Proposal: Ristolainen moved

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Buffalo is going nowhere and will probably start tanking hardcore for Dahlin soon, if they haven't already started. Ristolainen is not good enough defensively to be "the guy" on an NHL team - and Buffalo is probably starting to realize this. Though, most other teams might not.

Young RH defencemen are worth more than gold in the NHL.

What would teams offer for Risto?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Would love him on the Leafs but I don't think he'll be worth the price that Buffalo will want for him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You want to tank for Dahlin in the hopes that someday you'll be a better team, and your solution is to trade a 23 year old 6'4" right handed defensemen that has scored 40+ points in each of his last two seasons and can someday maybe be Dahlin's partner if the Sabres get Dahlin?

Some good logic going on here OP.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This thread wouldn't have anything to do with that beauty pass he just made to Crosby, now would it?

I'm kind of disappointed he didn't get credit for an A for that in my fantasy league, if we're being honest. That was a beaut of a pass.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes, young RHD are worth a mint. Have you noticed how many of those the Sabres have either in the lineup or on the farm? I'll give you a minute to look.

Ok... back? Did you notice that it is an extremely short list populated by one guy with a long Finnish last name? Dealing him without it being a RHD-for-RHD type of deal doesn't really make all that much sense.

As for "tanking hard for Dahlin", they can go right ahead and be terri-f***ing-ble without moving a damn player off the current roster. They don't need to strip anything out, there is so much work to be done just to get what's there working, no deals necessary.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, young RHD are worth a mint. Have you noticed how many of those the Sabres have either in the lineup or on the farm? I'll give you a minute to look.

Ok... back? Did you notice that it is an extremely short list populated by one guy with a long Finnish last name? Dealing him without it being a RHD-for-RHD type of deal doesn't really make all that much sense.

As for "tanking hard for Dahlin", they can go right ahead and be terri-****ing-ble without moving a damn player off the current roster. They don't need to strip anything out, there is so much work to be done just to get what's there working, no deals necessary.

In all fairness though, Risto is probably five or six on the list you provided!

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Buffalo is not doing another scorched earth rebuild at this time.

So, the only way this even makes sense for their long term success is if they try to move Risto to get a guy like Ekblad, Rielly, Slavin, Klingberg, Parayko, Trouba, Larsson.

Not sure any if those guys are available for Ristolainen though.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I agree that Buffalo should do a bit of heavy-lifting on their roster, and re-orient their rebuild. But Ristolainen isn't a guy they should move. Most contenders have multiple quality defenceman, so even if you get Dahlin, having Ristolainen to play with him is still very beneficial.

Sabres should be selling Evander Kane, Pominville, Pouliot, Gorges, etc. Retain salary if needed to maximize the trade returns, and then probably sign some 1-year UFAs in the off-season that you can sell again next year. I think Buffalo's a few years away from being a playoff team, unless multiple guys start exceeding expectations (which while not impossible, isn't super likely).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yes. For someone who can actually defend like a #1?

What about Larsson + Puljujärvi?

Larsson can defend like a #1? I haven't watched an Oiler game in the past 2 seasons where he hasn't make at least 1 major gaff. Guy has not been the answer for Edmonton and most certainly would not be the answer for Buffalo.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
How does a tank help acquire the #1 pick? It didn't work last draft! Maybe a Ristolainen, Reinhart and their 1st can entice the 1st pick from another team (like the Coyotes if OEL decides to re-sign)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad