News Article: Rishaug says Jim Johnson will not be re-signed

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Out of the two, I'm kind of surprised they turfed the PK coach. They almost scored as many goals as our PP did all year.

In all seriousness though, I'm pretty torn about the coaching honestly. I think a wholesale change in the organization all the way down to Bakersfield would do us good, but I think McLellan could get this team back on track with a good special teams. They have their work cut out for them.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Out of the two, I'm kind of surprised they turfed the PK coach. They almost scored as many goals as our PP did all year.

In all seriousness though, I'm pretty torn about the coaching honestly. I think a wholesale change in the organization all the way down to Bakersfield would do us good, but I think McLellan could get this team back on track with a good special teams. They have their work cut out for them.

Todd needs to adapt as a coach, he just rolls lines and it has 100% cost us games this season. When the other team goes up a goal and then he throws out the 4th line because "it's their turn" kills us. I like what he taught the team last year in terms of mental toughness, but he's been very disappointing this year.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wonder how the assessment process is executed. I'm envisioning it like Office Space did it with the Bobs.

'So what would you say...you DO here?'

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Todd needs to adapt as a coach, he just rolls lines and it has 100% cost us games this season. When the other team goes up a goal and then he throws out the 4th line because "it's their turn" kills us. I like what he taught the team last year in terms of mental toughness, but he's been very disappointing this year.

TMac runs his lines like NHL 18's auto line change feature. Everyone gets a chance even if you're the worst option

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
1) They moved Draisaitl out of the high slot for some reason
2) Opposing teams adjusted to take away the cross crease pass to Letestu and Woodcroft didn't have an answer.
They also rarely tried to jam the puck to the net. Just simple things like that that that the a pro level coach should notice a fix immediately. There’s no reason Woodcroft should be kept around.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
So, now we're prepping ourselves to be placated with ... the SH coach being let go?

This franchise is a joke.

Reactions: BlackDogg

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
It didn't look like Tmac was even coaching anymore to be honest. He maybe got his feathers ruffled once on a bad call and after it was far too late to care. Doesn't seem like a guy who is putting Lucic on the ice for OT or in the last minute of the game and is clearly outcoached night after night should be back next year.

poster above is correct, franchise is a running joke.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So, now we're prepping ourselves to be placated with ... the SH coach being let go?

This franchise is a joke.

If that is the only coaching change it will be inexcusable. The whole staff should be gone, Todd doesn't manage worth a **** and Woody led a piss poor PP all season long.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Rishaug was speculating, but made it sound like Herbers back to U of A and Johnson gone.
Is this "the plan" that Nicholson said as fans that we "would all get behind"?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
McLellan and Woodcroft are a package deal. That has always been the case so nobody should be surprised that he is returning.

Frankly after that Spector article I'm concerned about firing Todd would lead to head coach Craig MacTavish.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Woodcroft should of been the one to go. Had entire year to fix a problem but couldn't. I would be genuinely surprised if the players have any confidence left from that atrocious display of special teams and probably blame themselves for lack of execution. I would rather the players draw up the powerplays because Woodcroft doesn't know how utilize them properly.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
This is all so unacceptable to fans. Media will buy into the BS and status quo will be again until turmoil strikes again next year. Just utterly unbelievable.

Reactions: McFuhryous

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Rishaug was speculating, but made it sound like Herbers back to U of A and Johnson gone.

Seriously, that was the best part of his presser. "Believe me, ho ho, when you see this plan, ho boy, just you wait." Who does this guy think he's talking to? He must think that Oilers fans are collectively that one idiot who thinks clip art diagrams are profound additions to an already nonsense presentation.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Well, this team won't even be worth watching next season. Won't be long before either Drai or McDavid get sick of the bs and ask for a trade I'm sure. GJ Oilers!

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I guess we'll see. With neither Chiarelli nor Nicholson exactly falling over themselves to give McLellan a vote of confidence this past week, I wouldn't automatically assume he's going to be back next year. And if he goes, there's no way in hell Woodcroft is sticking around. He's the remora eel stuck to the McLellan whale shark.

That said, with the way this garbage week has gone just watch them all stick around, with "Coffey Time" thrown in there for good measure to be the OBC's snitch.

Man, I'm glad vacation for me starts tomorrow. I need to unplug from this clownshow for a couple weeks.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I believe those 2 had to be renewed no? That's what I kept reading here. Only Woody and Tmac are 'together'

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
I'd be shocked if McLellan is back. It sure didn't sound like he would be during Chia's presser. Frankly, if you're firing his assistants, the captain (or coach in this case) has to go down with the ship. Lets face it, the assistants had no answer for the special team play, but neither did the head coach. Mclellan is done here. Chia deserves to put in his coach because Mclellan wasn't his guy.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Accountability, everybody!

lmao

Coffey will replace him, obviously.

Why does everyone keep spouting coffee when the moron hasn't coached a single NHL game and the guy didn't even WANT to help at that capacity? Adding another OBC buffoon is going to ruin us even more. Mark my words

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think Jim Johnson should be fired. Dont get me wrong.

But at least the guy somewhat fixed the PK in the last 1/3 of the season. Not to mention that they were #1 on the road and #31 at home. Which sort of means it kinda worked.

The PP never worked this year. It was never fixed at any point. So why would Woodcroft even be considered? Because hes TM's best friend?

Ridiculous.

Mclellan took over the PK, which is why it got better i believe.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Penalty kill seemed to get better since Coffey arrived. Powerplay still useless.

Why does everyone think Tim Hortons Coffey coached the PK? He was only a skills coach. Mclellan took over the PK didn't he?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
One of Nicholson's job was to provide oversight from a voice that's disassociated from the good ol' days. If this report is true, and now there are corroborating reports, I suddenly have a little sympathy for Chiarelli and McLellan.

Exactly what Rishaug was saying vis a vis oversight and distance from the OBC. Be interesting to see how it plays out. If this turns into another tip of the hat to the OBC then it doesn’t matter who runs the show, Nicholson, Chiarelli, The Pope, it won’t matter because the OBC will be calling the actual shots.

The nervous feeling that the OBC was still in control when MacT Howson Lowe and Green were retained Post Chiarelli seems to be rearing it’s head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad