Confirmed with Link: Riley Nash 1 year 750k

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Not that I necessarily agree with it but given how Maurice likes to deploy his lines I think a player like Nash can pull it off perfectly,

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I think this is actually an interesting signing.

Not because of the impact he will make - I actually think he is a “won’t hurt you” type of player. But, is this a “small” signal that maybe we are turning around the guys won’t play in Winnipeg narrative?

I don’t want to overplay it, but I know that this player is respected in the league, and certainly could have gottten a $750k contract somewhere else. Not sure he factors in, but kinda like the signing
Winnipeg is a good place to turn your career around. The scouts find good players on the trash heap for cheap, they play well and go on to sign big deals (eg Forbert, Lewis, Thompson).

I think Winnipeg may be ahead of the curve when it comes to the "money puck" stuff. Also credit Maurice. Whatever he says to these guys seems to get them going.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Winnipeg is a good place to turn your career around. The scouts find good players on the trash heap for cheap, they play well and go on to sign big deals (eg Forbert, Lewis, Thompson).

I think Winnipeg may be ahead of the curve when it comes to the "money puck" stuff. Also credit Maurice. Whatever he says to these guys seems to get them going.
I really wouldn't say that Lewis and Thompson went on to sign big deals...

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I don't understand why it's obvious that he plays RW as a Jet instead of C. Feel free to explain.

We have plenty of centers but Ehlers/Wheeler as the only players that have played RW consistently. Hence I would assume he's a RW first.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't understand why it's obvious that he plays RW as a Jet instead of C. Feel free to explain.
Based on our roster makeup and the prospects that are ready to step into a fourth line roll it just makes sense. Gustafsson has long been being groomed for the fourth line C position. He got top line minutes with the moose last year even though he could have been up with the big club, likely so we don't immediately pigeon hole him for a role and gave him a chance to develop the offensive side of his game. Meanwhile on RW we have no prospects ready to go, hell even for veterans we have very few right shooting options. It's the most logical outcome then to expect a Harkins Gus Nash fourth line to start next year barring any more signings.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The best part of the Nash signing (other than him being a decent option, right-handed, and 750k) is that he is a great PK option. After Lowry and Copp (or is FA replacement if he isn't re-signed), we don't really have any forwards who have spent a significant amount of time on the PK. I'm curious who gets the fourth regular forward spot on the PK: do we groom a rookie for that roll (Harkins, Gus, Ves) or do we put in a veteran who has not historically been used in that role?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
A former teammate and familiar face for Dubois. Thats cool with me.

Hopefully he can help Dubois feel more comfortable out there.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Classic16

Sep 4, 2016
The best part of the Nash signing (other than him being a decent option, right-handed, and 750k) is that he is a great PK option. After Lowry and Copp (or is FA replacement if he isn't re-signed), we don't really have any forwards who have spent a significant amount of time on the PK. I'm curious who gets the fourth regular forward spot on the PK: do we groom a rookie for that roll (Harkins, Gus, Ves) or do we put in a veteran who has not historically been used in that role?
Out of everyone my guess is probably Toninato.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Also gives support to Gustafsson as a r/h shot for face offs. He’ll line up on the wing, but can be used on draws if Gus struggles or just when the face off is on Gus’ weak side.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
IIRC all of Harkins/Gus/Ves killed penalties on the Moose, so likely one of them is groomed for it.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
IIRC all of Harkins/Gus/Ves killed penalties on the Moose, so likely one of them is groomed for it.
That's how I would approach it as well, although Mo seems have a strong propensity towards only vets on the PK. Roster might force his hand here as none of the remaining established forwards have been used on the PK regularly to this point.

Reactions: snowkiddin

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Yeo. Harkins and Gus particularly were used in that role and were highly effective, although Ves is no slouch.

I'd say Gus has all the tools to be a high-level PKer for the Jets. Hopefully starting this season, pending cap and contract considerations.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nash >> Thompson
If that's the role he's in, then that's a great grab... if he's not played above the 4th line.

Then again, I said the same thing about Forbort as a #3LD... but then they used him as a #2LD.

We won't know for sure until TC but I think Nash replaces Lewis and Gustafasson plays 4C. At least I hope that is the plan.

So how does Nash compare to Lewis?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad