Celtics/NBA RIP #6 Bill Russell (1934-2022)

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Bill's final game as a player and coach.

INGLEWOOD, Calif. -- In 1969, the Boston Celtics won the seventh game of the championship series at the Forum, where thousands of celebratory balloons were held in nets high overhead. Red Auerbach said Saturday the Lakers' assumption of victory gave the Celtics extra incentive.

'I noticed them when I walked in,' he said. 'I was doing the color (commentary on television). After we won, I asked, 'What is Jack Kent Cooke going to do with all those damn balloons?' What they did was make the biggest mistake you could make in sports.

'They had a mimeographed sheet and they gave it out to everybody; we all got a copy of it. It said, 'After the Lakers win, this player should go here and that player should go there and the balloons will be released from the four corners of the building.' And it all backfired.'

Thanks for posting the video. Never gets old. Classic Russell -- huge infectious smile, giving all the credit to his teammates. Also great to see Havlicek. You can tell in the post-game interview how much love he and Russell had for each other. Russell retired about the time I was born, but of course I knew all about him since he was still talked about a lot in the 70s in Boston. Hearing about Russell's legendary feats and watching Havlicek are the reasons I became a massive Celtics fan as a kid growing up in Boston. And of course the 1980s Celtics teams were pure magic for me as a kid/teenager. Reflecting on things, it's amazing to think about what Russell helped establish in terms of Boston sports culture and success down the road.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
NBA TV was all over this as well....especially the 6 months in Sacramento when Russell coached the Kings and drafted Kenny" the Jet" Smith.... the edict was Kenny couldn't sit with his teammates that whole season because Russell demanded he sit next to Russell no matter where he went.... remember Russell also coached Seattle when the Sonics were there as well.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This actually happened to Bill Russell when he was a CBS broadcaster

Unfortunately, Russell’s most memorable moment as a broadcaster was an awkward, awful indignity forced upon him by his clueless broadcast partners.

Early in the second half of Game 5 of the 1981 NBA Finals between the Celtics and Rockets, Bender showed Russell some candid celebration photos of the 1956 men’s Olympic basketball team, which Russell had led to the gold medal.

“Who do you think that is in that picture?” said Bender to Russell’s fellow analyst, Rick Barry.

“I don’t know,” said Barry. “It looks like some fool with that big watermelon grin back there to the left.”

Barry later apologized to Russell, and said that he didn’t know the phrase “watermelon grin” had racial connotations. But during the broadcast, he couldn’t let the bit about the photos go, even as Russell attempted to ignore him.

“All right, who is that guy?” said Bender, nearly as oblivious as Barry.

Russell looks at the monitor, looks at Bender, and raises his eyebrows slightly.

“That’s you, Bill,” said Barry. “Don’t you recognize that picture?”

Russell: “Nope.”

Stunningly, it continues from there, with Barry pointing out a “funny hat” in another picture, dismissing Russell’s suggestion that it’s actually K.C. Jones in one of the photos, and offers Russell, who refuses to look at him, more photos.

“I think we better leave it alone,” says Bender, whose tone is like a guffaw put to words.

Barry, who during his playing days was once described by teammate Billy Paultz as a player whom half the league disliked and the other half hated, didn’t get the hint.

He continues to pester Russell about the photos — in the middle of an NBA Finals game — tapping him with them and saying, “Bill! Bill! Don’t you want these pictures, Bill?”

Finally, Russell, composed but crystal clear, says, “No, I don’t want them.”

The game aired on tape delay at 11:30 p.m., so Barry’s obnoxious behavior didn’t come close to drawing the instant and deserved scorn it would these days.

CBS did drop Barry after those Finals, while Russell was paired with Dick Stockton through the 1982-83 season. Russell was replaced by a more naturally gregarious television personality for 1983-84: Tommy Heinsohn.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
This actually happened to Bill Russell when he was a CBS broadcaster

Unfortunately, Russell’s most memorable moment as a broadcaster was an awkward, awful indignity forced upon him by his clueless broadcast partners.

Early in the second half of Game 5 of the 1981 NBA Finals between the Celtics and Rockets, Bender showed Russell some candid celebration photos of the 1956 men’s Olympic basketball team, which Russell had led to the gold medal.

“Who do you think that is in that picture?” said Bender to Russell’s fellow analyst, Rick Barry.

“I don’t know,” said Barry. “It looks like some fool with that big watermelon grin back there to the left.”

Barry later apologized to Russell, and said that he didn’t know the phrase “watermelon grin” had racial connotations. But during the broadcast, he couldn’t let the bit about the photos go, even as Russell attempted to ignore him.

