Celtics/NBA RIP #6 Bill Russell (1934-2022)

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
CSawdxfSd0J3_YBTF5YLO3Qqo7oCDHjpwmKCBqdkqv4.jpg

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Damn. RIP.

Celtics legend Bill Russell, one of basketball’s biggest icons and one of the greatest winners in sports history, died Sunday at age 88.

“Bill Russell, the most prolific winner in American sports history, passed away peacefully today at age 88,” read a statement on Russell’s official Twitter account, “with his wife, Jeannine, by his side. Arrangements for his memorial service will be announced soon.”

A two-time NCAA champion, Russell was the NBA’s first Black star and played his entire career with the Celtics, winning an unprecedented 11 NBA titles along with five Most Valuable Player awards. He won two more championships as coach of the Celtics — also the first Black head coach in one of the four major North American sports — before leaving the game and devoting much of his life to philanthropy and civil rights activism.

Bill Russell was the greatest champion in all of team sports,” NBA commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement. “The countless accolades that he earned for his storied career with the Boston Celtics – including a record 11 championships and five MVP awards – only begin to tell the story of Bill’s immense impact on our league and broader society.

“Bill stood for something much bigger than sports: the values of equality, respect and inclusion that he stamped into the DNA of our league. At the height of his athletic career, Bill advocated vigorously for civil rights and social justice, a legacy he passed down to generations of NBA players who followed in his footsteps. Through the taunts, threats and unthinkable adversity, Bill rose above it all and remained true to his belief that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity.

“For nearly 35 years since Bill completed his trailblazing career as the league’s first Black head coach, we were fortunate to see him at every major NBA event, including the NBA Finals, where he presented the Bill Russell Trophy to the Finals MVP.

“I cherished my friendship with Bill and was thrilled when he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I often called him basketball’s Babe Ruth for how he transcended time. Bill was the ultimate winner and consummate teammate, and his influence on the NBA will be felt forever. We send our deepest condolences to his wife, Jeannine, his family and his many friends.”

No cause of death was provided.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Don't tell Bob Cousy he's part of that "heavenly trio", because he's very much alive, HUTCH.
Protect Cousy at all costs.

Growing up my dad and aunt always told us that what we were witnessing in the 80's was made possible because of what Bill Russell and Red Auebach did on and off the court. They told us the stories of Red having Bill and the other players backs when they were openly discriminated against and they taught us that no matter what Bill went through, he loved Boston with every fiber of his being.

We were taught that he played the game the right way and if we wanted to look up to an athlete to look up to him or to someone who was like him. It is probably why I loved Reggie Lewis so much.

Bill has done more for this city than he ever realized. I may not have seen him play but I feel so lucky to have seen those magical years in the 80's (even if I was really young) and now to watch as his legacy of what he stood for on and off the court comes full circle with Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Marcus Smart, Al Horford and now Malcolm Brogden.

#6 must be permanently retired around the league and I hope there is a huge tribute night for him this season because he deserves it and so much more.

For those who have younger kids who love the C's, please teach them about Bill and what he did on and off the court and why it is so important that he be remembered. Teach them about what Red did and what Tommy, KC and all of the other greats did.

This hurts a lot.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Protect Cousy at all costs.

I read an article earlier in the year about Cousy and how he lives alone in a one-bedroom apartment in Worcester and his heat went out over the winter. Crazy to think that a living legend of his sport lives in those conditions but the man's humility is off the charts.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
This is hitting me hard. Normally with a massive sports legend their sports career shines more than anything else about them. At least to me, Russell off the court was every bit as legendary as his incredible basketball career. I know he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but sometimes society needs those kind of people. Simply a beautiful human being who was a fighter and wonderfully courageous. I hope that some of the young fans take the time to self-educate themselves about Bill's remarkable life. RIP, champ.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I read an article earlier in the year about Cousy and how he lives alone in a one-bedroom apartment in Worcester and his heat went out over the winter. Crazy to think that a living legend of his sport lives in those conditions but the man's humility is off the charts.
One of the most humble people out there for sure.

It was Bob and Tommy before it was Tommy and Mike.

We are such a lucky fan base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad