Eklund Rumor: RNH to NYI?

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Careful, Islanders might have more points than the Oilers by year end. I am sure they won't overpay for an over paid 2C/3C on a long term deal either.

Islanders are gonna be competing for sure! Competing for Nolan Patrick that is.
They suck. Terrible forwards outside of J.T. Defense is looking atrocious and two mediocre goalies to boot.
The gm has made some mistakes and now it looks as if the Islanders time of contending has ended.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Hamonic will not be traded for RNH

You are right . We don't need Hamonic . We need a PM PPQB RHD . Trade Hamonic for Barrie and we can talk .

We are not the buyers now . We are content with our team so if you want to buy one of our players we will set the price . It will not be other teams . If you don't like the price shop somewhere else . A buyer can not go into a store and set their price . The owner of that store sets the pricing

If Hamonic is coming for RNH it has to be Hamonic + as he isn't a need

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Careful, Islanders might have more points than the Oilers by year end. I am sure they won't overpay for an over paid 2C/3C on a long term deal either.

No GM in the NHL would call RNH a number 3 C . You also might want to catch up on NHL players salary because RNH is not over paid for want he brings .

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
You are right . We don't need Hamonic . We need a PM PPQB RHD . Trade Hamonic for Barrie and we can talk .

We are not the buyers now . We are content with our team so if you want to buy one of our players we will set the price . It will not be other teams . If you don't like the price shop somewhere else . A buyer can not go into a store and set their price . The owner of that store sets the pricing

If Hamonic is coming for RNH it has to be Hamonic + as he isn't a need

Thanks PC!

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
So The Islanders want another weak small player (who does have some skill) in the middle who can get hurt easily? Pass! Snow has built a soft team with very little talent. Give me Saad or Carter over RNH! Our 8 million $$$ man Ladd playing 4th line! Excellent Job SnowBalls and Dougie Doo Wrong.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Thanks PC!

Thank you Snow . What I said is commonsnse . If I come to you and you have an above average Mustang that you don't want to sell you are not going let me set the price base on fair market value . You are going to set your price and thats that . Nothing I said suggest a smug reply was needed . The NYI set their price on Hamonic this summer . Others thought it should be lower base on many factors but the NYI set there price and it was not met . Well we all know what happen . We also can see the team struggles now . I think the Hall deal would have helped you guys a lot .

Only deal I see the NYI / Oilers doing is lessor piece package for Eberle . Not sure Chia would pull the trigger this year on that as our top RW would be a rookie .

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Islanders are gonna be competing for sure! Competing for Nolan Patrick that is.
They suck. Terrible forwards outside of J.T. Defense is looking atrocious and two mediocre goalies to boot.
The gm has made some mistakes and now it looks as if the Islanders time of contending has ended.

Maybe, but Oilers still likely miss the playoffs too:)

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Thank you Snow . What I said is commonsnse . If I come to you and you have an above average Mustang that you don't want to sell you are not going let me set the price base on fair market value . You are going to set your price and thats that . Nothing I said suggest a smug reply was needed . The NYI set their price on Hamonic this summer . Others thought it should be lower base on many factors but the NYI set there price and it was not met . Well we all know what happen . We also can see the team struggles now . I think the Hall deal would have helped you guys a lot .

Only deal I see the NYI / Oilers doing is lessor piece package for Eberle . Not sure Chia would pull the trigger this year on that as our top RW would be a rookie .

Agree there's no deal here but hamonic+ for rnh is pretty unlikely

cobra427

May 6, 2012
No GM in the NHL would call RNH a number 3 C . You also might want to catch up on NHL players salary because RNH is not over paid for want he brings .

Outside of your own coach/GM. He is a 3C on the Oilers and at 6 mill, he is way over paid. That was a dumb contract, and he likely wouldn't have gotten that as a UFA. When/if he is traded, the Oilers will get less than fair value.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Outside of your own coach/GM. He is a 3C on the Oilers and at 6 mill, he is way over paid. That was a dumb contract, and he likely wouldn't have gotten that as a UFA. When/if he is traded, the Oilers will get less than fair value.

No problem, we will keep him then. Enjoy sitting in the basement.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
unfortunately for you guys, it'll probably be another Hall for Larsson type of deal.

We're actually fine with the Hall/Larsson trade but thanks for your concern.

Obviously you don't understand the market. The Oilers were desperate for a shake up and a top pairing defenseman in the offseason. Now the Islanders are in desperation mode. The Oilers don't have to do anything right now so if the Islanders want RNH, they will have to overpay. Anyway, it's Eklund so.....

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

He is not a 3rd C on the Oilers . I guess Malkin is only a 2 C ? forget cap for a minute . If we added 4 of the top D in the NHL would that make Larsson a number 5 D ? No of course not it just means he would be playing #5 on the Oilers . What do you consider McDavid ? If he played on the Pens he would be behind Crosby right now . Does that make him a #2 C . Nope again . Calling a player a #or any number needs to be taken in context . I guess if I cloned Mario Lemieux , Wayne Gretzky , Mark Messier and Sidney Crosby McDavid is a minor leaguer in your eyes LOL

Sep 26, 2016
Maybe, but Oilers still likely miss the playoffs too:)

78% of teams in a playoff spot by American thanksgiving make the postseason, so actually it's likely they won't. But thanks for your concern.

I used to think of the Islanders as our brothers in the east but after reading Oilers/Islanders trade threads the Isles can rot.

ginovegas

Dec 15, 2009
Montreal

So tell me, what does he bring?
He's been part of team whose was made of of mainly top 3 overall picks that never accomplished anything
a life-time negative guy
I don't know

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He is not a 3rd C on the Oilers . I guess Malkin is only a 2 C ? forget cap for a minute . If we added 4 of the top D in the NHL would that make Larsson a number 5 D ? No of course not it just means he would be playing #5 on the Oilers . What do you consider McDavid ? If he played on the Pens he would be behind Crosby right now . Does that make him a #2 C . Nope again . Calling a player a #or any number needs to be taken in context . I guess if I cloned Mario Lemieux , Wayne Gretzky , Mark Messier and Sidney Crosby McDavid is a minor leaguer in your eyes LOL

Forget the Oilers for a minute. Most GM's view RNH as an over paid, low end 2C/high end 3C, on a long term 4 year deal. He is not a 2C on a good deal. Nobody will pay fair value for him because of that contract unless the Oilers take back a contract they don't want. Oilers likely keep him because nobody wants his contract.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wow the dead last team in the NHL fans think they can get RNH for bargain :laugh: They had 65 point player in Okposo spent his money on Ladd let Neilson go and one of the worst drafting teams out there good luck Islanders can See JT wanting out of that circus

What, we can't be unbelievably smug and condescending about our dead last hockey team?

Rpq3yhp.jpg

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Forget the Oilers for a minute. Most GM's view RNH as an over paid, low end 2C/high end 3C, on a long term 4 year deal. He is not a 2C on a good deal. Nobody will pay fair value for him because of that contract unless the Oilers take back a contract they don't want. Oilers likely keep him because nobody wants his contract.

Ok, lets forget the oilers.
How many general managers in the NHL do you know?
When did any of the General Managers come out and say "Ryan Nugent Hopkins is a over paid low end 2c or high end 3 C" on a long term deal. Pretty sure you are just trying to make things up to either..

A: Stir the pot because you are bored.
B: Defend your Terrible Club
C: Jealous of the Oilers fans for having a awesome roster
D: All of the above

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
So tell me, what does he bring?
He's been part of team whose was made of of mainly top 3 overall picks that never accomplished anything
a life-time negative guy
I don't know
What has Tavares accomplished???? Maybe when they get another 1st overall pick this year the Isles can win a playoff round by 2035 :laugh:

The Oilers have one of the best PK's and allow one of the lowest scoring chances per game. I really don't see any reason why the Oilers would do a major shake up right now

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Like I said its entirely possible he could be made available, but I don't see a reasonable trade right now that makes sense, especially with expansion looming. If anything I could see a deal this summer if he were to be dealt, but it would require Draisaitl to prove himself as a #2C who can take the hard defensive matchups, and Caggiula proving he can slide into the 3C as a permanent fixture. Both of those things are more than possible.

Now as for Nuge's production, maybe he does and maybe he doesn't have that offensive potential anymore to be a 60 or 70 point guy. I think its hard for most players to put up that kind of production from the 2nd/3rd line, especially with the way Edmonton is running 3 scoring lines so the winger pool is a little diluted for Nuge and Draisaitl (although RNH has been with Eberle and Maroon for the last 3 or 4 games and they've been creating a ton since then). The other thing is Nuge has been bumped down to 2nd PP so his production is going to suffer even more from that. Maybe they'd be better off running Draisaitl on wing with Nuge, but they seem to like the 3 line attack to create mismatches.

I don't have an issue with the way TMc is utilizing RNH. He is by far our best defensive forward at this point in his career, and is noticeably stronger this year. He wins the majority of puck battles he's involved in simply because his stick work is very good and he is not as easy to knock off the puck as he once was. He's tracking to be a poor-man's Bergeron, and imo won't be at his peak for another couple years as he finishes adding weight and strength. I think the role he's been given helps the Oilers win more hockey games than they would if he was trying to get RNH to just run and gun to pad his point totals. He doesn't need to do that when we have a 1st line centre that is probably going to score 90-100 points this season.

We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but if he manages to score 50 points with his very good defensive play and limited offensive opportunities then I will be ecstatic. He's been snake bitten and has had poor performance out of his line mates up until recently, but imo he is more than capable and will break through eventually this year.

Everything you've said makes sense from a team and coaching standpoint to develop RNH into the kind of player he wants (tracking to a poor man's Bergeron) but it makes me question the depth and ability of the bottom lines that the Oilers have right now. Tossing RNH out there to shut down the top lines and taking him off the top power play is beyond "whipping boy" status. Now I'm sure he's not going to question the wisdom of one of the best coaches in the league nor does he seem the kind of personality that would ever refuse an order or shy from a challenge. But that is a very, VERY tall order and I fear as a non-Oiler fan if that won't create some kind of cover up or deficiency within the lineup for McDavid. You can throw RNH out there all day to shut down the top lines at home in Edmonton on but on the road everyone is going to change on the fly to compensate for the young phenom.

I just hope RNH still has that offensive talent that made him a 1st overall pick because it's that talent that would keep his value high in a hypothetical trade situation as opposed to him being a can-do-it-all Swiss Army knife because why pay the extra value for RNH when all you gotta do is sign someone like Dan Boyle who can shut down the top lines.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Too bad you're wrong. He plays 17:44 per game and that makes him a 2C on the Oilers and across the league. Unless you want to discount his 2+ minutes of PK time per game(on the #3 PK I might add) So if he's a 3C what does that make Spezza, Plekanec, Matthews, Larkin, Kuznetzov, Stepan, Schenn, and so on? 4C's? I'm sure Snow is happy with Cizikas being a 2C

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Everything you've said makes sense from a team and coaching standpoint to develop RNH into the kind of player he wants (tracking to a poor man's Bergeron) but it makes me question the depth and ability of the bottom lines that the Oilers have right now. Tossing RNH out there to shut down the top lines and taking him off the top power play is beyond "whipping boy" status. Now I'm sure he's not going to question the wisdom of one of the best coaches in the league nor does he seem the kind of personality that would ever refuse an order or shy from a challenge. But that is a very, VERY tall order and I fear as a non-Oiler fan if that won't create some kind of cover up or deficiency within the lineup for McDavid. You can throw RNH out there all day to shut down the top lines at home in Edmonton on but on the road everyone is going to change on the fly to compensate for the young phenom.

I just hope RNH still has that offensive talent that made him a 1st overall pick because it's that talent that would keep his value high in a hypothetical trade situation as opposed to him being a can-do-it-all Swiss Army knife because why pay the extra value for RNH when all you gotta do is sign someone like Dan Boyle who can shut down the top lines.
Oilers are 7-4-2 on the road and McDavid has 17 points(1.31 PPG)
VS.
Oilers are 5-3-1 at home and McDavid has 11 points(1.22 PPG)

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

:laugh:
So nice to have Bob McKenzie on these boards.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
No problem, we will keep him then. Enjoy sitting in the basement.

Should we as Oiler fans really be going there?

3-6-1 in our last 10. Back to back losses against Arizona.

Let's try and be civil. We could easily miss the playoffs again. Outside McDavid the team isn't producing offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad