RLR's June Draft Guide

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
I decided I would order a copy since I really like their independent view on the draft... it's the first time I order something from RLR and I was just wondering if anyone on the board has ordered the Draft Guide in previous draft years? Is it a good read?

Thanks!

Last edited:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kyle Chipchura said:
I decided I would order a copy since I really like their independent view on the draft... it's the first time I order something from RLR and I was just wondering if anyone on the board has ordered the Draft Guide in previous draft years? Is it a good read?

Thanks!

i've gotten it the last few years and i think its a good read and is informative especially if you view it in comparision to scouting reports from mckeesn, thn, iss, etc too. like any scouting report its one persons opinion of a player not the 'gospel' so my feeling is the more different views you get on a guy the more likely you are to get the most accurate picture.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Kyle Chipchura said:

Thanks!

Aside from last season, I'd ordered it for 4 years in a row. I really like the player analysis and player comparison. I ordered it again this year too.....

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Not a fan, ordered it last year and wasn't very happy with it. The ISS Draft guide was MUCH more informative for the price.

I won't be ordering RedLines this year and have already ordered ISS guide.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
FLYLine88 said:
Not a fan, ordered it last year and wasn't very happy with it. The ISS Draft guide was MUCH more informative for the price.

I won't be ordering RedLines this year and have already ordered ISS guide.

I understand your point of view.

However, as a McKeen's subscriber, I just felt that ISS is very similar to McKeen's year after year on how they rank the draftees. Maybe it's just my own impression of it, but it seems like Red Line is in a "category of its own" in terms of how different their rankings are in comparision to THN, McKeen's and ISS. The fact that they had Alexander Radulov at #4 overall in their 2004 guide is a good example of this.

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
Do you have to get yearly subscriptions for those or can you just order the Draft preview?

Also, how do all 3 compare cost wise.....and what is the cost for McKeens..RLR...ISS

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
You don't have to get year-long subscriptions to Redlines or ISS to get their draft previews. You can order them both for $40 American. You can order the ISS guide via internet and they give you the option of an online copy. Redline only has ahard copy mailed to you, and you can only order it by phone or mail.

The TNH draft previews are usually available on newstands. Not sure of the price.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
petrklima85 said:
Do you have to get yearly subscriptions for those or can you just order the Draft preview?

Also, how do all 3 compare cost wise.....and what is the cost for McKeens..RLR...ISS

You can order a copy of the draft guide at RLR and ISS without being a yearly subscriber. The printed version of the draft preview costs US $40 at RLR and $45 at ISS.

ISS's electronic version costs US $40.

As for McKeen's, you can get a monthly subcription for US $5 a month... so a 12-month subscription is US $50. McKeen's does not offer an in-depth draft guide like the other two though; they offer their rankings of the top 100 prospects and scouting reports.

Tugnutt*

An important thing to remember is that RLR is compiled by actual, professional talent evaluators, while ISS and McKeens are written and compiled by fans.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
Tugnutt said:
An important thing to remember is that RLR is compiled by actual, professional talent evaluators, while ISS and McKeens are written and compiled by fans.
I dont think so, there is a lot of time put into these its not just fans.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Tugnutt said:

Are you sure that's accurate? I wouldn't think so... ISS is being used as a reference by TSN more often than any other scouting service so it must mean something as to who is doing the scouting for ISS. TSN would not simply take a random bunch of fans' rankings of the prospects.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Kyle Chipchura said:

Thanks!

If you're expecting a glossy magazine full of stats and player photos, you'll be disappointed.

But, if you're looking for detailed scouting reports on the top-110 prospects (230-odd players are ranked, but only half get the profiles) plus team needs analyses and mock drafts as well as an "awards" section for the prospects, then you should be happy with it.

I've got every draft guide since 1999, and they nail prospects and miss them...just like everybody else who does draft guides and previews.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Kirk- NEHJ said:
If you're expecting a glossy magazine full of stats and player photos, you'll be disappointed.

But, if you're looking for detailed scouting reports on the top-110 prospects (230-odd players are ranked, but only half get the profiles) plus team needs analyses and mock drafts as well as an "awards" section for the prospects, then you should be happy with it.

Thank you for sharing your point of view. Should be an interesting read indeed.

I was reading on the RLR website about up-to-the-minute info on which way teams are leaning towards with their top selection... does it mean you get this type of stuff by email during the draft weekend? :dunno:

Tugnutt*

inferno98 said:
I dont think so, there is a lot of time put into these its not just fans.

The amount of time they put into it doesn't make them professionals.

Tugnutt*

Kyle Chipchura said:
I was reading on the RLR website about up-to-the-minute info on which way teams are leaning towards with their top selection... does it mean you get this type of stuff by email during the draft weekend? :dunno:

No.

Typically Kyle releases the RLR pretty close to Draft day. So "up-to-the-minute" isn't exactly accurate.

X-SHARKIE

Redline uses former NHL scouts to form their rankings while ISS, McKeens use volunteers, some of those volunteers however are former or current coaches ect.

ISS has hit a few home runs like having Meszaro's at 4 when no one else had them in their top 10. Redline recently with having Radulov 3rd on their list. But they both miss often as well.

Redline has been around the longest and I like their approach but some times I think their scouting reports are to brief while ISS gets more in depth on the players skills.

Both hit and miss though... anyone else still agree that $40 is over priced for both?

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
. . . anyone else still agree that $40 is over priced for both?
Bingo!

THN for me, even though it doesn't tell me much that I haven't already learned by surfing the internet religiously (except that its gives us an impression of what actual NHL scouts are thinking).

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Tugnutt* said:

I can't speak for McKeens, but ISS is not compiled by "fans" as you imply. While everybody at ISS is a hockey fan, they use trained scouts. Their director of scouting is a full-time employee with 15 years experience as a scout. Many of their other scouts work as scouts for other organizations and many former ISS scouts have gotten jobs working for hockey teams as scouts.

FYI: http://www.internationalscouting.com/about.html

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Tugnutt* said:

Thats totally incorrect and this message should be removed for giving false info out. What do you work for RLR or something?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the only thing that i've disliked about RLR is that it seems like each year woodlief has his 'favorite' that he overhypes and then you seems to pick out a player that others have high and knock them. its almost like he does this simply so if he disagrees with other sources and turns out to be right he can claim he was a genius for calling it (and sometimes he claims to be a genius when he wasn't right lol)...overall i think its really and informative there are just the ocasional comments that raise an eyebrow.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
timlap said:
Bingo!

THN for me, even though it doesn't tell me much that I haven't already learned by surfing the internet religiously (except that its gives us an impression of what actual NHL scouts are thinking).

It did have nice pictures of all the players though - kind of put a face to them for those of us who hadn't seen them.

BTW, Kessel is kinda weird lookin'. :help:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
RedLine says it has a comprehensive and in-depth analysis of the top 110 prospects, rankings of the top 300 prospects and a variety of mock drafts. Yet it says its only 32 pages. How comprehensive and in depth could it possibly be? And for 40 bucks, too. No thanks.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I ordered the ISS report and I'm expecting it any day. This is my first year following the draft closely enough to get a guide, so I'll let you know how it suits me when it gets here, for whatever it's worth.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
I'm not terribly fond of RLR... their different, but different isn't always good. Personally I find their scouting reports a little too brief and have a distinct distaste for Woodlief's fondness for picking a "favourite" player a yr or two in advance and spending a significant amount of time hyping him as a superstar with little regard for how the player actually does.
I honestly get the strong impression with him that he does it solely to be different, and can claim to be a genius for years on the rare occasion he's right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad