Confirmed with Link: Rob Klinkhammer and Ryan Hamilton extended (1-year contracts)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Every team needs AHL Depth callups. That's why he was signed to a two way contract. If he did have a number of NHL attributes - he would be an NHL player.

What attributes does he bring?
a) 6'2. 219 lbs. Big Heavy forward. He goes to the net . Neither attributes the NHL Oiler forwards have a lot of.
b) scored nearly 1ppg in AHL. That's not a bad thing for a callup.

Hamilton is possibly the worst callup I've seen all year, which is definitely saying something. Of course Yak gets saddled with him for half a dozen games. Who saw that one coming? The most dangerous player we have right now, and the most dangerous pair, Yak and Roy, and the team puts *cooler* out with them to ensure they can't get anything done.

Hamilton was a fantastic disaster once again. He couldn't hang onto a puck if it nail gunned to his stick.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Have no problem with either of these deals.

Klink is cheap and can easily be waived/buried if his play falls off.

Hamilton's appears to be an AHL deal that will pay him an NHL wage if/when he gets called up due to injuries. Appears to be a solid vet on the farm as well.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
You can bury up to 900 thousand dollars on one contract, anything more than that counts against the cap. So for example if a player makes 1 million then he will still count as 100 thousand dollars against the cap.

Thanks learned something new today.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
sure but we need to focus on the 3rd line, not the guys playing 8 minutes a night

again, having a good 4th line is great...but not gonna be the difference between a bad team and a good team

Well MacT did say about 80 % of the guys would be back so that is still 20% to upgrade the team , We can hope we get a real good 3rd line out of it .

I hope gone are

Captain Crap
Nikitin
Purcell

Unsure if Schultz should go . Under Nelson he has look better , but i am worried signing him long term to big money is MacT big move this summer .

Like to add

Boychuk
Carl Soderberg
and one more solid 3rd liner

Klefbom + Boychuk would be a solid NHL 2nd pairing

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
sure but we need to focus on the 3rd line, not the guys playing 8 minutes a night

again, having a good 4th line is great...but not gonna be the difference between a bad team and a good team

There's a reason it's called the Wagon Line. This isn't a line that plays 8 minutes a night. It's a line that plays 12-15 minutes a night, and is a major cause of any success

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
I honestly never liked the pick from day one. He's not a guy that would have ever done well IMO.

Way to early to give up on Pitlick. He has incredible speed anx hits more than most on the team. Sign him to a two way contract. Seeing how it took Lander until now to hit his stride why would you want to give up on Pitlick?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Well MacT did say about 80 % of the guys would be back so that is still 20% to upgrade the team , We can hope we get a real good 3rd line out of it .

I hope gone are

Captain Crap
Nikitin
Purcell

Unsure if Schultz should go . Under Nelson he has look better , but i am worried signing him long term to big money is MacT big move this summer .

Like to add

Boychuk
Carl Soderberg
and one more solid 3rd liner

Klefbom + Boychuk would be a solid NHL 2nd pairing

Schultz is an OK #6D, nothing more than that. If he wants to be a 3rd/4th line winger that's a different story.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Way to early to give up on Pitlick. He has incredible speed anx hits more than most on the team. Sign him to a two way contract. Seeing how it took Lander until now to hit his stride why would you want to give up on Pitlick?

I agree, there's no point in giving up on a guy like Pitlick right now he's got an NHL skillset and he's still showing improvement. Chicago developed Bickell like this iirc and besides there's obviously been other guys who've needed extra development and turned out pretty good too. Pitlick was rushed to the pro's and has had injury issues so i'm of the mind he's probably a year or more behind in his development, maybe he can make up for lost time.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Schultz is an OK #6D, nothing more than that. If he wants to be a 3rd/4th line winger that's a different story.

Justin Schultz has the ability to be a tremendous difference maker with his ability to augment the rush leading to scoring chances and offensive zone time. Of course there are some troubling defensive issues to contend with but it's also important to consider he's still an inexperienced dman. You don't win in the NHL with dmen in feature roles who have less than 3-4 seasons experience unless we're talking about a truly rare talent or a player with an exceptional amount of help around him. Justin Schultz needs to become a harder SOB in his own zone and take the man out of the play more effectively but his breakout has improved and he is getting a bit better in coverage. Giving a proper role and some more development we could be talking about a guy that develops into a Keith Yandle type, he struggled in his own end for some time too and still does to a degree. Guys like Yandle and even Shattenkirk excell in large part due to the impact of a strong d-core where they don't have to play shutdown minutes. Schultz has been given too difficult opponents too fast and with very poor help in terms of coaching, forwards, goaltending, and D partners. N.Schultz-Ference-Hunt-Nikitin these were his partners before Klefbom, think about that. I think he's overpaid right now but i also think there's the skillset for a top tier offensive dman.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
There's a reason it's called the Wagon Line. This isn't a line that plays 8 minutes a night. It's a line that plays 12-15 minutes a night, and is a major cause of any success

Agreed.

The ability to put that line out and not be a defensive liability, giving our top lines much needed rest so that they can be most effective when out there is absolutely a major cause for success.

Eakins third periods it looked like Hall never left the ice, then he would be dead dog tired and get a break but skate into 4 defenders, I felt bad for the guy, he's already been out there for 2 minutes what could we expect.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada

I don't see him as anything special. The heart is there but really, is he going to be better than Liam Reddox? Serious question.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I agree, there's no point in giving up on a guy like Pitlick right now he's got an NHL skillset and he's still showing improvement. Chicago developed Bickell like this iirc and besides there's obviously been other guys who've needed extra development and turned out pretty good too. Pitlick was rushed to the pro's and has had injury issues so i'm of the mind he's probably a year or more behind in his development, maybe he can make up for lost time.

How has Pitlick been rushed? If anything they have been waiting on his development. Sure some guys take longer but he's not Bickell sized. He's worth a one year deal but we're not talking about a guy that you shouldn't be able to sign every year (player type) as an UFA. I like the kid but I'm just not really as high on him turning out as some of the posters here. Hopefully I'm wrong.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Well, I hope that means Fraser and Pinizzotto are not signed to NHL contracts because there are already some tough decisions that will have to be made. Not sure I am a fan of signing Hamilton. I think we could have got someone with a bitmore upside.

Need to sign or should sign:

Yakupov
Roy
Pitlick
Lander
Schultz
Marincin

Another NHL Goalie
Our first round from this year
Another NHL defenceman
Brandon Davidson
Do the OIlers sign Curtis Hamilton?
Joey Laleggia
Kyle Platzer
Anton Slepshev
Marco Roy
Houck
Another goalie in the minors or Bachman
A goalie for the ECHL if not signing Rimmer, Tuohimaa or Bunz (maybe Matt O'Conner)

That is 18 to sign and 29 already signed for a total of 47. We could probably use 2 NHL defencemen and not just the one put above. Also, this scenario leaves Andrew Miller, Kellan Lain, and John McCarron on the outside looking in. The OIlers will also most likely sign one College UFA and/or Patrick Hersley.

I am guessing these are signings that are close to guaranteed to take place. Pitlick, Davidson possible, but unlikely, imho. Slepyshev--depends on whether he comes over. Hamilton probably not. M.Roy has not done enough to warrant a contract,but he's a 2nd round pick so everything is possible.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I don't see him as anything special. The heart is there but really, is he going to be better than Liam Reddox? Serious question.

Lander has much better skill set and is generally more durable player. I think Pitlick may have run out of his chances. Does not mean he won't get a shot with someone else.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Hamilton is possibly the worst callup I've seen all year, which is definitely saying something. Of course Yak gets saddled with him for half a dozen games. Who saw that one coming? The most dangerous player we have right now, and the most dangerous pair, Yak and Roy, and the team puts *cooler* out with them to ensure they can't get anything done.

Hamilton was a fantastic disaster once again. He couldn't hang onto a puck if it nail gunned to his stick.

I actually think Hamilton has done ok. Granted my expectations for him are low. He's at best a 4th line player. I am surprised they extended him. Hopefully, it's a 2 way contract. I would prefer them to keep Fraser or Pitlick for the 4th line or PB. At least they are young enough to have some upside.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I actually think Hamilton has done ok. Granted my expectations for him are low. He's at best a 4th line player. I am surprised they extended him. Hopefully, it's a 2 way contract. I would prefer them to keep Fraser or Pitlick for the 4th line or PB. At least they are young enough to have some upside.

Trouble is he kills any production whatsoever due to being virtually incapable of handling the puck at this level. Quickest way to look at this is If Yak is passing to Hamilton last night instead of an actual NHL forward the Oil don't get the goal on the beauty setup and Yak doesn't get the point. Yak has set Hamilton up 10 times in the time they've been playing together which is basically a waste of time but Yak trying to help the kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad