#Rinne4Vezina...habs lose 3-2 OT

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
I never understood the need of Flin/Mitchell..

The team looked better before those 3 trades.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Dunno i don't consider half a season a long time.

Well, without getting too deep into semantics, Galchenyuk wasn't even in junior for a "long time", really. But it bears mentioning that we're talking about the most recent third or so of his junior career sample, whatever that's worth.

But whatever. I think he should be a centre already.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
It could be worse since his defensive game isn't a strong point of his. As for DD, he's a better passer and better vision then Galchenyuk.

I'm starting to get tired of hearing this.

If he's that good, he wouldn't only managed to get about 35 assists a season . The guy plays with a 35+g scorers FFS, it's not like his extraordinary passing skills goes to waste because there's no one to complete his great pass.

It's like saying a player is a great scorer that scores only 15g a year despite playing on the first line and ever PP. At one point, if he's not effective we need to give the chance to another player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't necessarily agree. I find DD's passing ability to be extremely overrated by habs fans, both proponents and detractors. For every amazing pass he makes, he makes 4 or 5 really ridiculous dumb passes, both in terms of accuracy and general creativity. For a player who's ability is strictly playmaking, I find he has a hard time creating plays consistently when not paired with Max Pacioretty. When DD's passes get through, they are usually smooth and tape to tape which gives off the appearance of high passing ability, but he makes so many forced and telegraphed passes, too many for me to say that he's that much better than Chucky and has superior vision.

Let's not forget that Chucky doesn't really get the benefit of playing at centre ice which suits his style of play a lot more. We haven't really allowed Galchenyuk to exploit and show off his talent. DD appears like the better passer because he gets the benefit of playing with team's best sniper, one of the best in the league, not to mention that all he does is pass.

I really don't know what the Habs are waiting for. DD has played almost 70% of his season next a possible 40 goal scorer and 70 point player and might not even crack 50 points this year. When you add in all the PP time and favorable offensive assignments, it just isn't good enough. The fact that team has a potentially better offensive centre just makes it even worse.

well when it comes to DD I find most Hab fans leave their objectivity out the door. It's like just bringing up his name creates some posters to stop thinking and start hating. If you think any other forward on the team is a better passer then DD then that's fine but I wouldn't agree. I know he's easily the most hated Hab I have ever seen but I try to call things how I see it and to me he can dish the puck for sure. As for his passing being extremely overrated that's completely impossible since most posts about DD are just wishing him to fall down a well or take up creative dancing full time. I don't read the DD threads so maybe someone is sticking up for him there but from the threads I read it's usually all bash DD all the time.

As for Galchenyuk, what makes you say his game is better suited at center?

If he's that good, he wouldn't only managed to get about 35 assists a season . The guy plays with a 35+g scorers FFS, it's not like his extraordinary passing skills goes to waste because there's no one to complete his great pass.

It's like saying a player is a great scorer that scores only 15g a year despite playing on the first line and ever PP. At one point, if he's not effective we need to give the chance to another player.

keep in mind he's 5'6 in the NHL and playing on a team that has 1 sniper and not a lot of talent among the forwards. The other problem with his stats is he's not been very good this season and had a terrible 1st half last year. Before the lockout he had 44 assists and led the team in that department.

I know almost everyone hates DD, I watched just about every game he played in the AHL and there's no way I could agree that his passing isn't good. He made some highlight reel passes but for whatever reason he struggled so badly at the start of last year, then had a really good 2nd half. Now this year he's not having a good season but he can still dish the puck it's just not resulting in goals like it has in the past.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I also think DD is a very good playmaker and passer.

Lacking in many areas, but this isn't one of them. It's also harder to be a great passer when you choose to only pass to one guy (for the most part), so that's on him. People have adjusted. He should shoot more.

I would say that he's at the very least more patient with the puck when he has possession than is Galchenyuk at this moment. I hope Chucky can relax a little bit and not try to force it all the time. It'll come.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
keep in mind he's 5'6 in the NHL and playing on a team that has 1 sniper and not a lot of talent among the forwards. The other problem with his stats is he's not been very good this season and had a terrible 1st half last year. Before the lockout he had 44 assists and led the team in that department.

I know almost everyone hates DD, I watched just about every game he played in the AHL and there's no way I could agree that his passing isn't good. He made some highlight reel passes but for whatever reason he struggled so badly at the start of last year, then had a really good 2nd half. Now this year he's not having a good season but he can still dish the puck it's just not resulting in goals like it has in the past.

I am aware that he's better than average in passing skill but in the end, it's not that effective, not for the role we are giving him. I'm not questioning his passing and vision but his effectiveness. You can be labeled as great a playmaker but if you only get 35 assists as a first center playing with a 35 goals scorer and on every PP, you're not getting the job done.

We can't have a 50 pts 1st center forever that gets all the offensive minutes. It doesn't cut it. To me, DD has peaked, what we saw is what we get, nothing more.

Galchenyuk to me looked better in the same role. He's more effective and more productive. Of course there's some part of his game as center that needs to be worked on but he can't work on it if he's not playing center. Let's not pretend like he was a failure when tried at center this season, he EASILY as good or even better than DD.

Yeah I get that if we put Galchenyuk on center would create a whole on the left side but who cares, we are losing important development time for Galchenyuk at center.

And it's not like we ABSOLUTELY have to put Galchenyuk as our first center, why not put him on the 2nd line, he'd have less responsibilities and we'd actually have a good first line (with Plekanec), that can be good on both sides of the ice.

I've said this a million time, Galchenyuk should center Eller and Gallagher on the 2nd line, put Eller in center when we need a face-off or to protect a lead.

Weise-DD-DSP on the third line. It's not that bad for a third line.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Lacking in many areas, but this isn't one of them. It's also harder to be a great passer when you choose to only pass to one guy (for the most part), so that's on him. People have adjusted. He should shoot more.

I would say that he's at the very least more patient with the puck when he has possession than is Galchenyuk at this moment. I hope Chucky can relax a little bit and not try to force it all the time. It'll come.
DD can make some nifty passes, I don't dispute that. But I think Galchenyuk is infintely better right now and I see no reason not to have him playing first line minutes. He's just a flat out better player.

DD is a 3rd line talent (at best) taking up 1st line minutes. To me it just doesn't make any sense.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik

DD is a decent passer but being so one-dimensional makes him so predictable that he would have to reach Ovechkin-level greatness at his one trick to justify being a #1C(or even #2C). Of course, being so easily smothered when teams amp up their physical game makes his decent-to-good one trick basically null, as we see over and over in the POs. I don't believe this team would suffer at all with the outright removal of DD from the lineup honestly.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I am aware that he's better than average in passing skill but in the end, it's not that effective, not for the role we are giving him. I'm not questioning his passing and vision but his effectiveness. You can be labeled as great a playmaker but if you only get 35 assists as a first center playing with a 35 goals scorer and on every PP, you're not getting the job done.

We can't have a 50 pts 1st center forever that gets all the offensive minutes. It doesn't cut it. To me, DD has peaked, what we saw is what we get, nothing more.

Galchenyuk to me looked better in the same role. He's more effective and more productive. Of course there's some part of his game as center that needs to be worked on but he can't work on it if he's not playing center. Let's not pretend like he was a failure when tried at center this season, he EASILY as good or even better than DD.

Yeah I get that if we put Galchenyuk on center would create a whole on the left side but who cares, we are losing important development time for Galchenyuk at center.

And it's not like we ABSOLUTELY have to put Galchenyuk as our first center, why not put him on the 2nd line, he'd have less responsibilities and we'd actually have a good first line (with Plekanec), that can be good on both sides of the ice.

I've said this a million time, Galchenyuk should center Eller and Gallagher on the 2nd line, put Eller in center when we need a face-off or to protect a lead.

Weise-DD-DSP on the third line. It's not that bad for a third line.

your are mixing things up though, I said DD is a better passer/vision, just that he's having a bad year. Maybe he has peaked, could very well be true, maybe Galchenyuk would be a better center then him or he might not be as I don't know. But I don't think any forward on the Habs is a better passer then DD, perhaps it's finally caught up to him that teams know he can't do much else then pass the puck so it makes him so easy to defend against since he's so small and is a one trick pony. But to me if though he's had a bad year, he's still the best passer among the forwards.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

I'd say Desharnais IS shooting more. His goals totals have been rising, haven't they?

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
your are mixing things up though, I said DD is a better passer/vision, just that he's having a bad year. Maybe he has peaked, could very well be true, maybe Galchenyuk would be a better center then him or he might not be as I don't know. But I don't think any forward on the Habs is a better passer then DD, perhaps it's finally caught up to him that teams know he can't do much else then pass the puck so it makes him so easy to defend against since he's so small and is a one trick pony. But to me if though he's had a bad year, he's still the best passer among the forwards.

Again, you can call him the best passer of the team (which is possibly true) all you want but if it doesn't transfer in assists and production, what's the point?

In the last 3 seasons, he has an average of 0.41a per game. That's 34 assists for an 82 games season. Considering that he played 95% of those games with Pacioretty who score an average of 38g per 82 games. DD is not just having ONE bad year. He's simply a player that is LABELED has a great passer but doesn't get a lot of assists.

Just as a comparison, Joe Thornton (yeah I know I'm comparing DD with one of the best here but it's a similar comparison because he plays with Pavelski who is a bit like our Pacioretty in term of number of goals. Thornton in the last 3 years has 0.73 assists per game, which is about 60 assists per season. That is what I called a great playmaker and his good passing skills is converted in assists.

Ok you might say it's not fair because I compare DD with probably the best passer in the game, let's compared DD to Ribeiro, another great passer. I don't think it's a fair comparison because didn't have a 35g+ to play with in the last 3 years but what the heck. Ribeiro in the last 3 years has an average of 0.54 assist per game=45 assists per 82 games. Still a lot better than DD.

So again, even if he is labeled as a great passer, playmaker, he's still not an effective player because his skills doesn't transfer in production and as an offensive player, that's what we expecting from him.

To get back to my initial point, justifying DD's utilisation as our first center because he's our best playmaker doesn't cut it for me. He's been a disappointment in the last 3 regular seasons and 2 playoffs. How long will it take to realize that even if he's apparently our best passer, he's not an effective player?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Again, you can call him the best passer of the team (which is possibly true) all you want but if it doesn't transfer in assists and production, what's the point?

In the last 3 seasons, he has an average of 0.41a per game. That's 34 assists for an 82 games season. Considering that he played 95% of those games with Pacioretty who score an average of 38g per 82 games. DD is not just having ONE bad year. He's simply a player that is LABELED has a great passer but doesn't get a lot of assists.

Just as a comparison, Joe Thornton (yeah I know I'm comparing DD with one of the best here but it's a similar comparison because he plays with Pavelski who is a bit like our Pacioretty in term of number of goals. Thornton in the last 3 years has 0.73 assists per game, which is about 60 assists per season. That is what I called a great playmaker and his good passing skills is converted in assists.

Ok you might say it's not fair because I compare DD with probably the best passer in the game, let's compared DD to Ribeiro, another great passer. I don't think it's a fair comparison because didn't have a 35g+ to play with in the last 3 years but what the heck. Ribeiro in the last 3 years has an average of 0.54 assist per game=45 assists per 82 games. Still a lot better than DD.

So again, even if he is labeled as a great passer, playmaker, he's still not an effective player because his skills doesn't transfer in production and as an offensive player, that's what we expecting from him.

To get back to my initial point, justifying DD's utilisation as our first center because he's our best playmaker doesn't cut it for me. He's been a disappointment in the last 3 regular seasons and 2 playoffs. How long will it take to realize that even if he's apparently our best passer, he's not an effective player?

If Pac had a slump this year and only scored 20 goals, would you still consider him the teams best sniper? As for DD's last 3 seasons, one was the lockout, the previous season he had 44 assists. But just because the numbers aren't there, doesn't mean he isn't the teams best passer among the forwards as we have a low scoring team and one that lacks offensive talent. You can be a good passer and not get a lot of assists if your teammates can't burry it. On top of that we are talking about one of the smallest players in the league that can only do one thing so teams are able to shut him down easily. Still doesn't mean he's not the best passer.

As for you point about DD being our first center, I don't care if it cuts it for you or not as I never said anything about him being the first center, I said he was the best passer but you keep wanting to bring up your agenda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad