Confirmed with Link: Rob Klinkhammer and Ryan Hamilton extended (1-year contracts)

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
Well, I hope that means Fraser and Pinizzotto are not signed to NHL contracts because there are already some tough decisions that will have to be made. Not sure I am a fan of signing Hamilton. I think we could have got someone with a bitmore upside.

Need to sign or should sign:

Yakupov
Roy
Pitlick
Lander
Schultz
Marincin
Another NHL Goalie
Our first round from this year
Another NHL defenceman
Brandon Davidson
Do the OIlers sign Curtis Hamilton?
Joey Laleggia
Kyle Platzer
Anton Slepshev
Marco Roy
Houck
Another goalie in the minors or Bachman
A goalie for the ECHL if not signing Rimmer, Tuohimaa or Bunz (maybe Matt O'Conner)

That is 18 to sign and 29 already signed for a total of 47. We could probably use 2 NHL defencemen and not just the one put above. Also, this scenario leaves Andrew Miller, Kellan Lain, and John McCarron on the outside looking in. The OIlers will also most likely sign one College UFA and/or Patrick Hersley.

Last edited:

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
2dHNVgS.gif

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I haven't recognized one beneficial aspect that Hamilton brings to the club other than us playing shorthanded without the fill spot. To anybody more familiar with the player, or perhaps seeing something else, what is this player actually good at?

I see somebody that can't control the puck, can't support offense, whiffs on anything, isn't physical, or hard to play against and is a square peg in the Roy-Yak line who has limited production of that line.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I haven't recognized one beneficial aspect that Hamilton brings to the club other than us playing shorthanded without the fill spot. To anybody more familiar with the player, or perhaps seeing something else, what is this player actually good at?

I see somebody that can't control the puck, can't support offense, whiffs on anything, isn't physical, or hard to play against and is a square peg in the Roy-Yak line who has limited production of that line.
That's him.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hamilton? I can no reason why this guy is in the NHL. There just isn't any attribute I see that he contributes or does well. Unimpressed with this player.

Every team needs AHL Depth callups. That's why he was signed to a two way contract. If he did have a number of NHL attributes - he would be an NHL player.

What attributes does he bring?
a) 6'2. 219 lbs. Big Heavy forward. He goes to the net . Neither attributes the NHL Oiler forwards have a lot of.
b) scored nearly 1ppg in AHL. That's not a bad thing for a callup.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Every team needs AHL Depth callups. That's why he was signed to a two way contract. If he did have a number of NHL attributes - he would be an NHL player.

What attributes does he bring?
a) 6'2. 219 lbs. Big Heavy forward. He goes to the net . Neither attributes the NHL Oiler forwards have a lot of.
b) scored nearly 1ppg in AHL. That's not a bad thing for a callup.

Indeed.

Its a little perplexing to see posters ripping on a 2 way part time AHL call up that is only playing due to injuries.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I like bringing Hamilton back.

Good vet in the AHL and can more or less play anywhere on the big club in a pinch.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
So if it was a one-way you're not? :laugh:

It doesn't affect anything except Hamilton getting an NHL salary for himself and his family. :p:

1) One way contracts are for players that deserve them and if you give a player one the expectation is that they have a real chance at playing full time on the starting roster. As an AHL journeyman I don't think he should be afforded this luxury.
2) As much as we like to pretend like Katz's money is infinite it is not and that money could be spent elsewhere to aid the club like a better scouting presence in eastern europe and russia for example.
3) Capgeek is now defunct, but when I demoted someone on a one-way contract to the AHL it carried a buried contract cost, which showed up as a small sum that counted against the NHL team's salary cap.

I skimmed through the CBA that's more reading then I feel like doing right now and from what I can tell there is no cost for burying a one-way contract in the AHL.

excerpt from CBA pg 285 "Illustration #1: If a Player with a One-Way SPC with Paragraph 1 NHL Salary of
$600,000 is Loaned to a Club's AHL affiliate, such Club shall not receive a
charge to its Averaged Club Salary for as long as such Player is on Loan. "

Maybe cause I was using capgeek mid-season it was smart enough to calculate the earned portion of the NHL salary that would count against the cap, or maybe it was just wonky in that one respect.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

He's a good AHL veteran. That's about it. Every organization has players like him. It's unlikely he ever plays more than ~15 games in a year unless there is a crazy string of injuries.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I was hoping we'd keep Klinkhammer. He's a good fit on that line with Gordon even playing his off wing most of the time. If they get a good offer for Hendricks at the deadline, he'd be a good replacement next year, though I'd rather they kept all 3.

Hamilton should spend the year in the minors, so I hope it's 2-way. I wouldn't have signed him, but as minor league depth, I'm ok with it.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Klink has been a bit better than I thought he would be. The physical play also fell off a bit as I expected. I would a player that is a better shutdown line player to work with Hendricks and Gordon who given our defense corps need every bit of help they can get. Klink is physical, but I find not a defensive forward.

Hamilton? I can no reason why this guy is in the NHL. There just isn't any attribute I see that he contributes or does well. Unimpressed with this player.

I think Hamilton has been fine as a call up so far how that we've got the chance to get a better sample size of what he brings.

I can't really complain about us signing depth players....

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
1) One way contracts are for players that deserve them and if you give a player one the expectation is that they have a real chance at playing full time on the starting roster. As an AHL journeyman I don't think he should be afforded this luxury.
2) As much as we like to pretend like Katz's money is infinite it is not and that money could be spent elsewhere to aid the club like a better scouting presence in eastern europe and russia for example.
3) Capgeek is now defunct, but when I demoted someone on a one-way contract to the AHL it carried a buried contract cost, which showed up as a small sum that counted against the NHL team's salary cap.

I skimmed through the CBA that's more reading then I feel like doing right now and from what I can tell there is no cost for burying a one-way contract in the AHL.

excerpt from CBA pg 285 "Illustration #1: If a Player with a One-Way SPC with Paragraph 1 NHL Salary of
$600,000 is Loaned to a Club's AHL affiliate, such Club shall not receive a
charge to its Averaged Club Salary for as long as such Player is on Loan. "

Maybe cause I was using capgeek mid-season it was smart enough to calculate the earned portion of the NHL salary that would count against the cap, or maybe it was just wonky in that one respect.

You can bury up to 900 thousand dollars on one contract, anything more than that counts against the cap. So for example if a player makes 1 million then he will still count as 100 thousand dollars against the cap.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Klink has been a bit better than I thought he would be. The physical play also fell off a bit as I expected. I would a player that is a better shutdown line player to work with Hendricks and Gordon who given our defense corps need every bit of help they can get. Klink is physical, but I find not a defensive forward.

Yeah I really don't get what they see in him either. I'd have let him walk.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
When we picked up Klink and Fraser Pitlick was no longer part of this team's future plans. Both are better than him. He's just another AHL fourth line NHL wannabe.

With the hype behind Pitlick's game, you don't want him if he's only going to make the 4th line anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad