Road regulation stats vs Chi, LA, Anaheim

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
As a reference, here's the guys in our lineup who played a full season for that 2011-2012 Blues team.

Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Jackman
Backes
Oshie
Berglund

Reaves (60 games), Porter (47 games), Steen (43 games), Elliott (38 games), Cole (26 games), and Schwartz (7 games) also appeared for some length of time.

I continue to fail to see how something that a vastly different team did years ago is somehow predictive of what this team will do this year.

Chippewa

Feb 19, 2012
houseboat, venezuela
Kings (0-1) SOL
Ducks (0-3) L
Hawks (1-4) L
Kings (4-6) L
Sharks (2-3) OTL

Seems to me the team from 2 years ago and from last year is being a (so far) very good predictor of what we will do on the road. :laugh:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Kings (0-1) SOL
Ducks (0-3) L
Hawks (1-4) L
Kings (4-6) L
Sharks (2-3) OTL

Seems to me the team from 2 years ago and from last year is being a (so far) very good predictor of what we will do on the road. :laugh:

If you look at points maybe. But if you look at how competitive the team has been on the ice, to my view they outplayed the Kings the majority of both road games, and played well enough to win the San Jose game without a last 20 second let down.

Last couple seasons the team would look outclassed. That most definitely isn't the case now.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If you look at points maybe. But if you look at how competitive the team has been on the ice, to my view they outplayed the Kings the majority of both road games, and played well enough to win the San Jose game without a last 20 second let down.

Last couple seasons the team would look outclassed. That most definitely isn't the case now.

My thoughts as well. We may not have snapped the losing streaks, but we've played significantly better hockey. We've also shown some pretty obvious growth in terms of not letting the Kings bully us.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The kings had so many bounces go their way in their comeback, it was just ridiculous. They still earned that win, but by no means did they dominate the game. I still would wager that if Allen or Elliott was in, we would have won that game. Marty's desire for that highlight save burned him a few times. If our D get their act together, we're in a much better position to win.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The kings had so many bounces go their way in their comeback, it was just ridiculous. They still earned that win, but by no means did they dominate the game. I still would wager that if Allen or Elliott was in, we would have won that game. Marty's desire for that highlight save burned him a few times. If our D get their act together, we're in a much better position to win.

Which is precisely why I'm not freaking out over the results so far this year. Our defense has struggled, but we know they can and will be better. Pietrangelo especially is entirely too talented to play this poorly all year. When he and Bouwmeester get back to their normal levels of play, I bet we start seeing this team steamroll people.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Which is precisely why I'm not freaking out over the results so far this year. Our defense has struggled, but we know they can and will be better. Pietrangelo especially is entirely too talented to play this poorly all year. When he and Bouwmeester get back to their normal levels of play, I bet we start seeing this team steamroll people.
Exactly, last year the team was rolling hard early...PP and PK were ungodly in the early stages and failed towards the end with no evidence of evolving. Now we started out bad and we're seeing the new system evolve and adapt, and it's starting to score on good teams, not just artificially propped up by crap teams.

Last year they destroyed the teams they were suppose too, overkill usually, and high tempo play. But were just downright outplayed by the top teams, this year, yea they still havnt beaten them in their barn but by no means outplayed to the point of hopelessness. The ducks game was bad but that was the start of the plague.

We will not see a shake up during the season, no big named player is going to be moved unless it's a clear upgrade, and that's not going to happen since no clear upgrades are available without a big painful overpayment. It's just not going to happen. Outside of a lower level trade, I'm comfortable with the team the way it is.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
IMO we allowed LA and San Jose to win those games. In the past, they would have just killed us.

So I place the blame on us for lose whereas before it would be the Cali teams just manhandling us.

I see progress despite the result and I'd love to have another shot at the Kings.

RR10*

1-4-2 on the road against the top 8. The win came against Winnipeg.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
1-4-2 on the road against the top 8. The win came against Winnipeg.

A wee bit better concentration and we'd see 3-3-1, which is a decent number against good competition on the road. They're passing the eye test as having elevated their level of play against the best teams. They have not yet become a consistently dominant team who can carry through that elevated play into wins all the time.

There is something to be said for the tempo of the season and peaking at the right time. I know its overstated, but the teams that play best in the post-season usually have a degree of desperation in their game. Its hard to get that way until you've had some adversity. I would argue that Chicago, LAK and San Jose have all had alarming stretches where they were losing most of their games for a couple weeks, got refocused, and are playing much better. It wasn't long ago San Jose looked doubtful for the playoffs, and now they look like maybe the best team in that division.

The Blues haven't had that moment yet. Maybe theirs won't be quite as dramatic. But I think to reach the next level of play they will have to go through something similar.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
IMO we allowed LA and San Jose to win those games. In the past, they would have just killed us.

So I place the blame on us for lose whereas before it would be the Cali teams just manhandling us.

I see progress despite the result and I'd love to have another shot at the Kings.
Please.

It's not progress at all. On March 5, 2013 the Blues had a 3-goal lead in Staples - I believe heading into the 3rd period. Everyone should remember this game as they lost in embarrassing fashion.

I know people think that we've just been dominated in every game in the past but that's actually not true.

Nothing has changed. They're still losing. I'm not buying that we just "allowed the other teams to win." That's impossible when the other teams consistently beat you. That means they're just better head to head. The Blues didn't allow anything. That's giving the Blues way too much credit. They're just not good enough to win against good teams on the road, as they have showed time and time again.

Not sure how anyone can be satisfied with the same old stuff.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
LA usually has regular season scoring droughts, if you give up 6 goals in half a game you just plain played like ****. This team doesn't intimidate anyone, and that matters so much more than this "will to win" crap coaches think is gonna help.

Guys like Kane and Doughty get open space with the puck because people are just flat out afraid of them. They'd rather wait and see what those elite players are going to do and react than try to outplay them and get burned. Hard to say which is wiser, but you can't let them control the game, they want and need to do that and will take advantage 100% of the time.

Before Tarasenko, not one player on the Blues commanded that kind of respect. No one was a permanent threat, a constant reminder that you have to play your hardest from start to finish, no one made sure you regret a mistake. Guys like Backes are awesome to watch, but face it the guys not a 30 goal scorer when he's not given every last opportunity possible. Kane gets that just by playing enough games. Doughty and Kane / Toews win games by themselves, Quick or Keith erase penalties by themselves.

St. Louis doesn't have that in Pietro he's always one or the other and very rarely is he the offensive game breaker. Bouwmeester has never been that guy and never will so our top pairing doesn't have that extra gear we lose to. Our top line can't even hit the net for an entire game some nights and our second line has carried us through more wins this season than anyone would have expected. Our "best" players shouldn't be on a monthly basis it should be obvious from day 1 until the draft, at least on a Contender.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The record is stark, and to me, clearly on the shoulders of management and coaching.

Seriously, step back and think about it. Not one regulation win in all those tries. There isn't a talent gap between any team in the NHL that would realistically cause a record like that.

We're going absolutely nowhere in the playoffs until this is remedied.

Those three teams are better than we are. But you are ignoring the competitive aspect of the games. We aren't getting blown out by these teams. We have been tied going into the third period (or ahead) in several of the games. A couple of player additions could make a big difference.

If we get Gunnarsson, Schwartz and Elliott in the lineup, it will make a big difference. If Jaskin comes through (and if that helps Stastny be more effective), that will make a big difference.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
stats since our last regulation wins vs these teams on the road

LA:
2010-11 season: Thu Mar 17 2011 at LA St Louis 4, Los Angeles 0
2011-12 season: Tue Oct 18 2011 at LA Los Angeles 5, St Louis 0
2011-12 season: Thu Mar 22 2012 at LA Los Angeles 1, St Louis 0 (SO)
2011-12 season: Thu May 3 2012 at LA Los Angeles 4, St Louis 2 WsmiG3 LA 3-0
2011-12 season: Sun May 6 2012 at LA Los Angeles 3, St Louis 1 WsmiG4 LA 4-0
2012-13 season: Tue Mar 5 2013 at LA Los Angeles 6, St Louis 4
2012-13 season: Sat May 4 2013 at LA Los Angeles 1, St Louis 0 WquaG3 StL 2-1
2012-13 season: Mon May 6 2013 at LA Los Angeles 4, St Louis 3 WquaG4 tie 2-2
2012-13 season: Fri May 10 2013 at LA Los Angeles 2, St Louis 1 WquaG6 LA 4-2
2013-14 season: Mon Dec 2 2013 at LA Los Angeles 3, St Louis 2
2014-15 season: Thu Oct 16 2014 at LA Los Angeles 1, St Louis 0 (SO)
2014-15 season: Thu Dec 18 2014 at LA Los Angeles 6, St Louis 4

ANA:
2009-10 season: Sat Oct 17 2009 at Ana St Louis 5, Anaheim 0
2009-10 season: Thu Jan 7 2010 at Ana Anaheim 4, St Louis 2
2010-11 season: Wed Jan 12 2011 at Ana Anaheim 7, St Louis 4
2010-11 season: Wed Mar 16 2011 at Ana Anaheim 2, St Louis 1
2011-12 season: Sun Oct 16 2011 at Ana Anaheim 4, St Louis 2
2011-12 season: Wed Mar 21 2012 at Ana Anaheim 4, St Louis 3
2012-13 season: Sun Mar 10 2013 at Ana Anaheim 4, St Louis 2
2013-14 season: Fri Feb 28 2014 at Ana Anaheim 1, St Louis 0
2014-15 season: Sun Oct 19 2014 at Ana Anaheim 3, St Louis 0

CHI:
2009-10 season: Wed Feb 3 2010 at Chi St Louis 3, Chicago 2
2009-10 season: Wed Apr 7 2010 at Chi Chicago 6, St Louis 5
2010-11 season: Mon Oct 18 2010 at Chi Chicago 3, St Louis 2 (OT)
2010-11 season: Tue Nov 30 2010 at Chi Chicago 7, St Louis 5
2010-11 season: Wed Apr 6 2011 at Chi Chicago 4, St Louis 3 (OT)
2011-12 season: Sun Feb 19 2012 at Chi Chicago 3, St Louis 1
2011-12 season: Tue Mar 13 2012 at Chi Chicago 4, St Louis 3 (SO)
2011-12 season: Thu Mar 29 2012 at Chi Chicago 4, St Louis 3 (SO)
2012-13 season: Tue Jan 22 2013 at Chi Chicago 3, St Louis 2
2012-13 season: Thu Apr 4 2013 at Chi St Louis 4, Chicago 3 (SO)
2013-14 season: Thu Oct 17 2013 at Chi St Louis 3, Chicago 2 (SO)
2013-14 season: Wed Mar 19 2014 at Chi Chicago 4, St Louis 0
2013-14 season: Sun Apr 6 2014 at Chi Chicago 4, St Louis 2
2013-14 season: Mon Apr 21 2014 at Chi Chicago 2, St Louis 0 E1stG3 StL 2-1
2013-14 season: Wed Apr 23 2014 at Chi Chicago 4, St Louis 3 (OT) E1stG4 tie 2-2
2013-14 season: Sun Apr 27 2014 at Chi Chicago 5, St Louis 1 E1stG6 Chi 4-2
2014-15 season: Wed Dec 3 2014 at Chi Chicago 4, St Louis 1

Last edited:

byfuglien

Mar 23, 2014
Europe
How are we ever supposed to win a series against teams we just cannot beat away from home? We have been 2-0 up after Ws in Scottrade twice and still lost out.

Depressing. As a european and not a local fan i often theese days catch my self wondering just how in the name of **** i became a STL supporter in the first place :laugh:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Those three teams are better than we are. But you are ignoring the competitive aspect of the games. We aren't getting blown out by these teams. We have been tied going into the third period (or ahead) in several of the games. A couple of player additions could make a big difference.

If we get Gunnarsson, Schwartz and Elliott in the lineup, it will make a big difference. If Jaskin comes through (and if that helps Stastny be more effective), that will make a big difference.

Ordinarily, I would have thought so. But, this season, I think there is more wrong with this team.

It's clear that The Blues' players don't believe in Hitch's system anymore. The forwards believe their scoring is down because of it, and that it "tires them out". And they see that The Blues can't beat the best teams while using it. So they have given up being disciplined, and just going through the motions. That's why they are losing so many games and not even dominating the weak teams this season, unlike last season. There are very few games in which they have the "jump in their legs that they had last year. You can tell they are not trying nearly as hard in most games, unlike they did in most games last season.

Their team defence is terrible. The forwards are not making much effort to get back, so the backchecking is weak, and sometimes nonexistent. They allow opponents free entry into their zone. They don't skate full out in races to the puck. They COULDN'T ALL have lost so much speed over one off season. They are playing with little or no energy, unlike last season.

When do you ever hear a public statement like Stastny's saying that "he is having trouble adjusting to Hitch's system, which is limiting his offensive production"? That kind of thinking is usually kept inside the team and coach - not told to the public. Clearly, there is a rift between Hitch and the team. They don't believe in his system, and don't have confidence they can win. You can see it in the way they play. It's totally different from last season, even with more talent now. Hockey is a game dependent on emotion. It's very hard to win when you don't want to split a gut to win for your coach just as you do for your teammates. There seems to be a rift, and it's NOT going to be fixed by a trade, alone.

I think, unfortunately, that Hitch has to go, because he's not going to throw out his system in mid season, and tell his players he'll work together with them to get the team back on the winning track. I don't think that Muller taking over in mid-season will help. A "fleecing" trade might help a little bit. But, I don't see this team getting by both Nashville AND Chicago in the playoffs. They might win one series.

I wonder how the playing 110% every regular season game and being exhausted and getting lots of injuries down the stretch plays in the backs of the players' and coaches' minds. Is this half-hearted playing the result of trying to "take it easy and coast through the regular season" a result of that, and carrying out a strategy? If so, they need to stop it.

As a former player in organised hockey, I can't imagine how players can play league games and not play hard, trying to win each game. How would anyone do that??? You have to play all out and hope that you have enough left at playoff time.

The only way to try to avoid the tiredness and injury is for the coach to sit out players one at a time, to rest them. With such a deep roster, that should be no problem, and actually help the team by giving more playing time to bench players, so they are not rusty when needed.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that we've seen the pinnacle of this roster's play, and a major shake-up. including a new coach AND a major trade or two must come, or this season will be either the same as last, or worse.

And you all know that I'm usually optimistic.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
God I love these threads, anyone else just really love these? Nothing like opportunist posters being able to further their negative agenda, then to just disappear and wait for their next opportunity.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Just ignore them. Their purpose is obvious, purely looking to get a rise out of people.

Chippewa

Feb 19, 2012
houseboat, venezuela
I'm not looking to get a rise, and I've been here (sporadically) during good streaks as well.

It's that our record on the road pretty much speaks for itself. We simply will not win a playoff series against one of these teams until we can beat them in their building. Not when we can barely manage 50/50 at home versus them anyway.

It doesnt make me happy at all. Quite the opposite. I'm sick and tired of this coaching staff and the stale, predictable, easily shutdown decisions they make. A 13 game point streak? Why should I care, when we've done this season in and season out, with the same pathetic results at the end?

We lost to Chicago today in much the same fashion as we lost to them in the playoffs. Bonehead, stupid mistakes at terrible points in the game. Lily soft defense that gives opposing skaters an incredible amount of leeway before doing anything about them. An offensive gameplan that our coaching staff has no clue on.

If that labels me a troll, fine. I'll take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad