Road to the Royal Bank Cup

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
You can change tjhe format all you want. It wouldn't change the likelihood of a Camrose/Humboldt final this year.

I think some of you really underestimate the SJHL. I don't think there's a junior A league that has sent more players to the NHL. More than Flin Flon Bombers have played in the show, 48 Estevan Bruins have played in the show, and I think about 50 Melville Millionaires have played in the show.

How many junior leagues can say they've produced a key contributor to the last five Stanley Cup champions? The SJHL can: Detroit in 2002 (Chris Chelios), New Jersey in 2003 (Ken Daneyko), Tampa in 2004 (Brad Richards and Ruslan Fedotenko), Carolina in 2006 (Rod Brind'Amour) and Anaheim in 2007 (Chris Kunitz).

I believe the SJHL and the BCHL have won the same number of RBC/Centennial Cup tournaments. Or the BCHL has won one more. It's close. The SJHL has eight national titles. And I think Humboldt will make it nine this year.

The SJHL team has won two national titles this decade, and appeared in the national final three other times.

Humboldt this year is an incredible team. They've lost five games since December 1. Inexplicably, they have lost three times in the league final. The Broncos have great speed, depth and goaltending, but what really impresses me about their team is their poise and maturity.

Incidentally, Humboldt beat host Cornwall 7-0 today. Does this mean the trend of host teams losing in the playoffs, but thriving in the RBC, is over?

RobbieCap

Dec 19, 2006
cool.. chris chelios played in the league what, 25 years ago... who gives a crap what does that have to do with now? But nontheless, sjhl is a damn good league very competitive. I see a homboldt/camrose final, but I wouldn't count out Oakville. Cornwall.....embarrassing to say the least.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
I don't think it is underestimating the SJHL to state that the BCHL and AJHL have consistently been stronger leagues. the PA Raiders were absolutely dominant in the late 70s/early 80s, accounting for a fair amount of the championship history. That is not to suggest that the SJHL isn't a strong league. It is. But top to bottom, I'd match either the BCHL or AJHL against it easily.

And given how weak the MJHL is relative to its western counterparts, the SJHL champ has an easy path to the RBC. the Avanet Cup tends to be a walkover for the SJHL team.

The Avanet Cup champ may have two RBC titles in the past decade, but the Doyle Cup champ has five. Going back to the founding of the Manitoba Centennial Trophy, the Doyle Cup champ has 15 national titles, vs. 10 for the Avanet Cup champ.

Of course, That would represent a potential problem with a Western Canada four team tournament: Manitoba would never play for the RBC again.

moko00

Dec 24, 2007
cool.. chris chelios played in the league what, 25 years ago... who gives a crap what does that have to do with now? But nontheless, sjhl is a damn good league very competitive. I see a homboldt/camrose final, but I wouldn't count out Oakville. Cornwall.....embarrassing to say the least.

Well does Oakville's loss tonight to Cornwall count as embarrassing???

scouting24

Aug 27, 2007

RobbieCap - now that Cornwall has beaten Oakville what would that say about the Blades??? I too see a Camrose/Humboldt final but none the less the players of Cornwall are not embarrassing to say the least.

RobbieCap

Dec 19, 2006
I don't think oakville had their A game, thats what a lot of the family members who were there watching said. But I guess what else would they say? . Embarrassing was the wrong word to use with cornwall, I guess it must be tough not playing a real game and I think they were rusty in the first game. I want cornwall to do good since they're the hosts and they should be there in the end, but I'm not sure that they have as much depth as the other teams.
There were a good amount of scouts at the game as well, I think the devils had a guy there and I can't remember the other teams.

moko00

Dec 24, 2007
I don't think oakville had their A game, thats what a lot of the family members who were there watching said. But I guess what else would they say? . Embarrassing was the wrong word to use with cornwall, I guess it must be tough not playing a real game and I think they were rusty in the first game. I want cornwall to do good since they're the hosts and they should be there in the end, but I'm not sure that they have as much depth as the other teams.
There were a good amount of scouts at the game as well, I think the devils had a guy there and I can't remember the other teams.

Looks like Oakville is in trouble. Do they have to win BOTH against Camrose and Humbolt to make it to the semis? Is the first tiebreaker head to head? If that is the case Oakville lost to Cornwall and Pictou and thus is in some serious trouble advancing.

moko00

Dec 24, 2007
You can change tjhe format all you want. It wouldn't change the likelihood of a Camrose/Humboldt final this year.

I think some of you really underestimate the SJHL. I don't think there's a junior A league that has sent more players to the NHL. More than Flin Flon Bombers have played in the show, 48 Estevan Bruins have played in the show, and I think about 50 Melville Millionaires have played in the show.

How many junior leagues can say they've produced a key contributor to the last five Stanley Cup champions? The SJHL can: Detroit in 2002 (Chris Chelios), New Jersey in 2003 (Ken Daneyko), Tampa in 2004 (Brad Richards and Ruslan Fedotenko), Carolina in 2006 (Rod Brind'Amour) and Anaheim in 2007 (Chris Kunitz).

I believe the SJHL and the BCHL have won the same number of RBC/Centennial Cup tournaments. Or the BCHL has won one more. It's close. The SJHL has eight national titles. And I think Humboldt will make it nine this year.

The SJHL team has won two national titles this decade, and appeared in the national final three other times.

Humboldt this year is an incredible team. They've lost five games since December 1. Inexplicably, they have lost three times in the league final. The Broncos have great speed, depth and goaltending, but what really impresses me about their team is their poise and maturity.

Incidentally, Humboldt beat host Cornwall 7-0 today. Does this mean the trend of host teams losing in the playoffs, but thriving in the RBC, is over?

Well the Colts are now 2-1 and have a slim chance to win first in the pool with a win tomorrow. They would need some help however, they are guaranteed at least a 3 seed in the playoff round.. Not bad for a team that everyone wrote off and said wouldn't compete at this tourney.

RobbieCap

Dec 19, 2006
The RBC is a tricky tourny, all you gatta do is string a couple wins together and you're a champ.

moko00

Dec 24, 2007
The RBC is a tricky tourny, all you gatta do is string a couple wins together and you're a champ.

A humbolt loss tomorrow would eliminate them from the tournament. They just lost 7-6 t Oakville. Now if Cornwall can manage a win against Camrose tonight they would wrap up the 1 seed going into the semi's.

scouting24

Aug 27, 2007
A humbolt loss tomorrow would eliminate them from the tournament. They just lost 7-6 t Oakville. Now if Cornwall can manage a win against Camrose tonight they would wrap up the 1 seed going into the semi's.

WOW..... what a game. Despite the fact that Cornwall lost to Camrose by a score of 2-1 it was a game to watch. These boys (Colts) have passion. And despite the fact people had them written off before Christmas, I am amazed. Keep it up boys you are making the CJHL proud. Semi-finals Saturday ngiht at 7, just not sure who they play yet.

scouting24

Aug 27, 2007
Considering Cornwall was written off at Christmas by the fans, the other teams in the league and the CJHL league itself, the host team of the RBC has made it to the semi-finals. They will match up against the Humboldt Broncos. Humboldt beat them first game of the round robin 7-0 after the COlts had a 7 weeks layoff. But after watching the Colts play their next 3 games this is going to be a different game, a good one to watch.
Saturday night 7 p.m. Get your tickets now......I am sure it will be a huge crowd.
So far Cornwall has played in front of : Day 1 - 3500 ppl, Day 2 - 2100 ppl, Day 4 - 1800 ppl and Day 5 - 2100 ppl. It would be nice to sell the place out for tomorrow nights game.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
The round robin is complete as is the semi finals.

The Royal Bank Cup will be played tomorow at 1:00 pm eastern on TSN.

(1) Camrose vs. (2) Humboldt

I have to say Camrose has been the only consistent team in this entire tournament as my Broncos have been up and down (lost a stinker to Oakville). I still like the matchup tomorow though and I think it should be a decent game.

GO BRONCOS GO

Bryzga lol*

Sick ending to the game! What a save! Anyone got info on this goalie? Age? Any chance of moving on to the CHL?

AHF

Apr 21, 2004
Edmonton
Considering the score at the time and the time left to play, that save was one of the best I've ever seen.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
I was really impressed with the dman on Camrose, #24 I think? Anyone have any info on him?
He really walked the line well on the PP and make good, quick decisions

moko00

Dec 24, 2007
I was really impressed with the dman on Camrose, #24 I think? Anyone have any info on him?
He really walked the line well on the PP and make good, quick decisions

I know he is a 91 birth year so that would make him a 16 yr old this year. I don't know much more than that. He played well all tournament.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Sick ending to the game! What a save! Anyone got info on this goalie? Age? Any chance of moving on to the CHL?

Taylor Nelson of Regina as another poster already stated he's committed to Ferris State.

Buzz around Humboldt was that he has been approached by a few pro clubs for a Tryout Agreement, (although I'm not sure at what level). The kids absolutely shattered records this season in the SJHL. And if it wasn't for a disappointing series against Kindersly he could've had a shot at the SJHL rep for CJAHL player of the year.

Was a little disappointing as well in the game against Oakville during the Round Robin, but as he has all year, he stepped it up in a big way when it counts.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
**** I MISSED IT
what happened? someone summary?
and youtube this save come on!

With about 2 seconds left on the score clock (Camrose had a 6-on-4) the puck slid out in the slot, less then 10 feet from the goal. Colbourne wired a laser wrist shot on an almost wide open net. As a Humboldt fan I was choked... I thought that it was a goal for sure. Nelson came across and made a beautiful glove save and absolutely robbed Camrose of what could've been a goal

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
**** I MISSED IT
what happened? someone summary?
and youtube this save come on!

The game was tight all the way through. Camrose got a powerplay in the final minute and were piling on the pressure, with ONE SECOND on the clock, CJHL player of the year Joe Colborne jumped on a lose puck right in the slot and from point blank range went top shelf, the goalie robbed him with the glove.

The glove save was pretty standard as far as point blank glove saves go, it wasn't anything overly miraculous, but considering the way the game had gone, the shooter and the amount of time left, it was friggen amazing.

It'll be on TSN all night tonight. Don Cherry showed it on coaches corner too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad