News Article: Rishaug says Jim Johnson will not be re-signed

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The Nicholson presser yesterday was puke worthy. The guy basically mumbled his way out of the press conference. ' So Bob, you think why do you think Chiarelli should be bought back' Nicholsons response. " Well Chiarelli has done great things with our scouting which you guys are now aware of " ......... well f*** me Bob.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I believe those 2 had to be renewed no? That's what I kept reading here. Only Woody and Tmac are 'together'

All the Asst Coaches are up for renewal afaik.
Rishaug said he heard or it was heard from a rival GM Johnson wouldn’t be renewed, Woodcroft would be. A rival GM would find this out if Johnson sent word he was on the outs and looking for a contract.
Herbers is speculated to be going back to the UofA as his 3 year sabbatical there is up.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
v1.bTsxMTIwNDc2MTtqOzE3NzI0OzEyMDA7MTUxODsyMDI0

Might as well photoshop Mclellan's and Woodcroft's faces in and edit their names in the starring roles at the top.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Accountability, everybody!

lmao

Coffey will replace him, obviously.

Jesus H Christ. What a gong-show. Coffey has done exactly ZERO THINGS to warrant being signed as an assistant coach. He didn't even put in any real work with the team once he was "unofficially" signed half way through this season. He just lolly-gagged around the team and didn't integrate with the coaches. Great hire, just great.

Reactions: KYams17

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Jesus H Christ. What a gong-show. Coffey has done exactly ZERO THINGS to warrant being signed as an assistant coach. He didn't even put in any real work with the team once he was "unofficially" signed half way through this season. He just lolly-gagged around the team and didn't integrate with the coaches. Great hire, just great.

In case this wasn't clear, I have no source or reason to believe that Coffey replacing him is true.

I'm just assuming that because we're talking about the Edmonton Oilers here.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Update

I just listened to the podcast -
Referenced Specs piece and agrees with it. So there’s that.

Nielsen said Dean Millard got a DM from another NHL exec that JJ was gone.

Talk that Woodcroft would be back. Herbers back to U of A.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So they fire the coach who actually made improvements and adapted, and are (probably) keeping the one who didn't?

I would have fired Woodcroft long before JJ.

Also, how does another team's GM/exec know about this?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
In case this wasn't clear, I have no source or reason to believe that Coffey replacing him is true.

I'm just assuming that because we're talking about the Edmonton Oilers here.

I asked the forum if they think the Oilers are considering Coffey as AC, because from what I am reading and hearing the OBC want to insert one of their own. That one could only be Coffey - unless Huddy returns to coach the D and that isn’t on anyone’s radar.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So they fire the coach who actually made improvements and adapted, and are (probably) keeping the one who didn't?

I would have fired Woodcroft long before JJ.

Also, how does another team's GM/exec know about this?

Perhaps Johnson, knowing he won’t be renewed, is already looking for a new contract and reached out to some contacts he has.

These Execs and GMs love sewering each other via the media and social, so he passes a DM to Millard.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I asked the forum if they think the Oilers are considering Coffey as AC, because from what I am reading and hearing the OBC want to insert one of their own. That one could only be Coffey - unless Huddy returns to coach the D and that isn’t on anyone’s radar.

*crosses fingers*

"please Bill Ranford for goalie coach"

Reactions: Night Witch

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
McLellan and Woodcroft are a package deal. That has always been the case so nobody should be surprised that he is returning.

Frankly after that Spector article I'm concerned about firing Todd would lead to head coach Craig MacTavish.
if he is let go mid season next year ,then yup i could see mac t running the team till the end of the year. if they play well enough. congrats he is the new head coach

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
If it's TMac, Woodboy, and Coach x coming back next year, I will officially no longer have faith for next year unless we miraculously win the lotto.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Jay Woodcroft is going too right? Right?

**** Peter Chiarelli. **** Bob Nicholson. **** Daryl Katz.

Not from them sounds of it, but point the finger at Katz because it sure sounds like Nicholson and Chiarelli are fighting against it.
This is an OBC move through and through from where I sit.
Nicholson and Chiarelli are trying to get the OBC heroin needle out from Katz’ arm. Katz has too many OBC enablers on staff and in his executive. The enablers keep getting him back on the juice.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yaremchuk on 1260 just made a valid point. The Oilers did their pressers ass backwards, which we should not have expected any less.

They went moron (HC)-dumbass (GM)-jackass (Chairman) instead of in reverse order, as most orgs do.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
To be honest, MacT would actually be an upgrade over TM as coach. That's saying something.

MacT did pretty decent with the calibers of rosters he had during his tenure as coach. Never a season as disappointing as this one.

He's an average coach.

TM is a horrible coach.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
McLellan and Woodcroft are a package deal. That has always been the case so nobody should be surprised that he is returning.

Frankly after that Spector article I'm concerned about firing Todd would lead to head coach Craig MacTavish.

Please God no. I want MacTavish Howson and Green fired off into the sun. Lowe should be removed as well.

Let the OBC have their fun as guests of the owner and be seen in and around the arena. There is no need to employ them in positions where they are demonstrably way in over their heads.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
To be honest, MacT would actually be an upgrade over TM as coach. That's saying something.

MacT did pretty decent with the calibers of rosters he had during his tenure as coach. Never a season as disappointing as this one.

He's an average coach.

TM is a horrible coach.

MacT can coach the middling garbage we had.
He can’t handle superstars and has zero judge for talent.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
MacT can coach the middling garbage we had.
He can’t handle superstars and has zero judge for talent.

He never really had a superstar to handle outside of Pronger for one year, which went pretty well.

I don't think he's any great shakes, but he's a better coach than TM. Again, that's not saying much either.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Lowetide is fired up today. Completely fed up with the OBC meddling. Just said one day if he ever reads Katz's son is now coaching the Fort Wayne Comets, is the day he becomes a Flames fan. Added a couple of more "sick of it" comments.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He never really had a superstar to handle outside of Pronger for one year, which went pretty well.

I don't think he's any great shakes, but he's a better coach than TM. Again, that's not saying much either.

I think Pronger handled MacT not the other way around, and then got the hell out of here.
Have to agree to disagree. MacT should only be coaching a struggling low budget team like Tippet in Az. MacT rode Prongers coat tails and a Roloson hot streak. Just my opinion, I respect yours too.

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Exactly. People are so Bipolar on this board its scary.
If you invested in a company for 12 years and you get a net return on your investment for only 1 of of the years and there was no way out of that investment.....

upload_2018-4-13_10-18-28.png

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

When Tim Hortons Coffey was in Edmonton, he was in the pressbox getting drunk with Katz. Is this the new way of coaching? It's so INFURIATING ugh this Old Boys Club NEVER LEARNS. I'll stick with Mclellan and Chiarelli over these morons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad