Road regulation stats vs Chi, LA, Anaheim

RR10*

I knew it was bad but wow...0-21-7...not a single regulation win on the road against these teams in 28 games.

11/12

LA: loss, OT, L, L
Chicago: L, OT, OT
Anaheim: L, L

= 0-6-3

12/13

LA: L, L, L, L
Chicago: L, OT
Anaheim: L

= 0-6-1

13/14

LA: L
Chicago: OT, L, L, L, OT, L

= 0-6-2

14/15

LA: OT, L
Chicago: L

= 0-3-1

Nothing to worry about...

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think he's counting OT wins as "OT" regardless of the post-regulation result (which I agree with).

I remember a multi-goal win in LA last season when Quick was out. Did I dream that game?

Chippewa

Feb 19, 2012
houseboat, venezuela
The record is stark, and to me, clearly on the shoulders of management and coaching.

Seriously, step back and think about it. Not one regulation win in all those tries. There isn't a talent gap between any team in the NHL that would realistically cause a record like that.

We're going absolutely nowhere in the playoffs until this is remedied.

Lakewood

Nov 17, 2013
II've watched all those regulation non wins. It's almost as if games we get up for, have an inverse result.

We have more scoring now, an an injured goalie, so maybe we can improve that sample.

Instead of making changes to what the other team is doing, we sometimes try to up the intensity. When that doesn't work, and all the board battles just lead to missed shots from the point we just get tired and that's that.

Maybe we need to play in the "red line" "stop on pucks". "Outwork" " play chaotic haha" "north south"

What's weird is that in the last 3 years we come out of the gate playing out of our zone so well and our puck possession is really good especially against teams that don't play big boy hockey, and then we sort of just, well...don't improve. Every team has injuries. The way we finished last year was a concession. The guys and coaches owed it to the owners to not crash and end up w chi in the first round.

This year when we are trying to get out of our end I'm on pins and needles. A little bit of that is missing sobotka, but not the whole problem. What gives?
Always a fan, appreciate the winning record... But our mission statements are starting to read like a diary of a wimpy kid.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I really do think a large part of why the Blues fail against Chicago and LA on the road is simply due to mental issues.

When Lapierre hosed that play at the end of the first and the Kings scored you could just see the entire team deflate. I knew, then and there, the Blues were going to collapse.
It's a mental block or something, but the team isn't going to win at either location until they get over that issue. Same thing with Vancouver...the Blues are a level above the Canucks but they continuously play below their capability. Anaheim they'll beat at some point, this past one was a fluke more than anything else.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
This year when we are trying to get out of our end I'm on pins and needles. A little bit of that is missing sobotka, but not the whole problem. What gives?

Part of it is that the Blues offensive players are trying to fly the zone as soon as the puck transitions to a defenseman (or deep forward, whatever) in hopes of a break. That's part of why you're seeing so many stupid giveaways, the defense is trying to always move the puck vertically whereas last year there was typically at least one forward staying near the blue line as an outlet.

Also Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester have been...less than optimal quite a bit.
Shattenkirk is more of a gambler, Jackman has degraded a bit, Gunnarsson was still working his way back into game form, Cole is inconsistent, etc. etc.

A team in transition and one that is not quite playing a style that Hitchcock is comfortable with. His usual mantra of "play harder" really doesn't work as well for a team configured the way the Blues are right now.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Also:

I think a large part of the issue is due to not enough drinking by the Blues younger players. Oshie set the bar pretty high and the rest of the team just isn't picking up the slack.

Blues need a guy like vintage Brett Hull (not the current one, he's too old) who could singlehandedly carry an entire team's partying when needed. The Blues are really lacking that guy right now.
Army may need to convince Radulov to sign here.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Pretty simple explanation....those teams' top-end forward talent has been better than ours in the past 4 years. Getzlaf, Perry, Kopitar, Carter, Kane, Toews, etc are simply better players than anyone iced by the Blues.

That gap may be closing with the emergence of Tank and Schwartz and the addition of Stastny. The Blues are starting to close the gap a bit but we probably need one-two more pieces.

Another notable gap vis a vis LA and Chicago is that Doughty and Keith probably are at least a bit better than Petro but one might argue this point. The gap in the talent at forward in not debatable.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Pretty simple explanation....those teams' top-end forward talent has been better than ours in the past 4 years. Getzlaf, Perry, Kopitar, Carter, Kane, Toews, etc are simply better players than anyone iced by the Blues.

That gap may be closing with the emergence of Tank and Schwartz and the addition of Stastny. The Blues are starting to close the gap a bit but we probably need one-two more pieces.

Another notable gap vis a vis LA and Chicago is that Doughty and Keith probably are at least a bit better than Petro but one might argue this point. The gap in the talent at forward in not debatable.

Agree and the difference between Doughty/Keith and Petro is there offensive acumen. Doughty in particular can skate the puck into the zone and score like a forward. He's an enormous thread to shoot from all areas. Those guys are just a bit more dynamic with the puck.

Beyond that, Muzzin/Seabrook are both more offensive minded than Bouwmeester and better shooters. We have, imo, one clear advantage: Shattenkirk. The way he's playing will be tough for teams, even CHI and LAK, to answer. None of these teams have that kind of firepower on their second pairings.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Pretty alarming stat. And in many of those games the Blues barely even looked competitive.

RR10*

I think we have a pretty good chance to turn it around with some smart moves. I feel we have a good forward depth but lack elite talent and winners. We can afford to trade two top 9 forwards for an upgraded top 6 forward. We will have more high-end talent and still be deep. I don't know why we are trying to run three good scoring lines, keep it at two leading lines with a decent third and a grinding fourth. That's how the best teams in the league are built: Chicago, LA, Boston, Anaheim etc. With Tarasenkos new contract upcoming we will still have to cut the depth.

I'm not happy with our soft defense either. We have to change that with trades or whatever and become tougher and more consistent.

With that said, we need to make changes on both ends and as well a new coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Agree and the difference between Doughty/Keith and Petro is there offensive acumen. Doughty in particular can skate the puck into the zone and score like a forward. He's an enormous thread to shoot from all areas. Those guys are just a bit more dynamic with the puck.

Beyond that, Muzzin/Seabrook are both more offensive minded than Bouwmeester and better shooters. We have, imo, one clear advantage: Shattenkirk. The way he's playing will be tough for teams, even CHI and LAK, to answer. None of these teams have that kind of firepower on their second pairings.

Shatty, IMO, is equal or better than Petro at this point. He certainly is improving at a faster rate.

Concerning management and coaching, I also think both LA and Chicago are better coached in the playoffs than the Blues. I don't have a lot of confidence that Hitch is going to pull the wool over the eyes of a coach like Coach Q or Sutter in the PO's. I do however like Armstrong although he seems to make one questionable move for every two good moves (not such a bad ratio in the overall scheme).

The Blues might need to move at least one if not a few of the so-called "fan favorites" in order to get the pieces to go toe to toe with LA and Chicago.

Still, we have had more than one pleasant surprise this year. I feel that ownership really is committed to doing everything within reason to compete for a SC.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Shatty, IMO, is equal or better than Petro at this point. He certainly is improving at a faster rate.

Concerning management and coaching, I also think both LA and Chicago are better coached in the playoffs than the Blues. I don't have a lot of confidence that Hitch is going to pull the wool over the eyes of a coach like Coach Q or Sutter in the PO's. I do however like Armstrong although he seems to make one questionable move for every two good moves (not such a bad ratio in the overall scheme).

The Blues might need to move at least one if not a few of the so-called "fan favorites" in order to get the pieces to go toe to toe with LA and Chicago.

Still, we have had more than one pleasant surprise this year. I feel that ownership really is committed to doing everything within reason to compete for a SC.
Well sounds like they should have never fired Q.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad