TV: Riverdale

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I don't watch this show but I thought those that do would be interested in a casting change for next season.

from etcanada.com:

Now that it’s been announced that The CW is renewing “Riverdale†for a second season, producers have confirmed that a different actor will be playing iconic Archie Comics bully Reggie — not because they weren’t happy with the performance, but because the actor who played him in the first season is too busy with other projects.

Ross Butler, seen as Reggie in season one, is also starring in Netflix drama “13 Reasons Whyâ€, and the actor’s busy schedule limited what “Riverdale†writers could do with the character.

rvd102d_0448b.jpg

“We love what Ross did with the role of Reggie [this season], but because of his commitments to other projects, we couldn’t use him nearly as much as we would have liked,†series creator Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa said in a statement to TVLine.

The CW’s decision to cast a new actor in Butler’s role is fuelling speculation that the Selena Gomez-produced “13 Reasons†will likewise return for a second season, even though the show wrapped up with a fairly definitive ending.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
wow, what a turning point. Three weeks ago the wife and I had nothing to watch, and we were about to start this show, then I said, "hey, what about this Scandal show?"

Thank goodness she agreed with me.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Any one still watching? Really dug episode 13

I dig it. Casting has been spot-on, some performances may have been a little too over-the-top, but Season 2 is where most shows usually find their balance. Most of these young actors have big careers ahead of them. Their charisma is surprising. One thing I would like to see is the parents taking more of a background role in the future. Maybe focus more on the Serpents or new threats to our group. Maybe flesh out the supporting cast of teens. Overall Riverdale is fun, guilty pleasure.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I really enjoyed this season. I was so skeptical when I first heard about this, but it was highly addictive. I was hoping to see more Reggie though as I think he's a big part of the gang. I'm curious to see where they go from here.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, I'll say in the end Riverdale fell solidly into the entertaining guilty pleasure category.
The ending was actually a reasonable payoff for all the buildup too.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'd be lying if I didn't say I laughed every time Jughead ate a cheeseburger (which wasn't enough). I was taken aback to see one of the Sprouse twins playing Jug, but he became my favourite character.

The actress playing Betty is absolutely gorgeous. So even if you didn't like anything else, there's that.

Jul 10, 2010
I'd be lying if I didn't say I laughed every time Jughead ate a cheeseburger (which wasn't enough). I was taken aback to see one of the Sprouse twins playing Jug, but he became my favourite character.

The actress playing Betty is absolutely gorgeous. So even if you didn't like anything else, there's that.
dont forget veronica whos hnnnggggg

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think this season will be as good as the first. They are moving this to a good position where they can keep the episodes really engaged. First episode this season was really good.

I think all the dreams or whatever you want to call what Fred was having, will be lowkey big clues. Like for one Archie's mom was sitting with the Blossoms at Archie's wedding.

Betty is my girl.

Last edited:

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Haven't watched the first episode of season 2, but I have it saved.

I was pleasantly surprised by the first one, though, and enjoyed it a lot. Even though I've never had any interest in Archie comics. They did a good job with it, even if it is a bit melodramatic and cheesy at times.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's alright. I finally decided to give it a chance, came in with low expectations and they were easily surpassed so I'm enjoying the ride.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
What is this exactly? I see the commercials for it when I watch Supernatural on the CW website and it seems to only use the old comic book characters names and that's it. Seems like some weird teen love/supernatural(?) show...

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
What is this exactly? I see the commercials for it when I watch Supernatural on the CW website and it seems to only use the old comic book characters names and that's it. Seems like some weird teen love/supernatural(?) show...

It basically uses the names, sets it in a modern town with a bit of a murder mystery/town secrets element.

I didn't follow the comics much but some of the main characters have personalities that would roughly match who they are. Roughly.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I've watched most episodes with my partner but I really don't like it. She digs shows like this (and we watched the animated show when we were kids) so I guess it makes sense but there is just way too much teen drama in this show that is so forced. And don't get me started on how awful the actor playing Archie is. He has an incredibly boring acting style, so despite their attempt to make him this super-cool kid (who seems to be good at everything, singing, school, sports...) he's just so goddamn boring.

I appreciate the overall story, but the characters are all caricatures of high school students. You never get any sense of real struggle's, as the main characters are all popular kids who are good at everything (besides Jughead, who is probably the best character on the show). I did like that Veronica isn't the rich kid stereotype that she is in the source material, but she's ruined by being another character who is good at everything. Besides doing stupid things, you never get the sense that these characters have any flaws.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The problem with the show seems to be unorganization from the producers. From what I’ve heard, they’re writing and filming episodes that are 2-3 weeks away from air date. I also saw an article where they kept putting off introducing the janitor from the first half of S2 until they absolutely had to in the episode before he was caught.

I thought the last episode, however, was the best of the series so far. Had me on the edge the whole episode.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I had to stop watching. The first show ever I had to say no to that my partner liked but I didn't. Think it was the episode with the p***ycat Doll girl betraying Veronica on stage when she was running for school president. Had to walk away.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
okay, this show is like the ultimate guilty pleasure of mine and I feel like it's such a parody of all these teen shows or whatever else the genre is, idk, that it's so bad but I can't look away (plus I like looking at Cheryl).

THAT LAST EPISODE THOUGH???

:laugh:

first damn scene, Cheryl disappears for 5 seconds and comes back with an entire cloak and archery set with her "I only miss on purpose" or whatever line and I lost it. It set the tone for such a ridiculous episode... I mean, it was better than a lot of the season, but it was still so ridiculous that I legitimately asked my friend if he thought the writers and producers were tripping out on something when they wrote it and produced it.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
okay, this show is like the ultimate guilty pleasure of mine and I feel like it's such a parody of all these teen shows or whatever else the genre is, idk, that it's so bad but I can't look away (plus I like looking at Cheryl).

THAT LAST EPISODE THOUGH???

:laugh:

first damn scene, Cheryl disappears for 5 seconds and comes back with an entire cloak and archery set with her "I only miss on purpose" or whatever line and I lost it. It set the tone for such a ridiculous episode... I mean, it was better than a lot of the season, but it was still so ridiculous that I legitimately asked my friend if he thought the writers and producers were tripping out on something when they wrote it and produced it.
I love that show so, so mucb :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad