Road To The Winter Classic starts tonight.

jrolley325

Dec 12, 2010
Youngstown, OH
the best part of the episode came at the very end with the exchance between barry trotz and paul devorski. trotz complaining about the OT penalty where devorski yells "you were on the power play all ******* night!"

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
DLing it now. The first 24/7 was one of my favourite TV series ever, though I'm sure it was a mix of how amazing it was, the team selection, and the fact that I'd never seen anything like it (with hockey, at least). Looking forward to it.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
good episode. some fun and telling moments. the two teams have a very different feel.

wilson and latta showing off their ketchup and calling backstrom "papa" :laugh:

standout character: mitch korn and his car closet

one criticism: the road speech in the beginning was eyerollingly bad :laugh:

Last edited:

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I think it is better than the Wings-Leafs one and a little worse than the Rags-Flyers one. None of them compare to the Pens-Caps one though

Do you think that one was best because it was new or do you think teams started acting different around the cameras after the first one.

None of the following shows are anywhere close to as good as the first.

BigBlueReg

Dec 5, 2014
England
I live in Holland. the only hockey they show on tv is a 2 minute highlight reel of the final at the Winter Olympics, with Dutch commentary, with people who don't know how to pronounce player names haha.

Ah, we have had quite a good few years of decent NHL coverage here. We also get our own EIHL, the Champions League, and soon the Swedish league.

Tbf our Olympic commentators made a mess of a lot of names. He even called Jamie Benn a St Louis Blue.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
I'm astonished some people are surprised how many F-bombs coaches and players are dropping? You see them do that every game. Whether the coach is mad at a player or a ref for a bad call. Players are constantly calling each other "****ing *****" etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Very impressed, the production value on that was much higher than I thought it'd be - pretty much on par with HBO. If there's one thing I want to see more of, it's more on-ice mic'd stuff, there wasn't much of that - and a little more personal stuff with the players.

The Latta/Wilson scene was great - "Yeah, we got a great deal on 3 for 1 ketchup." :laugh:

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
The music sucked but the hockey related stuff was pretty good. Highlights for me: Toews and the dark room, ketchup scene (why would you refrigerate the other two..?..), Barry Trotz and his son, he's so much different than I expected. The zoo trip was very heart warming. That lion was a little perturbed I think.

Burakovsky95*

One of the Caps blogs Japersrink had someone behind the scenes of the editing of episode 2. Some highlights:

Stephen Pepper @StephenPepperNY · 10 hours ago
For #WinterClassic ep 2 "That shootout - we're going to turn that into an epic." Good audio from the Caps bench.

Look for more from "new stars" Latta and Wilson in Road to #WinterClassic. Apparently the ladies love 'em. And why shouldn't they?

A lot of off-ice events, holiday party fun to come in ep 2 Road to #WinterClassic. For Caps fans, a certain special newborn sighting. Aww.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 13h13 hours ago
Spoke with EPIX NHL producer. Ep. 2 is going to be amazing. They actually sent crew to cover Scott Darling's demotion, too. #Blackhawks

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
I liked it a lot. I don't think it will ever reach the level of the first HBO series with the Caps/Pens, but it's still entertaining.

That opening monologue about roads was absolutely absurd though. I literally had my face in my hands. It reminded me of those godawful Matthew McConaughey Lexus commercials :laugh:

As others have said, I'm hoping for more players mic'd up on the ice. The first episode had a lot of game action, but it was mostly just clips from the regular broadcast. We need more ice-level content in terms of both video and audio.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 18m18 minutes ago
Won't spoil it, but watched second episode of Epix's Road to the Winter Classic and Daniel Carcillo has line of year. #spittake #Blackhawks

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I wonder if they touch on the death of Clint Reif? Too depressing? Leave it alone out of respect for the team and family?

I hope they don't honestly, it will only depress me. :(

Aestivalis

Oct 29, 2013
They did, and it's depressing. I managed to sneak it in before the start of the game.

That said, while it ends on a somber note, I think it gives proper recognition to Clint, and adds a little unexpected gravity to the episode. Even knowing that it was going to be touched on, I couldn't help but be gripped by their respectful treatment.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
I've enjoyed this episode. I always like when they focus in on the equipment managers.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Quality wise I think this is on par with Flyers Rangers but I wish they had higher production value

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
Quality wise I think this is on par with Flyers Rangers but I wish they had higher production value

The locker room cameras aren't the best but I'm thinking maybe they're trying to use smaller cameras so it's not like they're sitting in front of a whole camera crew and make it awkward. Not sure though.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Great episode.

Trotz seems like a great locker room coach. Latta/Wilson are hilarious too.

Very sad ending, liked the way they did it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad