Celtics/NBA RIP #6 Bill Russell (1934-2022)

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
RIP for Bill. By all accounts, a great teammate, a great man, and a great human being for all he has done during his time here. Doesn't get much better than that in paying it forward so others can achieve their goals and do the same.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
RIP for Bill. By all accounts, a great teammate, a great man, and a great human being for all he has done during his time here. Doesn't get much better than that in paying it forward so others can achieve their goals and do the same.
He was also very active in civil rights.

RIP sir

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
He was also very active in civil rights.

RIP sir
Indeed he was. Guys like Russell, Jim Brown, and Ali bucked the idea that they were just supposed to smile and take whatever a racist society dished out to them. Those dudes, and others like them, were of a generation in which they walked a tightrope when it came to maintaining their jobs, while at the same time pushing back against accepted racial norms of society. They all did an incredible job, and American sport and society is much much better because of their courage and amazing job of walking through the societal minefields.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
The GOAT in every way. 88 is so young too. Sad day for basketball. Sad day for the Celtics and the city of Boston.

I know the sordid history. I'm not focusing on that today, as much as some twitter "activists" want to engage in that narrative. Bill fought for justice. And he saw how Boston changed. We've come a long way.

My condolences to his wife and children during this time.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Never forget Russell led the boycott of the exhibition game in Kentucky after Sam Jones and Satch Sanders were refused service at the hotel coffee shop. Then Walter Brown, a man ahead of his time, not only supported the boycott 100%, he chastised Red for playing the game at all. He said the whole team should've walked out.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Never forget Russell led the boycott of the exhibition game in Kentucky after Sam Jones and Satch Sanders were refused service at the hotel coffee shop. Then Walter Brown, a man ahead of his time, not only supported the boycott 100%, he chastised Red for playing the game at all. He said the whole team should've walked out.
That incident changed Red for the better.

build him a 2nd statue
Put it outside the garden next to Bobby.

They should also move the original statue from the side of city hall to the front.

Boston HAS to do something to honor a man who could have turned his back and held a grudge. Instead, Bill Russell chose love, forgiveness and sought to educate the city as much as he could.

Reactions: CDJ and jgatie

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
My parents raised their 7 kids to have no concept of race, to judge a person by the content of their character, which bucked a lot of sentiments in Boston of the 60s and 70s. I know my dad got that concept from the Navy, where he had more in common with the black sailors than the rednecks. But my mom, it was her love of the Celtics, especially Bill Russell, that showed her the right side to be on during those turbulent times.

Godspeed to a towering figure, and my condolences to his family.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bill's final game as a player and coach.

INGLEWOOD, Calif. -- In 1969, the Boston Celtics won the seventh game of the championship series at the Forum, where thousands of celebratory balloons were held in nets high overhead. Red Auerbach said Saturday the Lakers' assumption of victory gave the Celtics extra incentive.

'I noticed them when I walked in,' he said. 'I was doing the color (commentary on television). After we won, I asked, 'What is Jack Kent Cooke going to do with all those damn balloons?' What they did was make the biggest mistake you could make in sports.

'They had a mimeographed sheet and they gave it out to everybody; we all got a copy of it. It said, 'After the Lakers win, this player should go here and that player should go there and the balloons will be released from the four corners of the building.' And it all backfired.'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad