put on waivers list.
It's even worse than that. This was the guy Mactavish was crowing about last year as being responsible for the teams "turn around" when he was refusing to give Nelson any credit.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Klinkhammer, Pakarinen, Kassian, Gazdic, Lander - the team is littered with guys who can't play NHL level hockey. Guys like Letestu and Korpikoski should be fourth liners, not third liners. Lots of work for Chiarelli to do this summer.

They will be 4th liners once ConYaksian is together as a line.
Chiarelli needs to do work in the top 6 adding hard to play against players as opposed to the skilled floaters. A 4th line of Korpikoski-Letestu-Hendricks is just fine.

I don't mind Howson. He built a good team in Columbus, and drafts well

They are the only team worse than the Oilers this season, 2 straight poor years for that team and he brought us Nikki. Howson and MacT need to be gone after this season.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's even worse than that. This was the guy Mactavish was crowing about last year as being responsible for the teams "turn around" when he was refusing to give Nelson any credit.

:laugh:

MacT GM memories are always good for a laugh. Some crying because we still suck, but still a lot of good laughs.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They will be 4th liners once ConYaksian is together as a line.
Chiarelli needs to do work in the top 6 adding hard to play against players as opposed to the skilled floaters. A 4th line of Korpikoski-Letestu-Hendricks is just fine.

They are the only team worse than the Oilers this season, 2 straight poor years for that team and he brought us Nikki. Howson and MacT need to be gone after this season.

Agree on both points. Not sure how anyone can defend Howson as well after this gong show and some of his own moves.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Klink is the worst or second worst player on the team in almost every single advanced stat.

Worst: Scoring Chance%, GF/60, GA/60, GF%

Second Worst: High-Danger Chance%, Corsi%, Fenwick%

(Korpikoski is the worst in all the categories where Klink is second worst)

interesting, i hadn't looked at the stats to be honest.... he didn't exactly look great by the "eye test", but i must admit i'm a little surprised at how badly he does by the "stats test"... i expected him to be bad, just not THAT bad

like i said earlier though, it really is just shuffling deck chairs.... "who plays wing on the 4th line" is far, far, FAR down the list of problems the oilers have, and basically doesn't affect the game in the least

1990*

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: You mean the one team below us in the standings. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nice work Howson.

I don't know what is actually wrong with the Jackets. Does anyone? Prior to the Johansen trade, they had terrific depth at all positions and looked to be a right-hander away from actually being something. In actuality, though, they're perennial under-performers.

I guess the defense isn't all that good, but Murray, JJ and Tyutin all are better than the majority of what we dress night-in and night-out. Bobrovsky is a stellar keeper when healthy, and their forwards put ours to shame on a line-by-line basis.

It honestly feels like the culture and/or city itself. Jeff Carter was lights-out in Philly before hitting the bar scene, but he went to Columbus and couldn't score to save his life. He was promptly traded to LA and won the Kings two Cups. Similarly, Voracek didn't put it together until he was a Flyer. Their most recent problem child, Johansen, looks perfectly fine in Nashville.

Do players just not enjoy Ohio? I don't know what else could explain it.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: You mean the one team below us in the standings. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nice work Howson.

One of my favorite things is when soembody replies like you did with those smilies without offering anything of substance...

Going off memory, while in Columbus, he drafted:

Jakub Voracek, Cam Atkinson, Ryan Johansen, Boone Jenner, Ryan Murray....Thats really probably better than average, so I am not sure why the need to laugh at another poster uncontrollably.

In trades, he aquired RJ Umberger, Scottie Upshall, Jeff Carter (Jack Johnson), Sergei Bobrovsky, Dubinsky...

They also made the playoffs for the first time under his watch. He got some good players, but perhaps his downfall were the coaches. He showed he wasn't afraid to make moves, and even correct the ones he made (Carter --> Johnson), which is more than we can say for the guys leading the Oilers while he was in Columbus.

Oilers probably would have fared better if he was the GM instead of Tambo or MacT.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't mind Howson. He built a good team in Columbus, and drafts well

Nobody would agree with that. Not only did he have a hand in making that club considerably worse, he removed players that were marquee players that would be any reason for anybody to even have the slightest interest watching that club.

I feel sorry for Columbus. Even from an Oilers perspective.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
One of my favorite things is when soembody replies like you did with those smilies without offering anything of substance...

Jakub Voracek, Cam Atkinson, Ryan Johansen, Boone Jenner, Ryan Murray....Thats really probably better than average, so I am not sure why the need to laugh at another poster uncontrollably.

In trades, he aquired RJ Umberger, Scottie Upshall, Jeff Carter (Jack Johnson), Sergei Bobrovsky, Dubinsky...

They also made the playoffs for the first time under his watch. He got some good players, but perhaps his downfall were the coaches. He showed he wasn't afraid to make moves, and even correct the ones he made (Carter --> Johnson), which is more than we can say for the guys leading the Oilers while he was in Columbus.

Oilers probably would have fared better if he was the GM instead of Tambo or MacT.

Really, no mention of all the players that he dealt?

Look, simple as pie, this is the roster Howson inherited;

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0023302007.html

Players of note;

Rick Nash, Adam Foote, Sergei Fedorov, Mark Methot, Malhotra, Glencross, Modin, Chimera.

With at least a few of those players being legendary allstars. The kind of names that draw fans in at least.

He parlayed that to this lineup at the time of his firing;

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0023302013.html

Note no marquee players of note in that lineup. Went from having 3 marquee players to zero in a non traditional hockey market. Just in terms of attracting fans that is a silly thing to do in a place like Columbus.

I think he attempted to remedy this with Gaborik, Jeff Carter trades but ended up letting good players go, and those guys didn't stick in Columbus anyway.

During Howsons tenure attendance in Columbus dropped an average of 2k fans a game and with Columbus being reduced to among the worst draws in the league. Under Howsons watch. A clearer look is in ordinals. When Howson took the club over they were average attendance, 19th in league. When Howson left they had plummeted to 28th. Absolutely deserving of getting fired.

With the result being the average person in Columbus probably couldn't name a few players in the present lineup. The Columbus org is still suffering from what Howson did there during his tenure.

Last edited:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

Fair enough, I didnt add much substance but the op never did either. He said he liked Howson and I dont see how that's justifiable. He's built bad teams that have failed to make the playoffs and continue to get worse. He shuffled the deck in Columbus just like MacT did here and then tore things down and left the organization in as bad a place as it was when he got there. He missed obvious holes in his lineup with the jackets, you say coaching I see problems in net and on the blueline.

The worst part is that we hired him back like he'd actually accomplished something.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Fair enough, I didnt add much substance but the op never did either. He said he liked Howson and I dont see how that's justifiable. He's built bad teams that have failed to make the playoffs and continue to get worse. He shuffled the deck in Columbus just like MacT did here and then tore things down and left the organization in as bad a place as it was when he got there. He missed obvious holes in his lineup with the jackets, you say coaching I see problems in net and on the blueline.

The worst part is that we hired him back like he'd actually accomplished something.

No kidding. Especially your last sentence. Lowe couldn't have pumped his accomplishments in Columbus any harder even if he had wanted to. To hear him tell the story you'd think Howson would have put together a Stanley Cup winning team and then decided to leave on his own instead of being fired for several years of futility. It's baffling what passes for talent for the OBC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad