RLR's June Draft Guide

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Wild Thing said:
That's something that's always bothered me about Woodlief, too. For Pete's sake, Kyle, these are 17-year old kids you're talking about. Ease up a bit, eh? He doesn't need to get that personal. Snarky little digs like that make me question his professionalism and objectivity.

That's the thing, Kyle's goal, at least the goal of Redline isn't to be "professional" or "objective." He's sharing his personal (albeit ascerbic) take on prospects and he evaluates and rates them accordingly. As for getting personal, he calls a spade a spade, and while his language is course, I feel his comments tend to be spot on.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
For those interested, Kyle Woodlief was on the Caps' weekly internet broadcast yesterday - it's about a 1/2 hour interiew. You can download the podcast at the Caps' website (washingtoncaps.com - on the right under the "Podcasts" section). The podcast featuring Kyle is listed as:

"Capitals Report For June 2006
06-07-06 MP3 link here"

The interview starts @ 34 minutes in. I'd recommend starting there, as they had a lot of technical trouble earlier in the show and are clearly stalling.

As it was a Caps' show, it is somewhat Washington-centric, but Woodlief speaks a lot about the 2006 draft class. Worth a listen.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
That's the thing, Kyle's goal, at least the goal of Redline isn't to be "professional" or "objective." He's sharing his personal (albeit ascerbic) take on prospects and he evaluates and rates them accordingly. As for getting personal, he calls a spade a spade, and while his language is course, I feel his comments tend to be spot on.
I always look forward to Kyle's articles. At the same time there seems to be something pathetic about a grown man mocking kids. I feel the same thing when I see grown-ups screaming and taunting junior players. It's a part of hockey culture that I could do without.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
timlap said:
I always look forward to Kyle's articles. At the same time there seems to be something pathetic about a grown man mocking kids. I feel the same thing when I see grown-ups screaming and taunting junior players. It's a part of hockey culture that I could do without.

I would agree if we were talking about 10 year olds, but we're not.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
I would agree if we were talking about 10 year olds, but we're not.
True enough. In part, it depends where people draw the line between adults and kids and every one will do that a little differently. Teenagers are in between, but in my view it's important for adults to continue to have a protective and nurturing approach to them (but don't let them know it :) ).

However, I am getting needlessly detailed about it. The truth is, I don't really like it when people mock adults either. Otoh I probably make exceptions.

To be clear, I appreciate Redline for what it is, and I am only talking about my personal feelings when I see that kind of thing. I realise other people will think differently and that's fine.

Last edited:

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Rabid Ranger said:

I agree.

Some of the people who get upset at some of the criticisms are really more upset at the fact that Woodlief is hammering on "their boy," more than anything else. I've seen some of the folks who whine about how mean Woodlief is on this forum, say some horrible things about players they don't care for. If you're going to do that, then you have no business questioning Red Line's style. It all comes down to the fact that they want Woodlief to be a ball washer for their guy, and when he is on the opposite side of the spectrum, they don't like it.

And then there are those who simply don't like Red Line's style- and I respect that.

This is an "if the shoe fits" post. If you know that you simply don't care for Red Line's methods, then don't feel the need to defend yourself on the first part of the post. I've been on these boards long enough to know there is a lot of validity to what I am saying, and that there are some people who have never liked the abrasiveness of Red Line and never will. That's cool. Different strokes for different folks.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Kyle Chipchura said:
So, has anyone gotten the printed issue of the Draft Guide yet?

They were supposed to be sent out June 5th, so I'd expect them to be arriving either tommorow or early next week. I'm quite eager to get mine :D

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Got mine today.

Excellent as usual.

The sensitive types won't like some of the one-liners, though. My favorite: "Could run for President of Candya$$istan"

But overall- another fine effort. The Red Line profiles go into the players' strengths, weaknesses, where they excelled, what they do well, not so well. It's hard information- without bells and whistles. But, where else are you going to get detailed scouting reports on the first 112 prospects as Red Line sees it?

My hat is off to the staff once again for another quality product. This is the eighth Red Line draft guide I have in hand.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Agree to disagree

Kirk- NEHJ said:
Both guides have their share of misses, just as they hit on players. In the end, though- you have to decide what you're willing to pay for. If you're expecting stats lines and bells and whistles, then Red Line is not for you. If you want a little more fluff and an aesthetically pleasing product with similar content, then Green Line, I mean- ISS- is right up your alley. ISS has done a nice job of getting some key media sources to use them as a resource, but in the end- I can tell you that to me, they don't have any kind of profound or substantial edge of any kind when it comes to scouting. Their guys have their opinions, Red Line's guys have theirs.

I enjoy reading Red Line when I get the chance, but I don't subscribe. I like Kyle's take on a lot of things. However, like all good hockey organizations that use more than one scout, I like to use an array of sources. I prefer evaluation of a hockey player's skills and an assessment of his potential. I soured on Woodlief because he's written off too many players too early. Namely, Jeff Carter and Cam Ward. Lots of kids have faults at 17, it doesn't mean they're no good and can't fix them.

As for ISS, I've been a loyal reader for since their inception and they've improved a lot. As for copying Red Line, well call it flattery, but I would hardly call writing about hockey prospects a patented idea. ISS focusses on different areas that Red Line tends to ignore. More coverage of midget hockey in Canada and less coverage of prep schools and youth festivals in the U.S.

Like you said, different strokes for different folks.

What I don't get is you referring to ISS as having "fluff" and "bells and whistles." That, to me, describes the Hockey News draft preview. I just got my ISS draft guide and it's a very meaty read. Profiles of top 100 prospects. In-depth features on five top-10 prospects. A look ahead at 2007, 2008 and the top 1991s.

Not trying to sway you from Red Line, just setting the record straight on ISS.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
I'm from Canada and I still haven't received the draft guide yet... I assume I won't be getting it until Monday at the soonest. It sucks... I was really looking forward to read it during the weekend.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Scribe said:
As for ISS, I've been a loyal reader for since their inception and they've improved a lot. As for copying Red Line, well call it flattery, but I would hardly call writing about hockey prospects a patented idea. ISS focusses on different areas that Red Line tends to ignore. More coverage of midget hockey in Canada and less coverage of prep schools and youth festivals in the U.S.

What I don't get is you referring to ISS as having "fluff" and "bells and whistles." That, to me, describes the Hockey News draft preview. I just got my ISS draft guide and it's a very meaty read. Profiles of top 100 prospects. In-depth features on five top-10 prospects. A look ahead at 2007, 2008 and the top 1991s.

Not trying to sway you from Red Line, just setting the record straight on ISS.

Fluff= spending 2-3 sentences on a scouting profile by declaring how much the scouting service has liked a prospect since last year and the year before. It's extraneous BS and adds nothing to the profile, but it happens far too much for my liking in the ISS guide. IMO- and, I've gotten every ISS draft guide since they came out in 2003, they are pretty heavy on the hyperbole, but pretty thin on the actual nuts and bolts of what a prospect does well or doesn't do well. Red Line cuts to the chase and breaks down the aspects of that player, as opposed to ISS, which spends far too much time describing what the player did that previous season- kinda like a season in review. In other words- fluff. Some folks like that kind of thing, but that isn't what I'm looking for.

It's a preference thing, of course. You've explained why you like ISS- more power to you. They do some things pretty well- the 2007 preview is a nice feature for example- but having compared the two guides side by side, I don't see how anyone can say that you are actually getting more hockey-intensive information out of the ISS guide, because the fact is- you aren't.

I'll admit that ISS is more aesthetically pleasing than Red Line, and they have the stats lines and a few extras that Red Line doesn't, but for the quality and depth of the scouting reports RLR provides, I don't think ISS is even close to getting there yet. And, when I'm paying $40 a pop for information, I want detailed analysis of the players, not the kinds of stat lines and subjective grades that I can get by logging onto the internet and reading these boards. One example I will cite is in the ISS Kyle Okposo profile, where they give him a 'B' for poise. I've seen him, and I'd say that his poise is one of his best attributes. Ask any scout who saw him take the Bucs all the way to the top in the playoffs, and they'll say the same thing. Okposo's poise is much better than a B. 'A+' for skating? Really? He's a good skater, but not a great one. Now, had I never seen Okposo play, I'd be expecting a blazing fast guy who's all over the ice but undisciplined, and not a big-game player based on those grades ISS gave him. Instead, the reverse is true- you have a guy who's a pretty solid skater (nothing spectacular though), but who really ratchets it up at crunchtime and gets it done. That's but one example, and there are others. Without the grades, the ISS profile's, solid, but those grades detract from it, because I've seen the guy enough to call BS on that.

I've subscribed to Red Line for seven years. I'm comfortable with their product and their knowledge and in the end- that's what it all comes down to. ISS has done a remarkable job in growing and getting their product out there over the past three or four years, and competition is good. They've essentially taken Red Line's successful formula and tweaked it for their own use- more power to them. But, when I look at the two side-by-side, I can form a much better picture of a prospect from reading what Red Line says about them than ISS. That's the bottom line for me.

Not trying to sway you from ISS, but just setting the record straight on Red Line ;)

Snoopy

Mar 5, 2005
Redline

Just my personal opinion, but I would stick with Redline because they seem to be more accurate and articulate.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Kirk- NEHJ said:
The sensitive types won't like some of the one-liners, though. My favorite: "Could run for President of Candya$$istan"

Heh. Can`t leave us hanging on that one, you have to tell us who that was said about.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
sarcastro said:
Oh I'm not second guessing or worrying about wasting the money - I did my homework and I'm confident that I will be happy when the ISS guide gets here.

And beyond being more pleasing to the eye (which it was), the ISS sample guide I saw had a ton of info, and the RLR sample did not come close to measuring up. Check it out for yourself - then you can tell me if that's what the RLR guide really looks like. I'm curious.

And like I said, it's my first year buying a draft guide so it's uncharted waters anyway.

RLR June 2004 draft guide: http://www.redlinereport.com/redlinereport_jun2004DG.html

ISS 2004 draft guide: [url="http://www.internationalscouting.com/pdf/ISSdraftguide-sample.pdf"]http://www.internationalscouting.com/pdf/ISSdraftguide-sample.pdf[/url]

Pleasing to the eye??? Who cares about the esthetics? You are paying $40 US for knowledgable insight into young hockey prospects who in most cases you know little or nothing about. The simple reason that RLR is actually printed on red card stock isn't just because Kyle thought the name was catchy...He works hard and has loads of scouts and contacts all over collaborating with him on his work every year, and he wants to preserve that. The reason its red is so that it can't be photocopied. See with ISS you get some buddies together and split the cost and just copy it. But with RLR you pay for it and its yours exclusively. Sure you can pass it around, but I paid good money, and I reserve the right to tell my fellow fantasy keeper league GM's to go fly a kite. I love the Red Line Report and I really appreciate what Kyle does and the way he handles his business.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Puckhead said:
Pleasing to the eye??? Who cares about the esthetics? You are paying $40 US for knowledgable insight into young hockey prospects who in most cases you know little or nothing about. The simple reason that RLR is actually printed on red card stock isn't just because Kyle thought the name was catchy...He works hard and has loads of scouts and contacts all over collaborating with him on his work every year, and he wants to preserve that. The reason its red is so that it can't be photocopied. See with ISS you get some buddies together and split the cost and just copy it. But with RLR you pay for it and its yours exclusively. Sure you can pass it around, but I paid good money, and I reserve the right to tell my fellow fantasy keeper league GM's to go fly a kite. I love the Red Line Report and I really appreciate what Kyle does and the way he handles his business.

That red color becomes tough on the eyes

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
anyone else not get their draft guide yet?? i placed an order over a week ago and my credit card was charged last monday but i still haven't gotten it. i've been trying to call all weekend to find out when it was shipped but can't get a hold of anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad