Ontario
More like

i6dUKAr.jpg

And eventually...

f38.jpg

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It does not take a week to decide to renew on assistant coaches you’ve had for 3 years.

Johnson is gone. I also think discussion with Woodcroft over if would be taking the AHL HC job.

Either way I believe it is contentious and fractious between 2 groups (OBC & Mgmnt) who both have Katz’ ear.

Either way Katz has managed to build a very dysfunctional organization with 2 opinions on the way forward versus one.

All I can say to the Fire Chia crowd is be careful what you wish for.
Would moving from an assistant coaching position of an NHL team to a head coaching position of an AHL team be seen as a promotion or a demotion? I know it’s dropping down a league but it’s also running your own operation. I’m not sure what the Oilers see in Woodcroft to be honest. Whether it be as an assistant here or working with the prospects in the minors. Perhaps the goal is just to get him away from Mclellan’s hip pocket and having him in Bakersfield is the lesser of two evils.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Would moving from an assistant coaching position of an NHL team to a head coaching position of an AHL team be seen as a promotion or a demotion? I know it’s dropping down a league but it’s also running your own operation. I’m not sure what the Oilers see in Woodcroft to be honest. Whether it be as an assistant here or working with the prospects in the minors. Perhaps the goal is just to get him away from Mclellan’s hip pocket and having him in Bakersfield is the lesser of two evils.

If Woodcroft wants to ever be a Head Coach he needs to run his own show at some point in the AHL. It would serve several purposes, 1 - would be bringing the identical developmental and way to play message to Bako as in Edm which we desperately need 2 - removes him from TMacs hip pocket like you say and thus forcing TMac to hire 2 Asst bench coaches versus the one with Johnson and 3 - give Woodcroft Head Coaching reigns thus not being demoted but promoted in a fashion.

Either way I think they start fresh in Bakersfield.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd rather be rid of the whole works. Todd and Woodcroft down the river. Bring back Todd Nelson and let him fill out his staff as well as give input into who he respects at the AHL level and see if any of those coaches are available or try to bring in a proven coach from the CHL for Bakersfield.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
If Woodcroft wants to ever be a Head Coach he needs to run his own show at some point in the AHL. It would serve several purposes, 1 - would be bringing the identical developmental and way to play message to Bako as in Edm which we desperately need 2 - removes him from TMacs hip pocket like you say and thus forcing TMac to hire 2 Asst bench coaches versus the one with Johnson and 3 - give Woodcroft Head Coaching reigns thus not being demoted but promoted in a fashion.

Either way I think they start fresh in Bakersfield.

This would be bad. It means when wrong todd fails at christmas time then woody would be the likely interim coach. Misery abounds.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'd rather be rid of the whole works. Todd and Woodcroft down the river. Bring back Todd Nelson and let him fill out his staff as well as give input into who he respects at the AHL level and see if any of those coaches are available or try to bring in a proven coach from the CHL for Bakersfield.
Todd Nelson was quite supportive of making Gerry Fleming the next head coach in the AHL and I think him not wanting to push Fleming out of his new role is a big reason he didn't want to return, wanted to control his own bench so being an assistant was out of the question and didn't want to force a demotion on his pal Fleming, though with the benefit of hindsight it seems like Fleming failed in his AHL head coaching role. While I believe Todd Nelson is a good coach and possibly ready for a shot as an NHL head coach, I haven't seen the astuteness in him to give him the kind of autonomy you are talking about filling essentially 2 whole coaching staffs.

For AHL head coaches worthy of a look, Sheldon Keefe's results are pretty fantastic, Toronto has done a great job icing a solid AHL roster, but Keefe's done some good work to get the most out of them and their guys have been developing pretty well in addition to winning.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Todd Nelson was quite supportive of making Gerry Fleming the next head coach in the AHL and I think him not wanting to push Fleming out of his new role is a big reason he didn't want to return, wanted to control his own bench so being an assistant was out of the question and didn't want to force a demotion on his pal Fleming, though with the benefit of hindsight it seems like Fleming failed in his AHL head coaching role. While I believe Todd Nelson is a good coach and possibly ready for a shot as an NHL head coach, I haven't seen the astuteness in him to give him the kind of autonomy you are talking about filling essentially 2 whole coaching staffs.

For AHL head coaches worthy of a look, Sheldon Keefe's results are pretty fantastic, Toronto has done a great job icing a solid AHL roster, but Keefe's done some good work to get the most out of them and their guys have been developing pretty well in addition to winning.

The last time we brought a coach from the Marlies we ended up ruining his suit, hair and, more importantly, our team

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The last time we brought a coach from the Marlies we ended up ruining his suit, hair and, more importantly, our team
In Eakins 4 years with the Marlies their average goal differential was +5, in Keefe's 3 years with the Marlies their average goal differential is +75. One number indicates slightly better than average level of play in the AHL the other number indicates outright dominance. Keefe also has a short but successful coaching history in the OHL, where as Eakins really only had 2 fairly good AHL seasons in succession under his belt prior to us hiring him, Keefe has 5 consecutive seasons of coaching fairly dominant teams.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Fair point. Let him fill his staff and let Chia find he new coaching staff for Bako.

In Eakins 4 years with the Marlies their average goal differential was +5, in Keefe's 3 years with the Marlies their average goal differential is +75. One number indicates slightly better than average level of play in the AHL the other number indicates outright dominance. Keefe also has a short but successful coaching history in the OHL, where as Eakins really only had 2 fairly good AHL seasons in succession under his belt prior to us hiring him, Keefe has 5 consecutive seasons of coaching fairly dominant teams.

Who did he coach in juniors? He has had a lot of good players over his time there. Nylander, Kapanen, Sparks, etc. How much of it was that vs. him being a high end coach?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Fair point. Let him fill his staff and let Chia find he new coaching staff for Bako.

Who did he coach in juniors? He has had a lot of good players over his time there. Nylander, Kapanen, Sparks, etc. How much of it was that vs. him being a high end coach?
Keefe coached nurse with the greyhounds.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Rishaug also said the Oilers liked Russell but would only bring him back on a deal that made sense like 3x3.25 and no way they'd give him a 4x4 but Chia did it.

I think Rishaug is full of crap.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
LOL, LOL
Seriously, thats the level of accountability we have now. Have a brutal season, fire an AC???

Reactions: Bangers

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
LOL, LOL
Seriously, thats the level of accountability we have now. Have a brutal season, fire an AC???
Goes to show how much crap is happening behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Seems quite obvious Katz is at crossroads in who he should listen to. If PC was the guy in total control, you have to think Katz would be coming down harder on him.

Seems like Katz doesn't want to just let the OBC and ruin relations with his friends/idols.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->