Proposal: Ristolainen

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Having watched Buffalo quite a lot the past couple of years, it's evident that Ristolainen lacks the speed and defensive awareness to handle first pairing duties, at least on a team like the Sabres.

What they need is a defensive stalwart who can eat 25 minutes of simple shut-down hockey - being the safety net for Dahlin to learn from and solve mistakes for.

How about something like Ristolainen for A.Larsson + 2nd?

Could benefit both teams. Dahlin gets a Swedish mentor, Edmonton gets their PP-defenceman.

Thoughts?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Why? Edmonton needs an offensive quarterback and Buffalo a great defensive-minded defenceman?
I think it's a stretch to say Edmonton would say no. I really doubt Buffalo would consider it though.

The only argument for Edmonton not doing it is that our two best D prospects (Bouchard and Bear) are knocking on the door and are both offensive RHD. But eh... I think the allure of a guy ready to put up ~45 points would be too great to not do the trade.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Having watched Buffalo quite a lot the past couple of years, it's evident that Ristolainen lacks the speed and defensive awareness to handle first pairing duties, at least on a team like the Sabres.

What they need is a defensive stalwart who can eat 25 minutes of simple shut-down hockey - being the safety net for Dahlin to learn from and solve mistakes for.

How about something like Ristolainen for A.Larsson + 2nd?

Could benefit both teams. Dahlin gets a Swedish mentor, Edmonton gets their PP-defenceman.

Thoughts?

No for all the reason you mention with respect to Ristolainen . Add in the fact Edmonton isn't strong enough defensively to trade Larsson who is on a bargain of a contract .

Reactions: KarmaPolice

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ristolainen turns 24. Larsson 26.

Risto is way more talented, you don’t trade talent for grit unless you’re Chiarelli.

Risto may have more talent but Larsson is the better player and is the type of player teams need in the playoffs . Edmonton should not and can not afford to trade the better player on the better contract .

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Easy no. From what I've seen of Larsson, I'm not even sure he's that much better than Risto defensively.

Last edited:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
From what I’ve seen... Ristolainen was kind of rushed to join an organization in terms of changing it. He was supposed to be their #1 for some time.

While he’s a good Dman, I don’t think he has the defensive capability to effectively shut down top opposing competition. He would slot in the top pair on a decent amount of teams, but with a solid D Corp, he seems like a prime #3 Dman.

With a reliant partner and developmental coach he can regain that top pairing material in no time. I don’t think that happens on the Sabres.

I think that a Larsson - Risto swap is a good base. Very comparable Dmen. I also think that he holds more value. The difference between the 2 is marginals for the 2nd rd pick.

Very good proposal accounting for the compatibility of the bases. I would say there needs to be an add on the EDM side. BUF needs those futures. It’s marginal and I’m not trying to be that nit picky, but I think it’s true.

BUF: Ristolainen
EDM: Larsson, 2nd, 5th

Reactions: crossbownerf

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Ristolainen turns 24. Larsson 26.

Risto is way more talented, you don’t trade talent for grit unless you’re Chiarelli.

Risto is more talented and provides more grit than Larsson.

This is not a trade I would consider

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Value is in Edmonton's favour since point production is very valuable. But Risto is awful defensively, pretty bad at ev, gets most of his points on the pp however he is younger. Larsson is a rock solid shut down d that will eat up all the difficult minutes, but wont give you much in terms of point production. He is a physical presence needed in the playoffs (insert Oil missing playoff joke here) and a leader in the room. With our 2 best d prospects being offensive RHD's this makes not a lot of sense for Edmonton. Taking purely value into account this is a yes, but factor in other things and this aint it chief.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This can not be a serious post.

I refuse to believe that it is intended as such.

Every time I tune into Oilers games, I see him getting caught out of position, getting burned by trying to play the puck rather than his man...A lot of the same stuff Risto gets raked over the coals for. Only I never see Larsson getting called out for it. Is it possible my selection of games is just not his best? Sure, but I'm flat-out unimpressed by him from what I've seen.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan I wouldn’t do it because we have Bouchard coming up. You need a good shutdown guy like Larsson and a good offensive D like Risto. If you take away teen needs, etc then Risto is the more valuable player.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Would Ristolainen and a 1st for Trouba be a consideration?

I think that's an overpay for the Sabres, but Risto for Trouba would be a better starting point for any potential deal, if there's any good starting point at all (doubt Sabres are looking to move him).

Larsson gets tossed around these boards because 'OMGz, he got Hall!!11!' when it's greatly over-looked how damn solid Larsson's entire game is. He's the ONLY Dman on the Oilers that when he's on the ice you don't worry about bad goals or bad defensive plays that result in goals against. If we trade him, we either have only Dmen who are a bit weak defensively, or are still developing their defensive game. Nurse will probably be one of those 'rock solid' Dmen this season, as he was for a good half of last season, but he still needs to prove it first and be more consistent the entire season. Now that we have a healthy Larsson back, I predict a monster season from him, though it wont show on the score-sheet because it will mostly be amazing defensive play.

I'd still consider it, but I love Larsson so damn much when he's healthy in mind and body. Maybe if we make the deal bigger and include Bear for a really good and fast defensive Dman coming back? I'm not familiar with Sabres D prospects, so I'm not sure if they have any Dman prospects that would fit that bill. Just some random thoughts. I'm sick and kind of out of it, so I hope that made sense.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Every time I tune into Oilers games, I see him getting caught out of position, getting burned by trying to play the puck rather than his man...A lot of the same stuff Risto gets raked over the coals for. Only I never see Larsson getting called out for it. Is it possible my selection of games is just not his best? Sure, but I'm flat-out unimpressed by him from what I've seen.

It's more that Risto is one of the dumbest defensive defensemen in the league as far as top pair or maybe even top-4 guys go. If his brains were even 1/4 as good as his tools he'd be a Norris contender, but unfortunately that's not the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad