RNH vs. Hyman

RNH vs. Hyman

• Total voters

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
As we all know, putting up points is all that matters.

The NHL is now a fantasy league. PKing, hitting, forechecking, backchecking, defensive positioning, winning puck battles don't matter. The funniest part is the offensive comparison, Hyman has 25 points in 36 games to RNH 28 points in 38 games. That's probably the only area RNH has an edge in, if you can call it that, and even then it's almost damn near identical production. And for the 'He plays with Matthews/Marner !" He played a shit ton of games on the 3/4th line and he makes the top line better.

RNH was drafted higher and outproduced him in previous years, at this stage in their career it's Hyman rather easily. Produces similar offensive numbers while being significantly better all around. Like I said earlier in the thread, gimmie the elite PKer/Forechecking, he makes so many plays and wins so many puck battles to create chances it's insane. Again last night, beats two flames on the boards for the puck battle setting up Matthews goal, if he doesn't win that battle that goal never happens. Extremely under rated by the casual hockey fans, it's way more than just points.

Reactions: authentic

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room
Its a tie for how overrated each players defensive game is.

I keep hearing about how both are good defensive forwards, and there underlying defensive metrics say otherwise.
they dont bleed scoring chances. but they sure as heck aint shutting them down.

Hyman has been better this season, but taking into multiple seasons.
neither are great

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
RNH is the most vanilla person to have ever played the game. He's just, like, there. He never stands out in any single aspect. He just exists.

Taking into account contract, style of play, impact on games, pking ability, grittiness and relentlessness, all of which heavily favors Hyman, and the considering who they play for, RNH should win this poll in an absolute landslide.
There’s been times when his playmaking and excelleration have stood out. But overall I agree, if the leafs had to swap Hyman for RNH it would be terrible for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The NHL is now a fantasy league. PKing, hitting, forechecking, backchecking, defensive positioning, winning puck battles don't matter. The funniest part is the offensive comparison, Hyman has 25 points in 36 games to RNH 28 points in 38 games. That's probably the only area RNH has an edge in, if you can call it that, and even then it's almost damn near identical production. And for the 'He plays with Matthews/Marner !" He played a shit ton of games on the 3/4th line and he makes the top line better.

RNH was drafted higher and outproduced him in previous years, at this stage in their career it's Hyman rather easily. Produces similar offensive numbers while being significantly better all around. Like I said earlier in the thread, gimmie the elite PKer/Forechecking, he makes so many plays and wins so many puck battles to create chances it's insane. Again last night, beats two flames on the boards for the puck battle setting up Matthews goal, if he doesn't win that battle that goal never happens. Extremely under rated by the casual hockey fans, it's way more than just points.

Well, that and for one RNH is far more skilled with the puck on his stick but let’s just ignore that.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Well, that and for one RNH is far more skilled with the puck on his stick but let’s just ignore that.

Certainly more skilled with the puck on his stick, no argument there, however that's not really translating to any significant margin of impact over Hyman this year.

Certainly not at ES, where he's struggled, especially since being moved away from McDrai.

Over 57% of RNH's production has come on the PP this year, (16% for Hyman).

For me, Hyman just impacts the game in more ways than RNH does currently.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Its a tie for how overrated each players defensive game is.

I keep hearing about how both are good defensive forwards, and there underlying defensive metrics say otherwise.
they dont bleed scoring chances. but they sure as heck aint shutting them down.

Hyman has been better this season, but taking into multiple seasons.
neither are great

I've never seen Hyman as great defensively. He's reliable enough in his own zone. Where he thrives is as a forechecker in the offensive zone. But strictly in terms of defending in the defensive zone, I don't think he's more than around average.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Its funny so many think this is about points and almost no one thinks role on team is a factor.

Who do the Leafs need more? Hyman.
Any team weak on offense would favor RNH

A team like Tampa though might find Hyman more useful.

This is not a vs poll. Its a which would your team take. Price matters to some.

Funny how people have turned this into an unrelated topic.

My team picks Hyman.

Hyman is just the flat out better player. People don't seem to really have a clue how good he is if they think RNH is better.

Reactions: Future

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Every single team in the NHL would be a better team with Hyman.
This doesn’t really prove anything. All that means is that Hyman is better than every teams worst player. Of course he is. So is RNH though.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Certainly more skilled with the puck on his stick, no argument there, however that's not really translating to any significant margin of impact over Hyman this year.

Certainly not at ES, where he's struggled, especially since being moved away from McDrai.

Over 57% of RNH's production has come on the PP this year, (16% for Hyman).

For me, Hyman just impacts the game in more ways than RNH does currently.
And 5 on 5 who does Hyman play with compared to who RNH play with.
RNH easily.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Because Hyman has been the better player for several years now and is simply far more valuable to any team out there?

Depends what you consider valuable. For the Leafs there's no question, Hyman all day every day, probably the Oilers too. But anyone who has their own high energy puckhound but lacks in scoring may value someone who puts up more points.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Another consideration is the absurd PDO heater Hyman has been on. 105.6% with an OIS% of 12.1%. Hes clearly been getting lucky this year inflating his 5v5 numbers beyond what should be expected moving forward. On the other hand Nuge has a 98.4% PDO with an OIS% of 9.0%. His numbers are lower than you would expect in the future. Nuge is far an away the better player. He's not flashy with the puck, hes not elite at any one thing (besides the PP), but hes good at every thing (minus board battles and face offs). But yeah Hyman is better and deserves to be an olympian (on team Canada FFS) because he skates hard...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dache

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He has played the by far the largest chunk with Marner and Matthews, come on now.
And? You do realize I was responding to someone posting like Hyman is worse then RNH because he plays with Matthews and Marner. When and this right here is facts, RNH is rarely if ever on the ice when without one of Drai or McDavid along with him and Hyman plays on his own line more often and produces at a far higher rate at 5v5. RNH feasts on PP points though. If someone wants to think RNH is better cool, that is a defensible opinion even if I don't agree with it. Trying to say that the reason RNH is better then Hyman is the quality of linemates though? Hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad