Post-Game Talk: Rip dat bandaid off fast doe, Pens season ends, 2-1 (4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
If Dejan is right about both Shero and Bylsma being gone and taking more steps to protect Crosby and Malkin, I might do a backflip.

Granted, I'll likely break my neck in the attempt, but at least I'll be able to watch a team with some semblance of self respect and toughness while I'm recovering.

I should be freaking out or throwing stuff, instead I feel oddly cathartic. The way this team has been run has beat the emotion out of me. I can't imagine how Crosby or Malkin feel, but I bet it's 1,000 times worse.

It might have been worse, but from here on out its only going to get better.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If Dejan is right about both Shero and Bylsma being gone and taking more steps to protect Crosby and Malkin, I might do a backflip.

Granted, I'll likely break my neck in the attempt, but at least I'll be able to watch a team with some semblance of self respect and toughness while I'm recovering.

I should be freaking out or throwing stuff, instead I feel oddly cathartic. The way this team has been run has beat the emotion out of me. I can't imagine how Crosby or Malkin feel, but I bet it's 1,000 times worse.

It would be ironic should you break your neck as our team rediscovers its spine!

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The only options I see are Miller and Hiller.

So:

1) a goalie who kinda stunk for St. Louis, but I might be willing to forgive, simply because it seems like big names can't move mid-season and be themselves that year.

2) a goalie whose team seems desperate to NOT play?

SIGN ME UP

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Yup. I will add that he's not just bad at puckhandling, he THINKS he's good. That is a double-dose of trouble.

Plus, he is bad at communicating with his D-men (and vice-versa). SO, that is part coaching and part a bad fit in goal.

Absolutely, but his decision-making is the worst part IMO.

Writing about Fleury's puckhandling make me miss Conklin lol

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't think we can stick with Fleury because HE CANNOT PLAY THE PUCK, cannot NOT play the puck, cannot do anything behind his net. His desire to touch the puck on every dump in creates more scoring chances for the opposition than anything else.

Yeah, he's brutal. I generally think that most goalies think they're better at handling the puck than they really are but Fleury is a special kind of bad.

I feel like there's at least one "Stay in your ****ing net, Fleury" moment for me every game.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, he's brutal. I generally think that most goalies think they're better at handling the puck than they really are but Fleury is a special kind of bad.

I feel like there's at least one "Stay in your ****ing net, Fleury" moment for me every game.

I always find myself thinking, "this is a guy who never wanted to be a goalie. He wants to be a skater. He wants the puck on his stick all the time."

I mean, I have no clue if that's true, but that's the vibe I get from him.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
So:

1) a goalie who kinda stunk for St. Louis, but I might be willing to forgive, simply because it seems like big names can't move mid-season and be themselves that year.

2) a goalie whose team seems desperate to NOT play?

SIGN ME UP

I can't think of any other options. Miller is better, but I don't understand Anaheim's issue with Hiller.

Miller might like coming here or he might hate it. On one hand, he wouldn't have to play against Crosby anymore. On the other, seeing him everyday might cause him to lose his mind.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There is also the possibility that we may be able to trade Fleury to a team for their goalie. That happens sometimes.

We don't need a 'proven' winner, either. When we have what it takes to win, we'll have a proven winner in goal.

There will be a decent goalie market this summer, if we include trade possibilities.

This is where scouting and doing our homework matters, big time.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Did you watch the goals? What part of either was on MAF??? A 3 on 1 where the guy got in alone and tipped the shot and Richards wide open in the crease. :shakehead

yeah, flopping around like a seal on the 2nd goal just screams excellent positioning

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
At the very least you bring in a 'tender that can compete and take over the starting job but i agree with most. I'd rather Fleury just be dealt.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
These rumors about Bylsma being gone and how Mario has wanted a change just pisses me off even more. Why waste another year, when they easily could have replaced him after they started struggling post-Olympics ? Giving this team the spark they needed like in 09 . That was their chance.

And regular season record doesn't matter, considering the talent his team has. Everybody knows it wouldn't matter who is coaching the Pens and they could still be one of the top teams , so they certainly wouldn't have taken any heat for doing so.

5 years of the same BS is unacceptable . We can thank the jackets and rangers for repeatedly going after Crosby, I guess that finally made Mario realize this team was built like **** . Out of all my years watching sports I've never seen a teams star player( let alone two for us) take so much abuse without having anyone to protect. Amazing.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I can't think of any other options. Miller is better, but I don't understand Anaheim's issue with Hiller.

Miller might like coming here or he might hate it. On one hand, he wouldn't have to play against Crosby anymore. On the other, seeing him everyday might cause him to lose his mind.

I would hesitate on either simply because I feel like the Pens actually have long term solutions in the system now, and Miller won't sign with the Pens for anything less than 6 years. Maybe I'm wrong. If he'd do something in the 4 year range, I'd likely be all for it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
These rumors about Bylsma being gone and how Mario has wanted a change just pisses me off even more. Why waste another year, when they easily could have replaced him after they started struggling post-Olympics ? Giving this team the spark they needed like in 09 . That was their chance.

And regular season record doesn't matter, considering the talent his team has. Everybody knows it wouldn't matter who is coaching the Pens and they could still be one of the top teams , so they certainly wouldn't have taken any heat for doing so.

5 years of the same BS is unacceptable . We can thank the jackets and rangers for repeatedly going after Crosby, I guess that finally made Mario realize this team was built like **** . Out of all my years watching sports I've never seen a teams star player( let alone two for us) take so much abuse without having anyone to protect. Amazing.

There was probably a slim glimmer of hope that "DB was young and finding his way. he's the US Olympic coach." Mario didn't want to break up the big happy family just yet.

Then this year happened.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'd try to pick up someone like Hiller, then trade Fleury to Winnipeg.

They just want to make a run at a playoff spot, and Fleury is fine for that. Ondrej Pavelec makes Fleury look like Ken Dryden. And I mean hockey player Dryden, not the 60 year old politician version that he looks like compared to everyone else.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I always find myself thinking, "this is a guy who never wanted to be a goalie. He wants to be a skater. He wants the puck on his stick all the time."

I mean, I have no clue if that's true, but that's the vibe I get from him.

Maybe. I think that, because of his delicate psyche and Meloche being a joke, it's never been corrected and now no one will. He ****ing thinks he's good at it and that it's something he's supposed to be doing.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I would hesitate on either simply because I feel like the Pens actually have long term solutions in the system now, and Miller won't sign with the Pens for anything less than 6 years. Maybe I'm wrong. If he'd do something in the 4 year range, I'd likely be all for it.

I do, too. It's just a matter of when they'll be ready. If we don't keep Fleury, what do we do? Zatkoff shouldn't be starting. I don't know if Vokoun can still play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad