Rivet and Peters rip The Sabres. Spot on.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I listened to this out of interest. I don’t like their podcast. Far too toxic and little on insight. They harped far too long on things (like Skinner). They were right that Adams’s didn’t do enough this summer and that the forward group was too skill heavy and a lack of gets to support the kids. They were also right that the coaching and front office staff don’t have the requisite experience needed to run a team. Because it was rivet and Peter’s it’s was hot take heavy rather than content though.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
People can obsess about some details/opinions they are off on but they absolutely nailed the big picture on why this team fails and is going to fail as long as Pegula is in charge baring him having some miraculous "Come To Jesus" moment.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
People can obsess about some details/opinions they are off on but they absolutely nailed the big picture on why this team fails and is going to fail as long as Pegula is in charge baring him having some miraculous "Come To Jesus" moment.
I said it previously.

Tell me why our players are on their asses in front of the other net while the opposing team gets 4-5 wacks at a puck while the sabres watch standing there?

Its not normal.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Haven’t listened to all of it, but when they said if the oppositions best player (Aho) will join a scrum because he has no fear of anyone taking him to the cleaners you have a problem … that is pretty bang-on.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I agree both statement can be -- and are, even if its a guess -- true,

But my main issue is with Peter's claim at the beginning of the podcast that Botterill was fired because he wouldn't do the things the Pegulas wanted him to do. I'm sure that played a role in his ouster, but JFC it's pretty obvious that the main reason Jason Botterill was fired was because he hired the most unqualified NHL hockey coach in Sabres history in Phil Housely, then for an encore went out and hired the most unqualified NHL coach in NHL history in the form of Ralph Kreuger. The team was heading backwards under his stewardship. That's not the result of Big Head refusing to do the Pegulas' bidding, that was the result of some horrific GM decision making from awful coaching hires to bad trades to alienating his top players with dumb contracts.

Sorry he was your friend Andrew but come on now the guy was incompetent. And many of the issues we're dealing with today are a direct result of Botterill's botched handling of this roster when he was in charge.
???

If Botts was fired for hiring Kreuger then why did Pegula and Adams keep Kreuger around for another season? The team had just finished the season on an 81 point pace, a 5 point improvement over the previous season.

It was 100% clear that Botts was fired because he wasn't willing to fire 95% of his staff during a pandemic so that the Pegulas could afford more yacht fuel.

We here on Sabres HFboards had been dismayed only a week or two prior to bott's firing when Pegula held a press conference and gave Botts the vote of confidence. We all wanted botts gone, but pegula didn't. What changed over those 2 weeks was the Pegulas going public with wanting to be "lean and efficient", so that they had the cash flow to afford their life style. Botts refused to go lean on his hockey department so they canned him. It's not a coincidence that the first thing Adams did was lay off 95% of the department.

If Pegula fired Botts because of Kreuger or not making the right player moves, then the first thing Adams would have done upon being hired was to fire Krueger and make some trades. Not fire everybody but Kreuger.

Reactions: SabresFan26

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
???

If Botts was fired for hiring Kreuger then why did Pegula and Adams keep Kreuger around for another season? The team had just finished the season on an 81 point pace, a 5 point improvement over the previous season.

It was 100% clear that Botts was fired because he wasn't willing to fire 95% of his staff during a pandemic so that the Pegulas could afford more yacht fuel.

We here on Sabres HFboards had been dismayed only a week or two prior to bott's firing when Pegula held a press conference and gave Botts the vote of confidence. We all wanted botts gone, but pegula didn't. What changed over those 2 weeks was the Pegulas going public with wanting to be "lean and efficient", so that they had the cash flow to afford their life style. Botts refused to go lean on his hockey department so they canned him. It's not a coincidence that the first thing Adams did was lay off 95% of the department.

If Pegula fired Botts because of Kreuger or not making the right player moves, then the first thing Adams would have done upon being hired was to fire Krueger and make some trades. Not fire everybody but Kreuger.
Botterill stopped being a yes man is why he got fired. Enough was enough (ROR trade, Housley hiring, Skinner signing, etc.)

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
It starts to get a bit chilly as it does when the sun begins its slow fade behind the Sierra Blanca. The Sacramento lie back yonder and the Capitan up that away. The same earth that the Niit'a-héõde knew. The same Ponderosa overhead.

On such a day as that, seasons and seasons ago, with the shadows growing long as they do, walking along with my older brother sharing chocolate mescaline and telling stories - I had a brief encounter with a particularly disagreeable phrynosoma. Most of the horny toads you meet are generally pleasant fellows, mind you. Mostly. I'm not here to bash lizards. This one however got in the middle of the trail and got all puffy and squared up. It never broke eye contact with me as it said, "f*** the Sabres you care more than they do. They don't care. You are investing time and money in an inferior product and getting mad at them when you're the one wasting what you can't get back. Be better with things of value".

It hurt. The dawg in my pride was euthanized. My brother nodded tacitly in agreement, "You keep buying into all that hope bullshit but hope is a long wait on a train don't never come". "Listen to your brother", the horny toad said. "He is always way more smarter than you". I could only stare at the ground and tell them, "I knowed it".

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
???

I do not know the particulars on who got fired
The Sabres entire front office was inept. They had limited success on players drafted and their progression. The entire staff sucked. The development staff sucked. They needed a jolt. They needed a change. Sorry if you were loyal to them

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I do not know the particulars on who got fired
The Sabres entire front office was inept. They had limited success on players drafted and their progression. The entire staff sucked. The development staff sucked. They needed a jolt. They needed a change. Sorry if you were loyal to them
Yeah, they sucked. But the point is that they were not fired for being inept. They were fired to save Pegula money because he was worried about his cash flow at the start of the pandemic.

Botterill was not fired for being inept, he was fired for refusing to fire his staff, who Pegula wanted gone for the cost savings, rather than their lack of success.

It's a whole different level of incompetence by ownership. Pegula would have kept Botts if he had been willing to axe his staff.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah, they sucked. But the point is that they were not fired for being inept. They were fired to save Pegula money because he was worried about his cash flow at the start of the pandemic.

Botterill was not fired for being inept, he was fired for refusing to fire his staff, who Pegula wanted gone for the cost savings, rather than their lack of success.

It's a whole different level of incompetence by ownership. Pegula would have kept Botts if he had been willing to axe his staff.
This argument has never made sense.

The combined salaries of the front office staff are peanuts compared with roster players. If it was about purely saving money to ride out the pandemic. Then logically they wouldn’t have spent a penny more than the lower limit during the Covid season. When they knew the revenue was all but dried up for one season. But they did the opposite and spent to the upper limit.

It could just be Pegula being impulsive again.

EDIT: I’d also point out that one of the issues Pegula had with Botts was he (Terry) wasn’t looped in on decisions. Ironic in light of all the paranoia about him meddling.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

The combined salaries of the front office staff are peanuts compared with roster players. If it was about purely saving money to ride out the pandemic. Then logically they wouldn’t have spent a penny more than the lower limit during the Covid season. When they knew the revenue was all but dried up for one season. But they did the opposite and spent to the upper limit.

The staff was bloated and ineffective.. they have actually done a good job in rebuilding the front office.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

EDIT: I’d also point out that one of the issues Pegula had with Botts was he (Terry) wasn’t looped in on decisions. Ironic in light of all the paranoia about him meddling.

It wasn't just hockey ops people that got the ax. It was front office staff. Administrative staff. IT guys. This was a culling to minimize costs. It might have been impulsive, but to say it wasn't about money is false. It was clearly about money. It's the very reason I want the Pegula's to sell the team, because they were being petty and heartless over what was a minimal amount of cash in scope of their networth. For a family that uses "OneBuffalo" for their marketing, they certainly didn't support the city in a time of crisis but instead opted to be watch out for their own bottom line when they have more cash then they will ever be able to spend.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I do not take Rivet and Peters as gospel ... otherwise we'd be talking about Rasmus Dahlins 4 or 5 year contract extension

It is one when they trade him after 4 or 5 years.

1701890504275.gif

Reactions: Beerz

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Against my better judgment I’ve listened to this weeks episodes

just to prove how easy it is to punch down on Adams right now…the answers these two clowns have come up with each episode have included:

Ryan Reaves
Josh Anderson
Applauding Krueger for having Skinner on the 4th line

so sign up with them as you will

Reactions: dire wolf

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Against my better judgment I’ve listened to this weeks episodes

just to prove how easy it is to punch down on Adams right now…the answers these two clowns have come up with each episode have included:

Ryan Reaves
Josh Anderson
Applauding Krueger for having Skinner on the 4th line

so sign up with them as you will

Rivet has had a "thing" for Josh Anderson for years now in a "has image as screen saver on his phone" level of obsession.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

The staff was bloated and ineffective.. they have actually done a good job in rebuilding the front office.
Terry was pleased with the roster that Botts and his staff had built. Terry thought they were only a Taylor Hall away from winning the cup that season.

So Terry cut costs where he didn't think it would affect the on ice product. Why keep front office staff around after they already built a cup winner? And as a genius owner, he thought himself more than capable of getting the final piece of the roster puzzle to push them over the edge.

Then that season blew up in his face and the dream of a cup in the short term was gone, so he spent to the cap floor the next 2 seasons.

Reactions: joshjull

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I listened to this out of interest. I don’t like their podcast. Far too toxic and little on insight. They harped far too long on things (like Skinner). They were right that Adams’s didn’t do enough this summer and that the forward group was too skill heavy and a lack of gets to support the kids. They were also right that the coaching and front office staff don’t have the requisite experience needed to run a team. Because it was rivet and Peter’s it’s was hot take heavy rather than content though.
"Far too toxic", lmfao. Give me a break.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I think Krebs would be more than a throw in when you are talking about a team that seems to be entering a rebuild and is trading off UFAs-to-be that will not be extended in Calgary.

Krebs is still a young player with upside. And the fact that he is coming off of his ELC this summer and won't warrant a huge extension could be very valuable if they really liked him as a prospect and feel like a change in scenery would do him well.

It all comes down to how Craiger and company view Krebs. As a western Canadian team, they might view the WHL product differently than you do.
A minor consideration in the grander scheme, but Krebs is from Okotoks, just outside of Calgary. He'd be a hometown boy on the Flames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad