Rivet and Peters rip The Sabres. Spot on.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Also, does everyone forget that St. Louis was like in last place the year we traded them O’Reilly around this time of year? It’s way too early to give up on the season when they’re literally six points out of a playoff spot with 50 games left. If they can pick up a couple, good pieces and turn it around, the playoffs are still in reach.
ROR was traded on July 1, and was most certainly a huge contributor to their Cup, being awarded the Conn Smythe trophy.

However, the St. Louis turnaround coincided with the callup of their outspoken punk AHL starter, Jordan Binnington, and his totally unexpected emergence as an NHL star in his rookie season.

Adams isn't acquiring an ROR level talent in mid-season, and Levi won't duplicate Binnington's rookie season, at least not this year.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Craig Rivet made a great point yesterday.

Do the Sabres “look good” with 10 minutes to play in the 3rd. Or is it more the other team is packing up and heading for the bus already being up 3-4 goals.
I think that is a fair viewpoint and have said it for awhile

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Do the Sabres “look good” with 10 minutes to play in the 3rd. Or is it more the other team is packing up and heading for the bus already being up 3-4 goals.
Point made. Good teams often take their foot off the gas on the road in one sided games...

:rolleyes:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Terry was pleased with the roster that Botts and his staff had built. Terry thought they were only a Taylor Hall away from winning the cup that season.

So Terry cut costs where he didn't think it would affect the on ice product. Why keep front office staff around after they already built a cup winner? And as a genius owner, he thought himself more than capable of getting the final piece of the roster puzzle to push them over the edge.

Then that season blew up in his face and the dream of a cup in the short term was gone, so he spent to the cap floor the next 2 seasons.
I’m reading this like Jimmy from Seinfeld is saying it.

Terry is getting upset! So Terry is making decisions!

As for the points you’re making, I agree with you. I was talking more generally that fans jumped on that to make all sorts of claims about the Pegulas vis a vis their economic situation. I should have been clearer about that.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
THAT`S THE f***ING TRUTH! Even if no one wants to hear it. Respect to Rivet and Peters for addressing this so clearly! Things can't improve if things continue as they are now, we can wait another 15 years. Something simply has to change fundamentally! Things cannot continue like this

These two may be the only ones out there calling out the Sabres. They are profane for no reason but they are calling out stuff WGR and Buffalo News will not touch. It's amazing. Get this podcast.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I believe Tim Graham has also said that previously. It’s not the first time I’m hearing it.

The entire Skinner contract shows how incompetent Pegula is as an owner. And it's obvious. Skinner is not a terrible player by any means. He came off a career year, which is an issue. But everyone knew his preference was to play near Toronto.

The Sabres came up with $72 M million over eight years and a $9 M cap. Absolute insanity. No one else could have come close in any way, shape or form, let alone Toronto. Every other team had seven years. Let's just say some other team was offering $9 M X 7 or $63 M., which is mostly impossible to believe. Sabres could have gone to $66 million and been at $8.25 M.

My guess is Skinner was looking at maybe $8.5 M x 7 years tops and it would have been somewhere he had no interest in playing in. But that's $59.5 M contract. Even adding another $2.5 M to give him $62 M, the cap head should have been $7.5 M to $8 M tops because we had eight years.

Pegula is a bloody idiot on contracts and just has no idea what he is doing when spending. He gets to $10.25 over three for Ralph Krueger who was an unemployed soccer president trying to get back to the league. He extends Granato until 2025-26 at almost $2 M. I mean why? Someone in the NHL is going to give Granato a head coach job?

So many minor gaffes on contracts. How on earth does Okposo get $2.5 M. There is not one team in the NHL giving him anywhere close to that. Jost was a waiver guy barely making team and you give him $2 M.

Honestly, the draft picks look decent but the team has zero idea on contracts. It blows money on a bad deal, and then when it is that money could have been used via cap space, they stay silent at the deadline and miss out on mid-round picks.

We are doomed with Pegula. He would have to bring in a strong team president but he won't because Terry wants to hear what he wants.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Even Duffer and Marty sound extremely frustrated on Sabres Live. That's when you know it is bad.
Agreed. And they actually know what they are talking about.

Incredible insight. He must be some kind of genius. (Also, it's both)

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Agreed. And they actually know what they are talking about.

Incredible insight. He must be some kind of genius. (Also, it's both)
If Only Granato got it. Every time they lose he will say they played well in the last 10 minutes.

Last edited:

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
The entire Skinner contract shows how incompetent Pegula is as an owner. And it's obvious. Skinner is not a terrible player by any means. He came off a career year, which is an issue. But everyone knew his preference was to play near Toronto.

The Sabres came up with $72 M million over eight years and a $9 M cap. Absolute insanity. No one else could have come close in any way, shape or form, let alone Toronto. Every other team had seven years. Let's just say some other team was offering $9 M X 7 or $63 M., which is mostly impossible to believe. Sabres could have gone to $66 million and been at $8.25 M.

My guess is Skinner was looking at maybe $8.5 M x 7 years tops and it would have been somewhere he had no interest in playing in. But that's $59.5 M contract. Even adding another $2.5 M to give him $62 M, the cap head should have been $7.5 M to $8 M tops because we had eight years.

Pegula is a bloody idiot on contracts and just has no idea what he is doing when spending. He gets to $10.25 over three for Ralph Krueger who was an unemployed soccer president trying to get back to the league. He extends Granato until 2025-26 at almost $2 M. I mean why? Someone in the NHL is going to give Granato a head coach job?

So many minor gaffes on contracts. How on earth does Okposo get $2.5 M. There is not one team in the NHL giving him anywhere close to that. Jost was a waiver guy barely making team and you give him $2 M.

Honestly, the draft picks look decent but the team has zero idea on contracts. It blows money on a bad deal, and then when it is that money could have been used via cap space, they stay silent at the deadline and miss out on mid-round picks.

We are doomed with Pegula. He would have to bring in a strong team president but he won't because Terry wants to hear what he wants.
Whether or not granato is existentially a good coach, he turned Thompson into a 40+ goal scorer and got skinner and Dahlin back on track. If he’s fired he will for sure get another job. Thinking otherwise is just pissing on everything Sabres bc you’re mad.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Whether or not granato is existentially a good coach, he turned Thompson into a 40+ goal scorer and got skinner and Dahlin back on track. If he’s fired he will for sure get another job. Thinking otherwise is just pissing on everything Sabres bc you’re mad.
Absolutely agreed that once DG is done here, he's going to get another job with a young, rebuilding team. Hell, his work with Tage/Mitts/Dahlin/Cozens might even guarantee him two more shots at being a HC before he retires.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Granato wont get another coaching job. Coaches get fired here don't get another coaching job. This is the bottom rung. He might get an assistant job but ain't no team gonna give Granato another job with the resume he has.

I always thought Thompson turned Thompson into a 40+ goal scorer. When I watch Thompson now and a few years ago he is the same player he just progressed and got better.

I always find it weird when fans credit a coach 100% for the rise of a player. Like a player is incapable of working hard and developing his own skills and it can only been done by certain coaches.

Skinner is awful this year. Who do we credit for that? I also see the same people crediting Granato with being this savant like figure when it comes to developing talent but then when I bring up players who actually need to be developed like Krebs they are quickly to dismiss it like no one could help him become better so its not on Granato.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Granato wont get another coaching job. Coaches get fired here don't get another coaching job. This is the bottom rung. He might get an assistant job but ain't no team gonna give Granato another job with the resume he has.

Lindy Ruff says hello. So does Ted Nolan. And John Muckler. And Rick Dudley.

In fact -- before Bylsma/Housley/Kruger, the last Sabres' HC to not get another coaching job after was........Ted Sator.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

In fact -- before Bylsma/Housley/Kruger, the last Sabres' HC to not get another coaching job after was........Ted Sator.

Weird tangent - Sator once coached a Finnish team and was replaced by former Sabre Hannu Virta. His GM was Christian Ruuttu.

And now back to the Rivet-Peters thing.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021

I wouldn't pay Power over 8 million. Not a chance.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Hmmm... I wonder if there was a different ownership group hiring coaches with no experience. (DB the exception)

I wouldn't pay Power over 8 million. Not a chance.
Power is really a different debate than Skinner. Jeff Skinner was a UFA and not one team would have come close. Power was going to be an RFA and lots of team control. The number isn't as obvious.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
These two may be the only ones out there calling out the Sabres. They are profane for no reason but they are calling out stuff WGR and Buffalo News will not touch. It's amazing. Get this podcast.
Too busy talking about betting, fringe sports, and fantasy to do any analysis on their own so they just bring in guests to do it for them. (WGR)

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

I always thought Thompson turned Thompson into a 40+ goal scorer. When I watch Thompson now and a few years ago he is the same player he just progressed and got better.

I always find it weird when fans credit a coach 100% for the rise of a player. Like a player is incapable of working hard and developing his own skills and it can only been done by certain coaches.

Skinner is awful this year. Who do we credit for that? I also see the same people crediting Granato with being this savant like figure when it comes to developing talent but then when I bring up players who actually need to be developed like Krebs they are quickly to dismiss it like no one could help him become better so its not on Granato.
For as awful as Skinner is in lots of aspects, he is still a large reason this team got any wins early in the season. Krebs is just not good. he doesn't have any tools except passing but is not strong enough. I don't know where his supposed IQ is, but it isn't here.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
You believe Granato is a lock to get another head coaching job in the NHL? Based on what exactly? Tage Thompson and some assumption it's all Granato and not Thompson figuring out his game. Just because Granato is better than Kruger doesn't say much. Only an idiot puts Skinner on the 4th line like Ralphie. Granato has ruined Krebs playing him with scrubs. Power is regressing. Samuelsson too. The PP is an absolute joke. The day Buffalo let's him go, he's back as an assistant coach. The guy's resume is thin for one of 32 coveted NHL coaching jobs.

For as awful as Skinner is in lots of aspects, he is still a large reason this team got any wins early in the season. Krebs is just not good. he doesn't have any tools except passing but is not strong enough. I don't know where his supposed IQ is, but it isn't here.

Keep playing Krebs with Okposo.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
What worries me, is that after such a well-played game, Adams and the coaching staff think everything is right back on track. While having won that game emphatically, it's the lack of consistency that stands out. Despite having numerous players out from injury, the team showed that it can play with pace, grit, and compete with the best of them. But again, it's that lack of consistency that is the issue I feel.

How long will it be until we go on another 2,3,4,5 game losing streak?

I still believe Adams and the entire coaching staff need to go, but with performances like last night against the B's, I feel that will just keep everyone in place, keeping the status quo.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Watching Robinson last night, one thing is clear. It Adams wants to cook his prospects, have NHLers in the NHL while that's happening.

Reactions: JLewyB

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
What worries me, is that after such a well-played game, Adams and the coaching staff think everything is right back on track. While having won that game emphatically, it's the lack of consistency that stands out. Despite having numerous players out from injury, the team showed that it can play with pace, grit, and compete with the best of them. But again, it's that lack of consistency that is the issue I feel.

How long will it be until we go on another 2,3,4,5 game losing streak?

I still believe Adams and the entire coaching staff need to go, but with performances like last night against the B's, I feel that will just keep everyone in place, keeping the status quo.
Re the bolded: Probably not very long. It will almost certainly be another 4-6 games before they play like they did last night again.

Reactions: sabres4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad