Road regulation stats vs Chi, LA, Anaheim

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
read topic name, see if it applys to the team they played tonight.

It's nitpicking, TB is one of the best teams in the league and they beat them on the road. Hell they swept them this year, it should count towards "road reg stats." And it wasn't a nail biter one goal game either, they pulled away, against one of the best teams in the whole league.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Eastern Conference doesn't even match up to the West.

It's a nice win but yeah it's pretty irrelevant to the thread given that we won't see Tampa unless we both make it to the Cup.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
TB is a better team than LA right now, and we aren't likely to see either in the playoffs at this point. Seems like a pretty artificial exclusion to me.
Against the Blues, you honestly think Tampa Bay is a tougher opponent than LA? Not counting anything else, I think it's clear which team gives us/would give us more problems. And with their past, why do people still judge LA by their regular season record? It means very little considering once the playoffs start they are one of the most dominant teams in the NHL (if not the very best). Yes at this point still more dominant than Tampa Bay until Tampa proves otherwise. They've done this before. They won a cup a couple years ago in this exact same spot. They are still good.

I also love how they are getting written off so easily. They are only 3 points behind Calgary with a game in hand and 4 points behind SJ with two games in hand. And that's with 28 games left. But okay sure, just count them out of the playoffs, which is just wishful thinking in my opinion.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Against the Blues, you honestly think Tampa Bay is a tougher opponent than LA? Not counting anything else, I think it's clear which team gives us/would give us more problems. And with their past, why do people still judge LA by their regular season record? It means very little considering once the playoffs start they are one of the most dominant teams in the NHL (if not the very best). Yes at this point still more dominant than Tampa Bay until Tampa proves otherwise. They've done this before. They won a cup a couple years ago in this exact same spot. They are still good.

I also love how they are getting written off so easily. They are only 3 points behind Calgary with a game in hand and 4 points behind SJ with two games in hand. And that's with 28 games left. But okay sure, just count them out of the playoffs, which is just wishful thinking in my opinion.
Saying it isn't likely that the Blues will meet LA in the playoffs isn't the same as saying LA won't make the playoffs. LA needs to make the playoffs first, then both the Blues and LA would need to survive whatever matchups they have until they happen to meet. Seems unlikely to me. If you disagree, that's fine. I don't care to argue semantics.

I've already stated that I'm not afraid of LA this year. They haven't shown much of anything at all so far. Certainly not any consistency, any sustained success on the road, or any real stretches of dominant play. I supervise their forum, so I watch a lot of their games. I've not been impressed.

Last year when the won the Cup, they finished 10th overall in points, and 7th in goal differential. In 2012 they were 13th and 11th, respectively. This year they're currently 18th and 16th. (The Blues are 3rd and 1st.) Last year LA was 3rd in ES goal differential. This year they are tied for 10th. (Blues are 2nd.) It's not a fluke that LA is on the fringe for a playoff spot...that's exactly what their level of play has warranted.

Teams can't just magically flip a switch when the playoffs start and become some sort of unstoppable juggernaut. The league is too demanding, and the quality of competition is too high. You need to be playing well when the playoffs start, or you won't be playing for long.

If LA turns it around with 15 games left and enters the playoffs on a tear, then that's one thing...but they haven't done that yet, and they've done nothing this year to suggest that they will. Doing it three years ago doesn't mean it will happen again. Last year they played better pretty much the entire season. This year they've lost Voynov, waived Richards, and Quick has the SV% of a backup goaltender (.908). Things change fast in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad