Road regulation stats vs Chi, LA, Anaheim

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not looking to get a rise, and I've been here (sporadically) during good streaks as well.

It's that our record on the road pretty much speaks for itself. We simply will not win a playoff series against one of these teams until we can beat them in their building. Not when we can barely manage 50/50 at home versus them anyway.

It doesnt make me happy at all. Quite the opposite. I'm sick and tired of this coaching staff and the stale, predictable, easily shutdown decisions they make. A 13 game point streak? Why should I care, when we've done this season in and season out, with the same pathetic results at the end?

We lost to Chicago today in much the same fashion as we lost to them in the playoffs. Bonehead, stupid mistakes at terrible points in the game. Lily soft defense that gives opposing skaters an incredible amount of leeway before doing anything about them. An offensive gameplan that our coaching staff has no clue on.

If that labels me a troll, fine. I'll take it.
I'm totally with you to be honest.

It kind of astonishes me that so many people are okay with these 3-2 and 4-2 losses. To them it shows we are "close", yet they keep happening so really no progress is being made. The top teams are always just a bit better, and that's all you need to win a playoff series - be a bit better than the other team.

People can call me crazy but I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't care if the Blues lose 5-1 or 2-1 against these teams. The point is they keep finding ways to lose.

I don't think Chicago and LA are invincible but I just can't predict this current Blues team to beat either of them. The proof isn't there, so anyone that thinks they will... Props to you, but that's just blind optimism IMO. There's really no basis to believe that will happen.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This team has yet to play them healthy, plus their schedule has drained them. It's not blind optimism, the hawks didn't get an easy win today. None of the top teams have dominated Stl to the point that it's hopeless.

And chippewa, wasn't referring to you in the slightest. Being critical of the team is perfectly fine. I'm referring to a select few who's sole purpose is negativity.

This is the team and coaching staff this season...outside of 3rd line or 3rd D trade..there won't be a major shake up. I just accept that....

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I've seen enough from this team when healthy to feel confident that it's a clearly superior version to what we've iced in previous years.

Time will ultimately tell whether those improvements make them good enough, but I think the "evidence" from previous years is relatively meaningless given the changes in the team.

Even against specific teams this year, the results from a handful of games randomly spread throughout the schedule isn't much of a predictor for what might happen should those two teams meet up in the playoffs months from now. So much can, and will, change between now and then.

That's not to imply that these losses don't matter, or that they are not concerning. Small things have a tendency to snowball into big things. Success breeds confidence, and it's better to iron out major team concerns earlier rather than later. Playoff seeding matters.

I just think it's important to remember that how healthy the team is and how well they are playing in April ultimately matters a lot more than it does right now.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
<snip>

The point is they keep finding ways to lose.

I don't think Chicago and LA are invincible but I just can't predict this current Blues team to beat either of them. The proof isn't there, so anyone that thinks they will... Props to you, but that's just blind optimism IMO. There's really no basis to believe that will happen.
The Blues have been better about finding ways to win this year than in many previous years. Their record when entering the third period trailing is very good. They just won a game against a very strong team (TB) that they had no business winning.

If we're talking about the basis for believing things, there's really no basis for believing that LA is the same team we've lost to in previous playoff appearances. Sportsclubstats gives them a 1 in 3 chance of even making the playoffs. It really doesn't take blind optimism to believe that competitive gap has closed.

Chicago is a bit of a different story, but truthfully the only evidence that those who believe we can't beat them in the playoffs will accept is actually beating them in the playoffs. It's not like winning this game would have changed their minds, nor would have winning the season series. Until this team has a chance to prove their mettle in that setting, we're all just flapping our figurative gums at each other on the topic.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
One of the differences between hockey players and hockey spectators is the art of virtually ignoring who you're playing. In other words, don't worry too much about a loss or get too juiced over a win. We played tired against a team that by beating us really thinks they accomplished something in CBJ. Against the Hawks, well, they remain a good team but we also played well given our brutal schedule of late. Let's not too worked up and start tossing out apocalyptic visions of our future vs certain boogeyman teams; who cares, let's move to the next game. I guarantee the organization has more riding on winning and losing than any of us do. I have a pretty good feeling about this Spring, which is odd considering I shouldn't according to many here:sarcasm:

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The Blues have been better about finding ways to win this year than in many previous years. Their record when entering the third period trailing is very good. They just won a game against a very strong team (TB) that they had no business winning.

If we're talking about the basis for believing things, there's really no basis for believing that LA is the same team we've lost to in previous playoff appearances. Sportsclubstats gives them a 1 in 3 chance of even making the playoffs. It really doesn't take blind optimism to believe that competitive gap has closed.

Chicago is a bit of a different story, but truthfully the only evidence that those who believe we can't beat them in the playoffs will accept is actually beating them in the playoffs. It's not like winning this game would have changed their minds, nor would have winning the season series. Until this team has a chance to prove their mettle in that setting, we're all just flapping our figurative gums at each other on the topic.

I think this is pretty much spot on, especially the last paragraph.

As if we would have won the game yesterday people would have admitted "oh we got the Hawks now!". We could have won yesterday and everyone would still say "yeah but this isn't the playoffs and blah blah blah".

So in the grand scheme of things, what did yesterday's game really matter?

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
Just one game out of 82. Blues will need Lehtera and Shatty back (as well as keeping the other key players healthy) to make a run. The evolution of Tarasenko and Schwartz already make this team better than last year. Blues are playing for top seed, but as long as they are playing their best hockey at the playoffs I could care less about the regular season.

Mar 6, 2012
All probabilities lead to another first round matchup with Chicago this year.

Why should anyone feel any confidence in the Blues ability to win that series? You can look at any metric you want, any fancy stat, any feel good, "gee willikers, they may have lost, but they played so well, they could have won" metric you want, but the bottom line is that the best teams continually beat us in the only metric that really matters. Winning games.

I don't think I can handle another first round playoff exit. Especially to the Hawks. I've been a die-hard fan of this team for about 25 years now and I just can't take it any more. It's always the same story. The same excuses. The same exact script. It just wears you down.

I just want to se my team win. Just let them go deep in the playoffs or something. Anything. It just grinds you down. It's not fun anymore. I can't manage any optimism, because time and time again, feeling optimistic just makes the crash that much worse.

I think the biggest problem is this local narrative that this is an elite team. The Blues ARE NOT an elite team. I don't care that they've managed to string together a few good regular seasons. That doesn't matter for squat. Elite teams can win a few rounds in the playoffs. The Blues have won a single playoff round in the last, what, 13 years? That's not elite. That's not a cup contender.

If we stop pretending like this team is a top-tier team, maybe it won't be so shocking when they flame out in a sad little whimper yet again in the postseason... because we all know it's coming.

And that dagger to the heart once again will be coming from a bitter hated rival.

Also, I wonder if this team will ever get a "rival" that doesn't kick the poop out them 4 times out of 5 and win multiple cups as they stomp all over us along the way. It's getting old. The Hawks are our rival the same way your 8 year old brother is your rival when you're 13. He's an annoying little twerp. This rivalry is so one sided it's just pathetic. The Blues are nothing but a trivial stepping stone to the Hawks.

And before we were that to the Hawks, we were the same thing to the Red Wings. The Blues aren't rivals. They're the warmup for the real competition.

The Blues really are the Washington Generals of the Western Conference. They're like the 14th anonymous thug that Chuck Norris kills before he gets to the main bad guy. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get some sort of witty pun as were kicked off a cliff or whatever.

I know this rant just looks overly dramatic and goofy, but god, I'm just so sick of it. I just want to see them do well, and every year it's just the same. The bottom line is none of this really matters for squat until the post season, and no matter what happens, as a Blues fan, I've learned that you can never NEVER expect good things to happen in the postseason. This franchise just has the stink of failure all over it. Like a cloud of miserable doom and gloom.

Last edited:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i understand and agree with you ort. unfortunately, us realists are labeled as negative nancys here for not being optimistic about another clear sign of this team not taking the next step forward.

this team will not win a thing until they beat these teams on the road. you know it, i know it and the "positive fans" know it too, they just wont admit it for whatever reason

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
i understand and agree with you ort. unfortunately, us realists are labeled as negative nancys here for not being optimistic about another clear sign of this team not taking the next step forward.

this team will not win a thing until they beat these teams on the road. you know it, i know it and the "positive fans" know it too, they just wont admit it for whatever reason

Just...no.

I don't know how any of us can be labeled as positive, to be honest. :laugh:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Let me ask you all a question and answer it honestly, dont answer like a pure homer.

If you were a STL fan living in Chicago and living on a budget, would you rather spend the costly money of seeing the Blues or the Cardinals play there?

IMO you are crazy if you say the Blues, you know there is atleast a 95% chance of them losing. They only win in CHI in shootouts and they hardly ever even get to those in Chicago. I am a big blues fan but in no way would i ever waste my hard earned cash to watch the Blues play a game in Chicago, LA or Anaheim.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Let me ask you all a question and answer it honestly, dont answer like a pure homer.

If you were a STL fan living in Chicago and living on a budget, would you rather spend the costly money of seeing the Blues or the Cardinals play there?

IMO you are crazy if you say the Blues, you know there is atleast a 95% chance of them losing. They only win in CHI in shootouts and they hardly ever even get to those in Chicago. I am a big blues fan but in no way would i ever waste my hard earned cash to watch the Blues play a game in Chicago, LA or Anaheim.

Option C take ticket money, spend at Gino's East, watch both games on TV while devouring sausage and onion pie

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

You're comparing apples to oranges. The majority of us here are hockey fans through and through, so yes you should expect a lot of people to say they'd take the Blues tickets. It shouldn't be a surprise that hockey fans will want to watch hockey.

Regardless, our record on the road against the top teams is a concern, I'll admit. But some ere take that pessimism entirely too far. Nobody here knows how we will look in the playoffs, and frankly that's the only measuring stick that matters. For all we know this could be the year the Blues steamroll through the playoffs.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I'd still probably pick the Blues game because I like hockey more.

The one Blues-Hawks game I went to in Chicago, the Blues lost pretty easily. But I would definitely go again because it's a cool experience.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Well I do live in Chicago. I have been to more Cards v Cubs games because I can afford the cheap baseball tickets with significantly greater ease. People give out Cubs tickets like they are hot potatoes. Transportation to Wrigley is faster and cheaper for me which is a huge cost saver.

Plus, all the people that want to go to Blues games are Hawks fans and that boarder line ruins the experience. Hawks fans talk to no end. It's pretty annoying.

If I had more money and more Blues fans willing to go, Blues v Hawks quite easily despite the fact that Hawks fans are eleventy-billion times more annoying. No joke

Last edited:

timtindall

May 10, 2013
st. louis
I was thinking about this. Could be be psychological that they give us trouble? We are one of the best teams, but facing the West and Chicago it's like we go back to 2005. Could the playoffs be in the back of their minds? Also could the logo do it too? Even with the Predators and Blue Jackets. They can have the worst record and still give us grief.
It's like with the Cardinals and Cubs. Cubs have been terrible, but the series with the Cardinals are tough.
Maybe they need to pull a "Waterboy" and instead of seeing the Kings or Ducks as they are, just picture them with baby faces or dogs. It would be funny to see Reaves go up to Carter and pet him on the head and be like "Aw little puppy, you're so cute."
Seriously though, they need to get over what they have when they face those teams. Get mad, get bad. Go out and play harder.
What I realllllly hate is when playing vs Chicago we can be in their zone putting pressure and not score, then Chicago comes and scores like nothing. It takes the umph out of the team.

timtindall

May 10, 2013
st. louis

I lived in L.A. for a year. When the Blues and Cardinals came I went to the games. It's fun and I support my guys. I remember Tom Hanks was a few rows away from us and Sandra Bullock was there too at one of the Blues games, because we had seats on the ice by the Blues bench.
To me it was about seeing live games, seeing your team, win or lose and getting that little taste of home.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Not much discussion about how San Jose left this group of teams compared with last season. This year, the Blues have had their number pretty effectively. I think it has more to do with the timing of when the games occurred, and that last year's 'domination' wasn't as one-sided as the legend of those games was.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
LA's road record this year is 7-12-6. Against teams currently in playoff position (bolded) they are 2-8-2. Their season high road winning streak is two games.

Wins vs: TB, VAN, CLB, OTT, DAL, MIN, AZ

Losses vs: BOS, SJ, STL, MTL, DET, PIT, WAS, CGY, FLA, DAL, CAR, BUF

OT/SO Losses vs: NSH, ANA, PHI, TML, AZ, EDM

I can tell you for sure that LA fans are not feeling optimistic about their team's chances right now because they won it all last year. They aren't feeling optimistic about anything at all.

Mar 6, 2012
I think it's deeper than just the road losses. One thing I've noticed (and I'm not singling anyone out) I've noticed that many Blues fans have the mindset that every single game they play in should be a win by the Blues, and if they lose for any reason, it's because they made mental mistakes and didn't play up to their potential. In other words, the Blues should be going 82-0 every year and every loss is due to some sort of mental breakdown.

I don't know if this is something we do as Blues fans or if this is a common phenomenon.

Yes, the Blues are a good hockey team. They're been trending in the right direction for years and on paper seem like they are built to be a true cup contender. The problem is this. There are many other teams that fall into the same category. The Blues are not the best team in the West. They are going to lose games. Both squads on the ice can play a great game and they can still lose. It happens.

People also like to act like there is some sort of big trade or coaching technique that can suddenly turn them into a rampaging win machine. It's just not realistic.

I don't even think of myself as a realist. I'm more of a pessimist. I always expect the worst. It's been beaten into me through the years. I cannot let myself get too excited about anything, because it has always lead to disappointment.

I still watch every game on the edge of my seat. I still soak in every bit of news and live and die by the team. I'm a die hard fan. I love this team... I just, I dunno. I cannot let myself believe that they can do anything, because they never do. I've been down that road. I know how this story plays out.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think it's deeper than just the road losses. One thing I've noticed (and I'm not singling anyone out) I've noticed that many Blues fans have the mindset that every single game they play in should be a win by the Blues, and if they lose for any reason, it's because they made mental mistakes and didn't play up to their potential. In other words, the Blues should be going 82-0 every year and every loss is due to some sort of mental breakdown.

I don't know if this is something we do as Blues fans or if this is a common phenomenon.

Yes, the Blues are a good hockey team. They're been trending in the right direction for years and on paper seem like they are built to be a true cup contender. The problem is this. There are many other teams that fall into the same category. The Blues are not the best team in the West. They are going to lose games. Both squads on the ice can play a great game and they can still lose. It happens.

People also like to act like there is some sort of big trade or coaching technique that can suddenly turn them into a rampaging win machine. It's just not realistic.

I don't even think of myself as a realist. I'm more of a pessimist. I always expect the worst. It's been beaten into me through the years. I cannot let myself get too excited about anything, because it has always lead to disappointment.

I still watch every game on the edge of my seat. I still soak in every bit of news and live and die by the team. I'm a die hard fan. I love this team... I just, I dunno. I cannot let myself believe that they can do anything, because they never do. I've been down that road. I know how this story plays out.
I think there is a difference between a) expecting to win every game and laying blame when we lose; and b)realizing that you're not going 82-0 but openly discussing the things that caused you to lose the games you do lose.

Personally, I find it relatively easy to tell Group A from Group B. Unreasonable expectations (winning them all) are usually accompanied by unreasonable explanations (Hitch is an awful coach, Player X sucks) and unreasonable observations (the officials are always against us).

Mar 6, 2012
I think there is a difference between a) expecting to win every game and laying blame when we lose; and b)realizing that you're not going 82-0 but openly discussing the things that caused you to lose the games you do lose.

Personally, I find it relatively easy to tell Group A from Group B. Unreasonable expectations (winning them all) are usually accompanied by unreasonable explanations (Hitch is an awful coach, Player X sucks) and unreasonable observations (the officials are always against us).

(We need to acquire a goaltender who never gives up any goals.)

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
So does this count on your chart, as a road win against a top team in the entire league.

I would think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad