RNH vs. Hyman

RNH vs. Hyman

• Total voters

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Call me crazy, but if I had to make a roster to win the cup this year out of players from that 2011 draft, I'm not sure RNH even makes my team.
I agree with what your saying think he could be the 3C by name and production value but is his game suited to play 13-15 mins getting tough assignments and heavy d-zone usage with little PP time? I think he has been deployed in defensive situations on the oilers but they've faired pretty trash as a whole team so I don't know the extent to his defensive abilities if he were fully committed to that role.

This is my 2011 cup contender (IMO taking 2011 draft and ignoring cap makes them the heavy heavy cup favorite to the point I could see them winning in less than 20 games, but things like actual chemistry and players buying into their roles and usage along with coaching could make that claim exaggerated)

Forward
Huberdeau- Schiefele - Kucherov
Landeskog - Couterier/Zibanejad - Gaudreau (shifted to RW)
Strome - Trochek - Zibinajad/ Couterier (shifted to wing)
Palat - Pageau - JT Miller

Scratch: RNH Danult, Rakell, Karlsson, at forwards

Defense
Brodin - Hamilton
Klefbom - Mayfield
Murphy - Manson

Scratch: Oleksiak, Demelo, Edmunson, Mike Reilly

Goalies

Gibson
Binnington
Brossoit

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You have to think, when people are saying neither for RNH vs. PLD or Monahan.
He's not a needle mover, a lesser #1 pick.

Zach just does a lot more-not just pucks in the net.
Are you saying Hyman > PLD or Monohan?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I am saying Hyman > RNH.

RNH is a bust. Straight up.
So Hyman > RNH based on the fact that RNH is losing polls to PLD and Monohan? But you’re not saying Hyman is better than those 2? Also I’m not convinced you know what a bust is. Has he lived up to draft hype, no but he’s still a very useful NHL player and that’s not a bust

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
I think hyman is better with a good line. But RNH is better on a crappy line. If RNH was playing same position on the leafs, he'd be doing much better. Like wise I don't think we'd even be talking about hyman if he were in EDM.

Reactions: TS Quint

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Hyman is older. Yet he has 176 career points to 470 for RNH
Hyman's career high in points is 41 points. RNH has passed that total in 7 of 9 seasons played so far. In the 2 seasons he didn't surpass that it's because he played 40 and 55 games (but was pacing both times for well above 41 points in 82 games).

Hyman seems to be having a decent season. If you want to say "this season only, Hyman has been better" - there's certainly room for that. But based on consistency, talent and track record - i'll need more than a ~30 game sample size to take him above RNH.

This surprises a lot of people but over the last 3 seasons, Hyman has the 16th best goals per game played of all Canadian forwards. It's just one aspect but Hyman does a lot of other things very well too. He gets underrated a lot. He's grown tremendously since he started. I'd kill to have one of him for each line.

I think if I was looking for points, I would take RNH but if I was looking to win, I'd take Hyman.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I think hyman is better with a good line. But RNH is better on a crappy line. If RNH was playing same position on the leafs, he'd be doing much better. Like wise I don't think we'd even be talking about hyman if he were in EDM.

One of the biggest things you can say about Hyman is whatever line he plays on drastically improves. He's just one of those guys.

Mar 26, 2010
So Hyman > RNH based on the fact that RNH is losing polls to PLD and Monohan? But you’re not saying Hyman is better than those 2? Also I’m not convinced you know what a bust is. Has he lived up to draft hype, no but he’s still a very useful NHL player and that’s not a bust
He has not lived up to his draft hype. Not even close. Has nothing to do with any poll on here lol. Basing it off performance.

I take Hyman over Monohan. PLD is debatable depending on the type of player you need.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
He has not lived up to his draft hype. Not even close. Has nothing to do with any poll on here lol. Basing it off performance.

I take Hyman over Monohan. PLD is debatable depending on the type of player you need.
I said he hasn’t lived up to draft hype. And it clearly has to do with other polls here cause you brought them up. And we’ll have to agree to disagree with Hyman over Monohan and debatably over PLD cause I think that’s bordering on absurd.

Reactions: TS Quint

Mar 26, 2010
I said he hasn’t lived up to draft hype. And it clearly has to do with other polls here cause you brought them up. And we’ll have to agree to disagree with Hyman over Monohan and debatably over PLD cause I think that’s bordering on absurd.
PLD, I understand your point. He is a more skilled player for sure. Hyman is a completely different animal.

As far as Monohan goes, no one in their right mind it taking him over Hyman.

RNH just sucks. Straight up.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This would be a fun poll to visit if both guys leave in free agency this year.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This would be a fun poll to visit if both guys leave in free agency this year.

Hyman certainly has the right to command much more than he earns and I don't think any Leaf fan would begrudge him it. He's earned it. Most of us hope two things work in our favour: he very much loves being there (actually almost forced his way onto the team) and he comes from a very well off family so money isn't as much of an issue. But if he wants to chase more than they can offer, it's his right and I wouldn't begrudge him. Been a solid warrior who never takes a single shift off and I would wish him well.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->