“All right, who is that guy?” said Bender, nearly as oblivious as Barry.

Russell looks at the monitor, looks at Bender, and raises his eyebrows slightly.

“That’s you, Bill,” said Barry. “Don’t you recognize that picture?”

Russell: “Nope.”

Stunningly, it continues from there, with Barry pointing out a “funny hat” in another picture, dismissing Russell’s suggestion that it’s actually K.C. Jones in one of the photos, and offers Russell, who refuses to look at him, more photos.

“I think we better leave it alone,” says Bender, whose tone is like a guffaw put to words.

Barry, who during his playing days was once described by teammate Billy Paultz as a player whom half the league disliked and the other half hated, didn’t get the hint.

He continues to pester Russell about the photos — in the middle of an NBA Finals game — tapping him with them and saying, “Bill! Bill! Don’t you want these pictures, Bill?”

Finally, Russell, composed but crystal clear, says, “No, I don’t want them.”

The game aired on tape delay at 11:30 p.m., so Barry’s obnoxious behavior didn’t come close to drawing the instant and deserved scorn it would these days.

CBS did drop Barry after those Finals, while Russell was paired with Dick Stockton through the 1982-83 season. Russell was replaced by a more naturally gregarious television personality for 1983-84: Tommy Heinsohn.

I had read several times that Rick Barry was a first class asshole but this.... :madfire:

Reactions: Fenway and CDJ

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Guys like Jordan and LeBron and Kobe pale in comparison to Russell. They are just guys with immense talent who make nobody around them better

Bill, Magic and Bird, Frazier. Guys like that are the GOATS

Winners supreme. Sacrificed parts of their game for the best team interests. Made everyone around them better. People don't understand Russell averaged 14 a game and could have averaged 24 or more, just didn't have to
Really? Jordan didn't make anyone around him better?

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Really? Jordan didn't make anyone around him better?
Michael Jordan is the sole reason anyone has ever heard of Scottie Pippen, let alone believe he's one of the NBA's top 50 players ever. Michael Jordan is the sole reason BJ Armstrong made an All-Star team. Just two examples.

That said, those guys' roles (and everyone else's) on all those Bulls teams was to make it possible for Mike to do his thing. Four players working to make sure that MJ had room to operate. Russell's role was to make it possible for the other four guys to do their thing and to create the room for four others to operate.

Celtics - one for all. Bulls - All for one. Not a judgment, and the Bulls probably would have won the years Jordan was "experimenting" with baseball, so there's obviously a track record of championships similar to the Celtics' run in the 60s. But it's probably why they are perceived differently, as far as their impact on their teammates' success.

Reactions: EvilDead and BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Michael Jordan is the sole reason anyone has ever heard of Scottie Pippen, let alone believe he's one of the NBA's top 50 players ever. Michael Jordan is the sole reason BJ Armstrong made an All-Star team. Just two examples.

I had a boss once who insisted all off hours calls came to him, and all he did was immediately forward them to me. But of course he collected his guaranteed overtime (2 hours) for each 30 second call. One day he pissed me off enough with some smart comment about how he handles all calls and I blurted out "That's you being Scottie Pippen, your only move is to pass it to Jordan!"

He wasn't too happy about that, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 08SeaBass08

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Pre Season schedule is out:

2 games w/ TOR (1 @ Centre Bell (Montreal);
2 games w/ CHA (1 @ Greensboro (home of the G-League Swarm)

1st 12-15 days in October

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When Bill Russell became the first African-American to get a head coaching job in any pro sport the late Bud Collins wrote the perfect column.

clip_107024498.jpg

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Im watching NBA TV 2016 Finals Game 7.

F Durant if we want to trade with Brooklyn we should really be focused on ripping them off for the best player in the NBA and my favorite athlete Kyrie. He is a hero to me for the stand he made sticking up for us.

I love that guy and the petulant spat the media egged on was pathetic too same stuff Russell went through I heard what someone called him in the bathroom at a playoff game when they were chanting F him. Disgusting.

White and a bunch of picks sounds good to me bring him back!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: EverettMike

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
😐😑

I will go on record as saying I will drink no less than half a bottle of bleach and become an OKC Thunder fan (provided my unlikely survival) if Kyrie ever disgraces this great uniform and legendary franchise again

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
😐😑

I will go on record as saying I will drink no less than half a bottle of bleach and become an OKC Thunder fan (provided my unlikely survival) if Kyrie ever disgraces this great uniform and legendary franchise again

Durant could have joined us as a FA in 2017 he picked GS like a punk.

Kyrie bounced when the organization trashed him after one bad playoff run. He didn't hurt the team like loser Hayward did or take less money. Fans thought Kemba Walker was better.

Clown fanbase.

Kemba or Kyrie .... derp derp Kemba is better.

The media fueled spat is embarrassing its not even about basketball. I don't want to bring Durant here just get the best PG in a trade he wants to win.

Its phony as hell to say you appreciate Bill Russell and then trash the most prominent living Native American.

Tell me what Native American is more famous than Kyrie Irving?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
To compare time lines is a futility.

Bill was the best

@Donnie Shulzhoffer

Russell played 22 winner take all games between college, the Olympics, and the NBA

He was 22-0

Between 1957 and 1969 the Celtics failed to win it all twice. Russell was injured in both 1958 and 1967. Of the 11 banners the Celtics won in that era how many would they have won without him?

Reactions: EvilDead

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Durant could have joined us as a FA in 2017 he picked GS like a punk.

Kyrie bounced when the organization trashed him after one bad playoff run. He didn't hurt the team like loser Hayward did or take less money. Fans thought Kemba Walker was better.

Clown fanbase.

Kemba or Kyrie .... derp derp Kemba is better.

The media fueled spat is embarrassing its not even about basketball. I don't want to bring Durant here just get the best PG in a trade he wants to win.

Its phony as hell to say you appreciate Bill Russell and then trash the most prominent living Native American.

Tell me what Native American is more famous than Kyrie Irving?

Who gives a f*** if he's native tribesman or not. The guy is a horse's ass that is so vain and self obsessed, narcissus would looking away in disgust. He is the living embodiment of Livia Soprano. A self centered, conceited, egomaniac who should learn to shut his mouth and not make everything about himself. If anything, he probably makes things worse for the native tribes of the US because they have to deal with the fact that the most famous person of their kindred spirits isn't a great ambassador like Jacoby Ellsbury, Johnny Bench, or whomever but this self centered douche who takes any serious issue in America and tries to find a way to make it about himself. His name should be changed to He Who Runs Mouth like River because Kyrie never learns to just shut the f*** up.

FURTHERMORE, to mention that little worm in the same breath as one of the greatest ambassadors the NBA has ever had and a man with class who deserved none of the racial abuse and hatred thrown his way at him in Bill Russell is the most sickening thing anyone could do. Russell did more for his community than Kyrie Irving could ever do for either one he represents.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Bill Russell was the right player at the right time. His rivalry with Wilt is what kept the NBA relevant in the eyes of the public and the both of them helped create the stepping stone for the NBA to help climb and then launch themselves into their next era. It's a good thing that the Celtics had someone like Red Auerbach and Walter A Brown who could see past the racial bs and treat Russell the way he deserved. A classy individual and one of the smartest minds in his sport and outside of it. It's a shame it took so long to mend the broken fences with him and the Celtics, but I am glad that the team and the fans were able to reconcile with the greatest player who ever put on that uniform. The NBA lost an important titan to the sport forever and it will be lesser for it.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I mean a white guy quit the team for more money when we were right there about to win a title. We would have beat LA in the weirdo bubble if Butler and Miami didn’t pull that series out of their ass.

We were the best team and he dumped us.

Kyrie joined the Nets to be closer to home and Celtics fans thought Kemba was an upgrade.

One guy gets a pass the other is a villain what’s the difference between the two? I go to take a piss at halftime and it’s F Kyrie chants in the bathroom and someone called him that word it’s disgusting. Was the same shit the 2011 series vs Montreal

Irving is an elite player you can get him in a trade for not many assets and get the rest of his prime he’s the guy we should target. He doesn’t have much mileage either for a guy his age who’s had some injuries. The game is more guard oriented right now too no one is going McHale Parish to win anymore.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I mean a white guy quit the team for more money when we were right there about to win a title. We would have beat LA in the weirdo bubble if Butler and Miami didn’t pull that series out of their ass.

We were the best team and he dumped us.

Kyrie joined the Nets to be closer to home and Celtics fans thought Kemba was an upgrade.

One guy gets a pass the other is a villain what’s the difference between the two? I go to take a piss at halftime and it’s F Kyrie chants in the bathroom and someone called him that word it’s disgusting. Was the same shit the 2011 series vs Montreal

Irving is an elite player you can get him in a trade for not many assets and get the rest of his prime he’s the guy we should target. He doesn’t have much mileage either for a guy his age who’s had some injuries. The game is more guard oriented right now too no one is going McHale Parish to win anymore.
when Steven A Smith goes off on Kyrie..... that's why Kyrie is persona non grata, Brad..... everywhere's he's been

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad