Confirmed with Link: Riley Nash to Carolina for 46th pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilerdiehard

Aug 9, 2005
Pennsylvania
Canes fan here.......

I was wondering what to expect from Riley as a player if he does sign with us one day. What's his max potential? A 3rd line Center?

I got to see him play in college a fair bit.

His upside is likely a 2nd or 3rd line center. He is good on face offs, a good PK guy and solid all-around defensively. He is not physical or a hitter, though I think he handled taking some physical abuse and fight through it. His offensive upside is the question mark, it will decide if he makes the show whether or not his a second or third line guy. I think staying so long in an Ivy league program has hurt his development a little. They only play just over 30 games in an entire season.

Hopefully he turns into something decent for you guys. I have a feeling he will, but especially since he went the Ivy route, he likely needs a couple seasons in the AHL.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Whenever I think of Nash, I can't help but picture him as "Andy" from The Office, 5 years from now as he rides his desk and basks in the glow of his Agricultural Sciences degree while he waits for that damn coffee machine to finish percolating:

"I went to Cornell!"

Seriously though, I'd be surprised if he didn't ditch his final year and sign a pro deal with Carolina now. IMO it's always been about him wanting to get away from the Oilers rather than finishing his degree as the main reason he didn't want to sign with the Oilers this summer.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
I'm happy with this move, Nash wasn't going to sign here, so cut him loose and move on. You can't worry about what he cost the Oilers in order to draft him, it's time to look ahead. In my eyes, we just unloaded one more distraction to a young team that is actually following though on their promise to change the culture of the club. Good move, just a few more to go.

the word*

Whenever I think of Nash, I can't help but picture him as "Andy" from The Office, 5 years from now as he rides his desk and basks in the glow of his Agricultural Sciences degree while he waits for that damn coffee machine to finish percolating:

"I went to Cornell!"

Seriously though, I'd be surprised if he didn't ditch his final year and sign a pro deal with Carolina now. IMO it's always been about him wanting to get away from the Oilers rather than finishing his degree as the main reason he didn't want to sign with the Oilers this summer.

It will be interesting to see what route he takes this upcoming season.

Oilbender

Mar 6, 2008
I'm pretty uncomfortable with this. I've watched a fair amount of Riley Nash and think he'll pan out to be a pretty good player. Thems the breaks though I guess.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
So a pick that everybody thought was a mistake when it occurred...turns out to be a mistake. Way to go, Oilers :shakehead. Chalk that one up with Pouliot and Niinimaaki as first rounders who everyone knew was a poor pick, except of course the dummies making the selection.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
So a pick that everybody thought was a mistake when it occurred...turns out to be a mistake. Way to go, Oilers :shakehead. Chalk that one up with Pouliot and Niinimaaki as first rounders who everyone knew was a poor pick, except of course the dummies making the selection.

It wasn't a poor pick at all in terms of hockey talent. Look back at that draft.

You're conflating the bad arguments from 2007 for why the pick was bad with stuff that developed after the draft.

Oilmageddon*

Nash was a modest producer in a inferior college division. also his numbers in teir 2 dwarfed Turris who is struggling to become a regular Nhler I think getting back a 2nd round pick is great. And that pick will play more games in the NHL than Nash. And his attitude is not good. better something for him than nothing is good. Also the Oilers were so high on Turris in 2007 Thier reasoning was the were getting the second best center out of the bchl. I am glad the scouting has changed.

the word*

Nash was falling down the forward prospect list quickly. Marincin is quickly climbing the defense prospect list. When looking at the organization's needs, Nash getting us Marincin, was very fortunate.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
We traded UP for this dude. We could have had David Perron if we wanted .... or we could have NOT traded up and taken P.K. Subban and Eric Tangradi ...

Sure the talent was thinning out a little bit but there were still good players on the board after 30 and 36, and certainly several very good players at 21...

We singled out this guy and paid a big price to draft him. Please don't try to view this through the lens of your rose colored glasses. Its not the end of the world, we squeezed some value out of the situation... but there is no realistic way of seeing this as anything but a failure.

PepsiFiend

Feb 19, 2009
We traded UP for this dude. We could have had David Perron if we wanted .... or we could have NOT traded up and taken P.K. Subban and Eric Tangradi ...

Sure the talent was thinning out a little bit but there were still good players on the board after 30 and 36, and certainly several very good players at 21...

We singled out this guy and paid a big price to draft him. Please don't try to view this through the lens of your rose colored glasses. Its not the end of the world, we squeezed some value out of the situation... but there is no realistic way of seeing this as anything but a failure.

Hindsight is always 20/20... The oilers were not the only team to pass on Subban and Tangradi.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
There is a reason why the Oilers pretty much selected all players from the CHL barring the 2 Euros this draft and Marancin will be playing in the CHL or AHL anyway. I think they may have cooled off on College kids for bit now

420ilerBuzz*

One less "me, me, me" prospect to deal with. Can't stand kids who think they're owed something when they haven't proven squat.

Good riddance.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Regardless of where one falls on the Nash debate, I'll bet that one of the end results from this mess will be that it'll be quite the while before the Oilers spend another 1st round pick on a NCAA bound kid again...or at least they'll first make sure that he's going to a program that has a good hockey pedigree.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
One less "me, me, me" prospect to deal with. Can't stand kids who think they're owed something when they haven't proven squat.

Good riddance.

this...

i still don't understand what the problem was with nash, seems like the oilers had a plan for him and he had his own plan which obviously differed, glad he's gone, this club can't waste anymore time on people who don't want to be here... good work on tambo for cleaning up the mistakes of the past

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Glad they got rid of him this year rather wait another year, 2010 is projected to be a stronger class anyway than 2011. I hope the oil stay away from drafting NCAA kids with 1st rounders unless in the interview their is an understanding that they don't intend to go for 4 years.

These kids are getting a bit of a free ticket with being able to back into the draft after they are done school. How many of these 4 year players actuall do much in the NHL. Please let me know as I am too lazy and short of time to search for this stat.

Thanks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Glad they got rid of him this year rather wait another year, 2010 is projected to be a stronger class anyway than 2011. I hope the oil stay away from drafting NCAA kids with 1st rounders unless in the interview their is an understanding that they don't intend to go for 4 years.

These kids are getting a bit of a free ticket with being able to back into the draft after they are done school. How many of these 4 year players actuall do much in the NHL. Please let me know as I am too lazy and short of time to search for this stat.

Thanks

The kid can do 4 yrs, imo, as long as he's willing to listen and work with the team, the sense is that he was not.

I like the idea that the Oilers are putting a significant emphasis on the interview process.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Lack+interest+Nash+departure/3210545/story.html

According to MacGregor, Nash's agent said the Oilers had "too many centers".

um no

Based upon what has happened over the past two years--it is more then just that.

From the moment the oilers drafted him--Nash and the team were never on the same page and one report had nash representitives telling the oilers not to even watch him play this season. So, the too many centre's thing is just taking the high road in a very messy situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad