Confirmed with Link: Riley Nash to Carolina for 46th pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Apparently it wouldn't have been until the 2012 draft that the Oilers would have received a compensatory draft pick for Nash. Cutting their losses and making the deal to get a good 2nd round pick for him now was essentially a no-brainer. This gives Marincin 2 years to develop and even if he ends up not making the Oilers for whatever reason... Nash wouldn't have been either so it's a good trade.

Go with a new player that hopefully DOES want to play on the Oilers eventually. I'm sure that's a question that was raised in the interviews.

I'd ask every prospect straight up first off... would you want to live in Edmonton for 10 years and play for us?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
As I have stated many times I fell out of love with Nash a long time ago. He's an entitled little princess, imo. He hasn't progressed at all over the last 3 years and wants stuff handed to him on a platter because of his draft position. This was a good lesson for the Oilers to learn about NCAA players. If they are going to a crap program, skip them, at least early. Good riddance.

And welcome Marincin!!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Aside from the actual player my concern is how does a club squander a first round pick on any player that never had an interest in playing for your club which is seemingly the case here?

Is this possibly an indication of the lack of due diligence that might have been going on here as little as a few years ago?

Even if it was not that clear whether he wanted to be here or not how tough would it be to ascertain some problems with attitude and desire in this player 3 years ago?

Too many centers? Or didn't want to compete here?

I'd love to see the research that the Oil did on this player before picking him.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Aside from the actual player my concern is how does a club squander a first round pick on any player that never had an interest in playing for your club which is seemingly the case here?

Is this possibly an indication of the lack of due diligence that might have been going on here as little as a few years ago?

Even if it was not that clear whether he wanted to be here or not how tough would it be to ascertain some problems with attitude and desire in this player 3 years ago?

I'd love to see the research that the Oil did on this player before picking him.

There could be a lack of due diligence in the interview process. The problem I see with this is that I can't see any agent recommending that their prospect player honestly tell teams that he is not really interested in them.

Obviously, before you are drafted you are uncertain of where you will go and you don't want to close any doors. It's like a job interview; you put your best foot forward in all of them, just in case the worst one is the only offer you get.

In sum, I don't think the Oilers could have really known. They were actually raving about Nash's intelligence markers from their interview, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There could be a lack of due diligence in the interview process. The problem I see with this is that I can't see any agent recommending that their prospect player honestly tell teams that he is not really interested in them.

Obviously, before you are drafted you are uncertain of where you will go and you don't want to close any doors. It's like a job interview; you put your best foot forward in all of them, just in case the worst one is the only offer you get.

In sum, I don't think the Oilers could have really known.
Maybe so. But one of the things I've found interesting is how much circumspection the Oilers #1 pick got this year. Of course its a #1 pick and the first one in Oiler history but in my impression this club went from maybe not exercising enough diligence to spending more time on this one consideration than NASA does on a shuttle launch. ;) I can't recall a club ever doing this much analysis for the one pick. Perhaps as it should be but I just wonder if its indicative of a shift in mindset, a realizing that they need to be more studious, more thorough, and not screw it up.

All speculation of course.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

Look how good these kids are at the interviews now...they all have interview coaches before the combine so I'm sure it would be pretty easy for people to hide character flaws...you always here of a couple people interviewing bad but for the most the kids seem to say the right things to all the teams

Did you listen to what Stu Macgregor said about him? He said that his camp contacted the Oilers like over a year ago, after both groups relationship wasn't very good, and he said Riley's camp thought the Oilers had too much centre depth...like really? really? if that was the time frame then we hadn't even drafted Lander....and even if we had we have like no centre depth in the future...we can disregard Horcoff b/c Nash after his last year of Cornell + 2 years in the AHL wouldn't even be battling for a spot with Horcoff...so that leaves Gagner, Brule, and Cogs for young centre depth...I'm sorry but if that's their reason (and not just an excuse b/c they don't wanna play here) then this kid is obviously not ready to compete for a job in the NHL...does he think that any other teams are gonna have no centres and he is just gonna walk onto the team and play 2nd line minutes? To me the kid seems content that his development is going downhill and doesn't seem dedicated to playing in the NHL

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Look how good these kids are at the interviews now...they all have interview coaches before the combine so I'm sure it would be pretty easy for people to hide character flaws...you always here of a couple people interviewing bad but for the most the kids seem to say the right things to all the teams
I conduct assessments for a living. It isn't all that difficult to note "trying to look good" and to get a gauge on inconsistency and deceit and to devise questions or use psych testing profile instruments that would result in stumbles. This not even considering forensic interviews, and profiling.

Hell any Lawyer here worth his salt could cross examine any of these players at the combine and cause some major foot in mouth syndrome.
This is a Billion buck org in todays huge dollar pro sports. Yet as depicted in the "Oilchange" last week the Oil still conduct interviews with #1 picks with their own personnel and scouts. As if any of them are experts in interviewing. As if a LARGER room of people with studious eyes results in more information. To me it looked blind. They could have 20 people in the room all practicing outside of their competence and it wouldn't matter much. I wonder if they crossreferenced their own conducted interviews with several other contracted interviews and assessments.

An 18 yr old kid alone in a room in an interview is going to stumble a lot if the right interviewing instruments and approaches are used. These were largely feel good interviews depicted in Oilchange. (not saying that is inappropriate in the Hall-Seguin situation but it needs to be far more of an intrusive process when engaging the less than sure thing picks.)

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I conduct assessments for a living. It isn't all that difficult to note "trying to look good" and to get a gauge on inconsistency and deceit and to devise questions or use psych testing profile instruments that would result in stumbles. This not even considering forensic interviews, and profiling.

Hell any Lawyer here worth his salt could cross examine any of these players at the combine and cause some major foot in mouth syndrome.
This is a Billion buck org in todays huge dollar pro sports. Yet as depicted in the "Oilchange" last week the Oil still conduct interviews with #1 picks with their own personnel and scouts. As if any of them are experts in interviewing. As if a LARGER room of people with studious eyes results in more information. To me it looked blind. They could have 20 people in the room all practicing outside of their competence and it wouldn't matter much. I wonder if they crossreferenced their own conducted interviews with several other contracted interviews and assessments.

An 18 yr old kid alone in a room in an interview is going to stumble a lot if the right interviewing instruments and approaches are used. These were largely feel good interviews depicted in Oilchange. (not saying that is inappropriate in the Hall-Seguin situation but it needs to be far more of an intrusive process when engaging the less than sure thing picks.)

You put an 18 year old in a room with 2 lawyers, 2 psychiatrists, and the head scout to monitor the answers...and then let the lawyers use cross examining technques and let the psychiatrists ask questions like "which letter in the alphabet resembles you the best?" and have the kids at the combine are going to fail in the interviews...then in first 3 rounds you have to avoid 50 kids because they failed the lawyers cross-examination? A good lawyer could probably convince me I was lying even if I was telling the truth lol

Let's say the kid is a good kid, loves his family, likes hockey, but simply doesn't have the determination to compete for a job in the NHL? Would that come out in the 15 minutes?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You put an 18 year old in a room with 2 lawyers, 2 psychiatrists, and the head scout to monitor the answers...and then let the lawyers use cross examining technques and let the psychiatrists ask questions like "which letter in the alphabet resembles you the best?" and have the kids at the combine are going to fail in the interviews...then in first 3 rounds you have to avoid 50 kids because they failed the lawyers cross-examination? A good lawyer could probably convince me I was lying even if I was telling the truth lol
:D
Of course people get the wrong idea of assessment and like its all Rorschach inkblots or something.;)
The purpose of the profiling would not be pass or fail as much as offering further insight and information on the actual person. For instance to differentiate things like internal intrinsic motivation vs external motivation from coaches, parents, that push you.
This being just an example but the circumstantial comments often used by scouts are imo looking for something that may or may not be there. They really guess what the kid might be like on the basis of the kid volunteered at the Boys and Girls club. Except they might not know the kid complains about having to do it each time and its strictly window dressing. Hook, line and sinker.
Ascertaining the difference between the internal person's makeup and the outside influences that might make them do certain things is essential. As is differentiating some basic nature vs nurture.

When you draft a kid you're not hiring the parents and every previous coach and teacher. You got the kid. Thats it. When you don't know how to differentiate you end up with a potential Riley Nash situation 3 yrs later. I sincerely doubt the questionable attitude and internal motivation relative deficit just popped up. I bet it was there.

Let's say the kid is a good kid, loves his family, likes hockey, but simply doesn't have the determination to compete for a job in the NHL? Would that come out in the 15 minutes?
Well it sure shouldn't be 15 mins.
Whats the monetary value of a top pick in todays big business pro sports world? Whats it worth? Millions easily.

Its a huge investment. In most pro sports markets the personnel you carefully choose entirely influence your subsequent sales, revenue, networth. The value could be infinite with the right pick(s).

As they once were.

Last edited:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
:D
Of course people get the wrong idea of assessment and like its all Rorschach inkblots or something.;)
The purpose of the profiling would not be pass or fail as much as offering further insight and information on the actual person. For instance to differentiate things like internal intrinsic motivation vs external motivation from coaches, parents, that push you.
This being just an example but the circumstantial comments often used by scouts are imo looking for something that may or may not be there. They really guess what the kid might be like on the basis of the kid volunteered at the Boys and Girls club. Except they might not know the kid complains about having to do it each time and its strictly window dressing. Hook, line and sinker.
Ascertaining the difference between the internal person's makeup and the outside influences that might make them do certain things is essential. As is differentiating some basic nature vs nurture.

When you draft a kid you're not hiring the parents and every previous coach and teacher. You got the kid. Thats it. When you don't know how to differentiate you end up with a potential Riley Nash situation 3 yrs later. I sincerely doubt the questionable attitude and internal motivation relative deficit just popped up. I bet it was there.

Well it sure shouldn't be 15 mins.
Whats the monetary value of a top pick in todays big business pro sports world? Whats it worth? Millions easily.

Its a huge investment. In most pro sports markets the personnel you carefully choose entirely influence your subsequent sales, revenue, networth. The value could be infinite with the right pick(s).

As they once were.

Well I know the interviews at the combine are only 15 mins lol...and that is usually the only time the team would ever talk face-to-face with a player before the draft...obviously lottery picks are on exception, but in Riley's case those 15 mins were the only test...Stu said he makes all the players due some sort of psych evaluation and questionaire as well over email, but it doesn't like any rigorous evaluation process

Do you think that any team in the NHL does more testing of character than the combine interviews and a team evaluation online? I'm curious to know what other teams do, because if we assume all 30 teams conduct the same level of testing then can we fault the Oilers? In relative terms, it would just seem we got some bad luck...should we expend twice the resources and twice the amount of time than other teams to make sure this never happens?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Pennies on the dollar. One has to know when to dump a bad stock. It is shocking to hear Nash's representative comment about the perception of too many centres in Oil Country. That is either the lamest high school way to say 'I don't like you' or a very troubling fear of competition from a pro hockey prospect.

The Oil salvaged likely their best return beyond deal sweetener in a big deal (which was unlikely). For a smart kid who chose Cornell, he's made some dumb decisions in gambling on his career aspirations as an NHL player. Two and out would have given him some maturation time in college and then on to pro apprenticeship. A tell was not being invited back at 19 to Canada's U20 tryouts.

I like the Marincin pick. Big, strong Euro dman, who is apparently unafraid to compete and improve his game in North America.We've seen a big shift in Oil drafting philosophy in picking CHL kids. Let's hope Nash gets that piece of paper from Cornell because his pro potential and development has stalled out in the pursuit to play with his brother. And anyone afraid to compete for an NHL roster job is better suited to a non-traditional hockey market. Oil flush a bad stock for a potentially good return.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Maybe so. But one of the things I've found interesting is how much circumspection the Oilers #1 pick got this year. Of course its a #1 pick and the first one in Oiler history but in my impression this club went from maybe not exercising enough diligence to spending more time on this one consideration than NASA does on a shuttle launch. ;) I can't recall a club ever doing this much analysis for the one pick. Perhaps as it should be but I just wonder if its indicative of a shift in mindset, a realizing that they need to be more studious, more thorough, and not screw it up.

All speculation of course.

In the case of Nash he is not without his fair share of questionable moves

The oilers knew when they drafted him that he was going to school and that was very important to him. Howevere, communication is a two way street and all indications are the advice on his physical aspect or his training plan that the oilers thought would be helpfull. He ignored it. There were rookie camps near to him where he could have went to learn and do stuff and he declined.

Something happened early in this guys development that sent the two parties down a dewad end street

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
At Replacements request, let's carry on the Riley Nash conversation in here. Can someone repost that link, its a decent read.

So Riley Nash leaves Edmonton and officially turns into Riley Cash.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The moment TPS let out that article about Nash in the past, I had a hunch he was too over himself. It's unfortunate the 1st rounder was wasted on him.

Whats that loophole for NCAA draftees becoming UFA's? NCAA followed by 1 year of CHL or was it hte reverse?

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005

That article gets some facts wrong. If Nash decides to stay one more year, they have more than 30 days to sign him following the end of his NCAA season. They have until August 15, 2011. If they don't sign him by then he doesn't re-enter the draft he becomes a free agent (much like Blake Wheeler).

If he leaves college today, they still have a year to sign him. Similar to the R.J. Umberger situation.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
The moment TPS let out that article about Nash in the past, I had a hunch he was too over himself. It's unfortunate the 1st rounder was wasted on him.

Whats that loophole for NCAA draftees becoming UFA's? NCAA followed by 1 year of CHL or was it hte reverse?
The Van Ryn loophole? It was being drafted as a college player and then playing a year in the CHL but the last CBA closed it. As of now, it's August 15th of the year you graduate or else.

FlyingPhi

Jan 9, 2008
Playa Hermosa
What a start for Riley! Leading his team is points, top unit PK, most F/O taken on team and a decent winning percentage. Nice little spotlight on him during tonight's highlights against the Lames.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Really unfortunate draft choice the Oilers had there. Don't know how much blame you can put on the organization though. Kid was born in Alberta and raised in BC. One would think you'd be able to coerce the kid into playing for you eventually. Not only that, most kids don't know what they want to do at 18, how could Oilers have identified that?

Not only that, it took the kid 8 Seasons after his draft to have a meaningful impact. Even if the Oilers-Nash didn't give up on eachother, in that time frame he could have been traded anyways due to lack of progress.

The Oilers also got Marincin out of trading him, so it's somewhat a consolation. Haven't seen much of Nash this season, his stat-lines look good, but who knows if he'll keep it up. I'm sure he was gifted ice time so far with the Staals being out for a period.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What a start for Riley! Leading his team is points, top unit PK, most F/O taken on team and a decent winning percentage. Nice little spotlight on him during tonight's highlights against the Lames.

I always felt like he'd be a player when I used to watch him at Cornell, that said he didn't want to be here and Marincin will be a good player for us or a good trading chip.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Really unfortunate draft choice the Oilers had there. Don't know how much blame you can put on the organization though. Kid was born in Alberta and raised in BC. One would think you'd be able to coerce the kid into playing for you eventually. Not only that, most kids don't know what they want to do at 18, how could Oilers have identified that?

Not only that, it took the kid 8 Seasons after his draft to have a meaningful impact. Even if the Oilers-Nash didn't give up on eachother, in that time frame he could have been traded anyways due to lack of progress.

The Oilers also got Marincin out of trading him, so it's somewhat a consolation. Haven't seen much of Nash this season, his stat-lines look good, but who knows if he'll keep it up. I'm sure he was gifted ice time so far with the Staals being out for a period.

His pro numbers so far in his career in both the AHL and NHL suggest it's pretty unlikely he keeps it up. This is his 5th year of pro hockey and the first time he's had any sort of offensive impact. Maybe he's figured it all out... or maybe he's had an unusually hot first month of the season.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Check out these numbers for Cornell's goaltender, Ben Scrivens, over the last 4 years.

2006-07 Cornell University NCAA 12 0 2 574 22 0 1 2.30 3 6 2 224 0.911
2007-08 Cornell University NCAA 35 1 2 1965 66 0 4 2.02 19 12 3 883 0.930
2008-09 Cornell University NCAA 36 0 2 2152 65 0 7 1.81 22 10 4 871 0.931
2009-10 Cornell University NCAA 34 0 0 2018 63 0 7 1.87 21 9 4 894 0.934

Does the Ivy League play hockey like International Soccer? Or is this guy that good?

He is that good. Ask the Sharks. :sarcasm:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His pro numbers so far in his career in both the AHL and NHL suggest it's pretty unlikely he keeps it up. This is his 5th year of pro hockey and the first time he's had any sort of offensive impact. Maybe he's figured it all out... or maybe he's had an unusually hot first month of the season.

I haven't seen nearly as much of him since he turned pro. But in Cornell he looked to have 2C NHL upside. He may never get there but I was often baffled as to why he had such poor stats in Charlotte when he had some skill to his game. That said I HIGHLY doubt that he keeps up this kind of a scoring pace.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

I'm banking on unusually hot first month. Won't be many other months a player of his calibre is gifted top line center and offense minutes due to injuries.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'm banking on unusually hot first month. Won't be many other months a player of his calibre is gifted top line center and offense minutes due to injuries.

Exactly. It's the old somebody has to produce. Sometimes the team is so bad, that people's numbers are inflated. This won't last long. Christ, it took him longer to make an impact than a defenseman, taken years later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad